Outlining Thread

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Plotting Outlining Thread

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    calyhuge
    @calyhuge
      • Total Posts: 71

You mean you’re not going to publish it? 🥺🥺🥺

I ❤️ Debating Theology
      I ❤️ Family Heritage
      I ❤️ Medievals

The Ducktator
      @theducktator
        • Total Posts: 726

@whalekeeper

Finally, a use for all those sticky notes I got for my birthday! I’m not entirely sure why I wanted them, other than that it’s satisfying to know I own them.😂  Now I just need to find some space on my walls for this.

🎵How many toes does a fish have, and how many wings on a cow? I wonder, yup, I wonder!🎵

Keilah H.
        @keilah-h
          • Total Posts: 4743

@whalekeeper He’s four and a half years younger than me, so I doubt he’ll join for a little while if he does at all.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Linus Smallprint
          @linus-smallprint
            • Total Posts: 401

@whalekeeper

Now, the next part is important. DO NOT decide which idea you are going to use. Give it a rest for a day. Allow the ideas to mature. Then come back to it the next day and decide which idea you would like to use.

I’ve never heard that, but it makes sense since I usually tweak my new ideas the day after thinking of them.

This is something quite common I hear for designing and problem-solving. I’ve heard it in Web courses, a character design course I took, and a book called The Thinking Toolbox (Written by the same people as The Fallacy Detective if you are familiar with that.)

Do you put three lines of writing on an average notebook line? XD I fluctuate between writing two or three lines.

You beat me there. The smallest I have got is two lines on a notebook line. That is the average size I will do if not given notebook paper. I guess I got to work on my ‘Smallprint style’ more.

whaley
            @whalekeeper
              • Total Posts: 3147

@calyhuge

You mean you’re not going to publish it? 🥺🥺🥺

I didn’t say that. But I’m not going to say I will either, because I’m an undedicated uncontrollable teenager.

@theducktator

Sticky noooooootes. Those are perfect for this. I need to gimme some XD

@linus-smallprint

Oh yeah, I’m familiar with Fallacy Detective.

I think the most similar advice I’ve heard is to leave a draft for a while before coming back to it. Another great piece of advice is to leave the last bit of an idea/scene before writing it out, so you can think through it beforehand and create an easy prompt for your next writing session.

Haha, I guess there’s no way to know who has the smallest handwriting, but we both win that title in our respective irl social circles.

“Everything is a mountain”

Sara
              @savannah_grace2009
                • Total Posts: 2535

@whalekeeper

I LOVE THIS IDEA

I’m a super visual person so this might help a lot!

Lukas&Livia
                #Lalbert
                Sef&Chase
                #HOTTOLINE
                LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

whaley
                @whalekeeper

Is it just me, or do we need more tips for creating actual hands-on plot?

Like, I like learning about plot points, but brainstorming the actual meat of those points – “the zombies attack here and trigger the electric grid in xyz cities” – is hard. And no one really talks about it.

Why should I include a zombie attack at this moment? Are these specific cities going to be important to the plot later on, and will they be interesting or just too random to explore? How am I supposed to judge that? Should I focus on this zombie outburst or should it be within a wider picture plot device? Like what within this plot device is valuable, and what elements can be shrunk/exaggerated but still work? If it depends on the story, how can I gauge it?

I now understand how to gauge many plot devices through emotional decisions/consequences. But hey, there’s still more to learn. I’m not asking for advice exactly, but I wish popular creators would explain the hands-on part of plot… Like the Rising Action Beat, or whatever. It would help lots of people including me!

My bad for rambling, I’m nerdy about this stuff 😂

whaley
                  @whalekeeper

@savannah_grace2009

Heeeyy thank you! And yes, visuals are sooo helpful!! I really recommend color coding. It can be overwhelming at times, but it feels like a huge step up from containing everything in your head.

calyhuge
                    @calyhuge
                      • Total Posts: 71

@whalekeeper nerds rule

I guess I have a hands-on tool I haven’t said before: I created a game for my story, with hole-punch pieces on graph paper and ten pages of notes on how they work and move and stuff, and I use that to simulate battles. It adds some realism (so the good guys don’t win every time when the odds are stacked against them) and suspense, because there’s the real chance who I want to win won’t win. I play it against myself, in case you were wondering. I realize it’s less of a fun game than a world-building tool that I love (I can be a supernerd of radioactive proportions when I want to be) so if any of y’all wanted to spend a week creating something no one else will use, this might be a good use of it

I ❤️ Debating Theology
                      I ❤️ Family Heritage
                      I ❤️ Medievals

Linus Smallprint
                      @linus-smallprint
                        • Total Posts: 401

@whalekeeper

Haha, I guess there’s no way to know who has the smallest handwriting, but we both win that title in our respective irl social circles.

Ha ha! Okay

Keilah H.
                        @keilah-h
                          • Total Posts: 4743

@calyhuge ohhh that game idea’s so cool!!

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Sara
                          @savannah_grace2009
                            • Total Posts: 2535

@whalekeeper

My bad for rambling, I’m nerdy about this stuff 😂

YES YES YES
                            plotting is so hard for those exact reasons! I get sooo overwhelmed and just..give up lol

I’ll try that it sounds fun!!!!!!!!!

Lukas&Livia
                            #Lalbert
                            Sef&Chase
                            #HOTTOLINE
                            LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

whaley
                            @whalekeeper

@savannah_grace2009

It is!! I will probably post some more ideas soon.

I also don’t think everyone needs my advice/ideas because each person thinks in their own way. But I don’t know who will randomly see this topic and be helped by it. So again, anyone can give tips here because it might be of use in the future.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            >