Please help me!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ariel
    @ariel-f
      • Total Posts: 50

So, I’ve always heard that you should write characters that the reader falls in love with and roots for, and today I came across this quote that got me thinking: “No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. No surprise for the writer, no surprise for the reader.”

Then I realized, I can’t write a character that readers fall in love with unless I’ve already fallen in love with the character. And the reader can’t cry for the character when bad things happen unless I already have.

One problem. How do you create a character and then think of them like a live person in order to do this? Once this girl said she cried every time she wrote bad things to happen to her character, how can I love my characters so much that I cry for them?

Of course, I can love and hate other people’s characters in other books I read and movies I watch, but I can’t seem to love my own. It’s not like I hate them, it’s just that they seem unreal and I have absolutely no feelings for them at all. Have I been going about things all wrong? Is this the big part of writing that I’ve been missing? I’m so confused.

Jenna Terese
      @jenwriter17
        • Total Posts: 2522

@ariel-f A lot of the time I try to put myself in the character’s shoes, or really get in their head. If I was that character, how would I feel if [fill in the blank] happened to me? Getting really deep into their internal conflict, backstories, lies they believe, their values, etc. really helps them come alive and connects them to both author and reader. So I think the most crucial thing about connecting to your characters is really figure out those things. Their struggles, conflict (with themselves and others), goals, dreams, values, insecurities, flaws, and lies they believe. Make them real and raw. Hope that helps!

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
        www.jennaterese.com

Anonymous
          • Total Posts: 1379

@ariel-f

I think @jenwriter17 has a great point. I try to really put myself in my character’s position, as well. Like, how would I feel if I were betrayed by my friend? How would I feel if my family member died? How would I feel if I learned a big secret that was kept from me for years?

I also think it works great if you can put in a little nugget that helps you relate to your character because you’ve personally gone through the same thing. For example, with my Biblical fiction about St. Paul’s sister, the Bible doesn’t tell us her age, so I could have made her older or younger or even a twin. But I decided I had to make her Paul’s younger sister, because I could relate to that (I’m a little sister myself). That way, it became so much easier for me to relate when she was worried about Paul or lonely for him, because I know that exact feeling. I don’t have any personal experience with being an older sister, so had I made her character that way, it would be harder for me to relate to Temira and write her feelings realistically.

I also find myself frequently writing betrayal storylines, because I’ve experienced betrayal from someone I least imagined would turn out that way. It’s definitely a journey to heal from an experience like that, and I find that putting my characters through the same thing really makes me feel for them. It also gives me a lot of hope and helps me along in the healing process, because at the end of the book my characters have learned that while people may betray them, God never will. So it’s a reminder and a lesson for me as well as for my characters.

And about literally crying for your characters… I’m here to tell you that that is not a requirement. Personally, I rarely shed actual tears while writing. And it doesn’t mean I’m not a good writer, because I have a deep emotional connection to my characters, I just don’t show it in that way. Go Teen Writers has a great article about this. Lemme share the link and pray that it works: How an Unemotional Writer Writes Emotions

Hope this helps! <3

Gracie J.
          @gracie-j
            • Total Posts: 1789

@ariel-f WHOA. This is a serious question! I actually don’t know if I’ve ever really given it much thought…to be honest, it usually just happens. That one character just stands out to you and their voice pours out of you like they’re a part of you…and, in a way, they are.

But what always helps me get to know my characters better is to talk about them (mainly to myself XD). Maybe I just start with some experience they went through as a kid or what they’re favorite color is…but I end up learning more about them and how they see the world and what their reactions to things are. It helps to record or write those charrie convos down, too, for future reference.

Another thing is to start thinking like them. No lie, but I cried during worship (actually, I always cry XD) in church yesterday not because the songs touched me personally but because they would’ve spoken to my characters. It’s when you watch a movie and think “Oh, so-n-so would love this” or hear a song and think “This sounds just like so-n-so” or read a quote and go to yourself “Dude, that fits so-n-so so well!”

(That’s a lot of sos.)

But I think what’s proven itself most effective time and time again is to pour yourself into your characters. Even if they’re nothing like you in personality or appearance of what they’ve gone through, give them a piece of you.

For example, my character Rina is the one I believe is the least like me in every way. Sure, maybe are personalities are kind of similar, but I really think we’re polar opposites in all aspects…except one. It was only recently that it hit me that just this one struggle she has spiritually is a lot like something I’ve dealt with.

Or Keaton. He’s a twenty-seven year old guy who lost his entire family and is now a pirate, right? And yet he’s literally my evil twin. (Actually, I’m probably the evil one…XD) Despite our physical differences and experiences that aren’t the same, our internal struggles and personalities are almost exactly alike. It’s kinda freaky sometimes.

So give your characters a piece of you and devote time to getting to know them. Then when you’re writing that emotional scene and you see the cry of your heart written in the place of your character’s words…you’ll know you’ve written a character you’ll cry over, break for, and love like a real person.

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Linyang Zhang
            @devastate-lasting
              • Total Posts: 1700

@ariel-f I remember one of my favorite manga artists saying that if the story he’s writing doesn’t surprise him, then he stops writing it. And I am always surprised and astounded by his work. Truly wise words.

To be honest, I struggle with this a lot. I honestly really dislike the characters I made back when I started writing (well, not dislike, per se, but I don’t like them) which is why I’m trying to revamp the whole thing and get excited again over the story. Only recently have I started really making main characters that I like, that I want to find out more about them. I guess it’s because nowadays I’ve embraced the life of pantsing, where I start out with just an image of a character and an overall impression, and write and have the character flow out of my pen. For me, it’s much more fun and entertaining than plotting everything out beforehand.

And I guess part of it is in my nature to not get so emotionally attached to things anymore. Rarely can a book or story make me elicit any sort of expression or screech or tears or laughter or anything now. And for my writing, I know my characters aren’t real. And I have so many of them, hundreds to keep track of and forget, and so many projects… No, I don’t get them mixed up, but I spend a lot less time with them, and once their story is over, I’m kind of sad because I won’t see them again.

And like, I don’t think that makes me a bad writer. Some people are really emotional, and honestly watching them I can hardly understand. Like, yeah, a scene was sad, but only one book has sent me sobbing before. So really, I think it differs from person to person. Just because you don’t feel emotional doesn’t mean you’re doing something wrong. Rather, I’d prefer to save my tears for a real person.

Anyways, since I also struggle with this, I’m looking forward to seeing everyone else’s responses. Best of luck!

Lately, it's been on my brain
              Would you mind letting me know
              If hours don't turn into days

Ariel
              @ariel-f
                • Total Posts: 50

@jenwriter17 @joy-caroline @gracie-j @devastate-lasting

Wow, Thanks guys! This helps a lot!

Anonymous
                  • Total Posts: 1379

@ariel-f

Glad I could help!

Gracie J.
                  @gracie-j
                    • Total Posts: 1789

@ariel-f Great! My pleasure!

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Linyang Zhang
                    @devastate-lasting
                      • Total Posts: 1700

@ariel-f Anytime!

Lately, it's been on my brain
                      Would you mind letting me know
                      If hours don't turn into days

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    >