Please Help: I need a character to fall off a roof and survive but be realistic

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Plotting Please Help: I need a character to fall off a roof and survive but be realistic

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Pen_for_Christ205
    @pen_for_christ205
      • Total Posts: 26

Hey everybody!
      I haven’t been on here for some time because, well, LIFE.

But I need your guys’ help on something.

So I have this character that needs to fall off a three-story roof, be generally okay, and have it be realistic. (if that’s even possible)

Could you guy please help me?

@FreedomWriter76 @KattheWriter @Elishavet Pidyon @Rylie Goodwin @koshka

Thank you so much!

I’m a little pencil in the hand of a writing God, who is sending a love letter to the world.

Power
      @power
        • Total Posts: 292

@pen_for_christ205

I love questions like this! Okay, here is some info regarding surviving a fall.

1) First off, around 50% of the people who fall from 4 stories (48 feet) don’t survive. In your case it’s a 3 story building, so the chances would likely be relatively higher, but still . . .

2) In most cases of people falling from extreme heights and surviving, they landed on something that broke their fall like a tree, glass roof, steep slope, snow, etc.

3) To survive a fall (and not be maimed for life) there are some places on your body you don’t want to land, maimly (Ha, see what I did there.) your head and your hips.

4) One of the most important thing to do when falling is to relax. (Ya, I know, crazy!) This helps your body absorb the impact, and keeps your from having a heart attack and dying before you hit the ground. (Apparently, this actually happens.) (Also, being relaxed while falling is why people drunk or unconscious sometime survive falls other’s don’t.)

5) When landing you want to land with your knees bent and arms over head. When you hit the ground, roll if possible (And from personal experience, it’s your kidneys that seem to get hurt.)

6) Just, because you’re not “hurt” doesn’t mean you didn’t break/sprain an ankle. (It is amazing how many paratrooper before/on D-Day had this happen to them, and yet they just dealt with it and continued on their mission.) (It also don’t mean that you wont be so bruised you can’t get out of bed the next morning.)

You will love what you spend time with.

Koshka
        @koshka
          • Total Posts: 1424

@pen_for_christ205

Hi! *Enthusiastic wave* Good to see you around. I haven’t been the steadiest on here myself. Work and the real world call.

Ah, interesting question! I think the Black Mongoose answered it pretty well. (Now I know who to tag when I have a similar question. Bwahaha!)

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Pen_for_Christ205
          @pen_for_christ205

@power

Thank you so much. This was very helpful. 🙂

I’m a little pencil in the hand of a writing God, who is sending a love letter to the world.

Ava Blue
            @ava-blue
              • Total Posts: 215

I’m afraid I don’t have any better advice than Power on this, I just wanna say I love the subject line 🤣

I’m facing a similar problem, but my character gets mauled by a grizzly. 🤔

that a northern wind
              would cool my skin
              and fill my lungs again

Anonymous
                • Total Posts: 8156

@ava-blue. Ack, girl, that’s terrifying. 😅 How will your character survive THAT!? 🤔

Anonymous

@pen_for_christ205. Ooh, wish I could help, but that is most definitely not my strong suit. 😅 All the best of luck to you though! @power put it perfectly. 👍

Pen_for_Christ205
                  @pen_for_christ205

@freedomwriter76

Thank you anyways!

Pen_for_Christ205
                    @pen_for_christ205

@ava-blue

Sheesh, girl! That’s quite a problem.

What I would say is do some research about how to survive a bear attack and maybe give your character some background knowledge about it… It could increase their chance of survival.

Anonymous

@pen_for_christ205. You’re very welcome! 😁 It’s good to hear from you again. 👍

Elishavet Pidyon
                        @elishavet-pidyon
                          • Total Posts: 1013

@pen_for_christ205

Remarkable survivals are always a bit hard to do because, of course, they’re remarkable.

(Wow. I am profound.)

I think @power did an awesome job with his answer, and I may end up coming back to this for my own how-can-this-posibly-happen needs. Seriously the amount of research… We have found the amateur expert.

The only thing I can add is that if it’s a rare occurrence, treat it like one. People have survived insane falls, but it’s not everyday life. (But when is a book everyday life?) When it happens, it’s remembered.

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Pen_for_Christ205
                          @pen_for_christ205

@elishavet-pidyon

Thank you, that’s an interesting thought. I think I shrugged it off too quickly in my story…

THank you all for your help

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          >