One Year Adventure Novel

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions One Year Adventure Novel

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Hope Ann
    @hope
      • Total Posts: 1092

I’ve been hearing about the One Year Adventure Novel curriculum from various people and am wondering who here has/is taking it and what you think? Is it worth the price? About what writing level is it for. (Though I have written a few books of my own, I by no means claim to be an expert on writing. But is this something I would still get a lot from or does it cover more basic stuff that I should have already learned from painful experience?). And what about the forums and the workshops I’ve heard of? Any thoughts?

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Ezra Wilkinson
      @ezra-wilkinson
        • Total Posts: 146

It is a highschool curriculum, so it is designed to be informative to those in Grades 11 and 12, but perhaps more oriented toward Grades 9 and 10. I’ve honestly forgotten a lot of how it goes to be of much use to you.

If it’s not your first novel, I think it might be less useful as well…it’s kinda designed for first novel use, though I know many people who do it have done novels before, so who knows?

I think the Forum is possibly the most useful aspect of it. Many people, all willing to talk writerly things, do cool stuff, befriend you, critique your work…I’ve learned more from one hour on there, than from the curriculum itself I believe.

The Summer Workshops are week long workshops that take place in Olathe Kansas, where you go for a week of awesome. There are speakers, critique groups, and loads of amazing people. Good fun. Best week of my life. Very informative as well.

Rolena Hatfield
        @rolena-hatfield
          • Total Posts: 405

For me, the One Year Adventure Novel has been the best writing resource I’ve had so far. I did it when I was a Jr. in high school. I would say it’s way past the basics of writing. One of the things it did for me, was caused me to ask some of the hard questions about structuring my novel, ones that I would typically ignore because I thought they were too hard to answer or I didn’t think I needed them :p

I have a friend who went through multiple writing curriculum programs, but found that One Year Adventure Novel was her favorite and by far the best. The program is somewhat expensive, but I would definitely recommend it! Plus like Ezra said, I’ve heard the forum is an invaluable resource as well.

I think any writer can get lots from the curriculum. He talks a lot about character development, plot structure and theme, but I feel he explores them a lot deeper than I’ve seen some books and programs do. He also presents them in a fun way, making it easy to want to learn!

https://rolenahatfield.com/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        >