Not editing-writing

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Not editing-writing

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jada Morrison
    @jadamae
      • Total Posts: 199

One thing I struggle with while writing is trying to edit as I go. Because I love editing (Before I graded my older brother’s essay without being asked…..He wasn’t that happy but mom agreed with what I said :)) I get caught up with polishing what I have written instead of just getting the rough draft down. In addition to that, thanks to reading a ton of books, I know what good writing looks like, and that mine isn’t that good. I know practice is the only way to really improve, but I find it difficult. Suggestions are appreciated.

Daeus
      @daeus
        • Total Posts: 4238

What type of editing are you doing? Is it grammatical editing or literary editing? If it is grammatical editing, you may just being obstructing your creative juices, but there can be merit to doing literary editing as you go. By literary editing I mean things like giving your sentences a better flow, making the scenery more vivid, or polishing off your theme. sometimes these literary edits will have a dramatic (and positive) effect on what you write latter on.

If you want to improve your writing quickly, try finding someone who will critique your writing for you (KP will do this for you if it is a small selection). Others will be able to point out your faults far easier than you can. Once you know your faults, you will be able to improve faster.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hope Ann
        @hope
          • Total Posts: 1092

If you’re having problems with not getting the rough draft down because you’re too busy editing, you could come up with some sort of scheduled…like making sure you write 500 fresh words a day or something like that even if the rest of the time you spend editing.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Amanda Fischer
          @wordfitlyspoken
            • Total Posts: 79

Jada, I know how you feel. I think in the past year I hit a place where I’ve learned so much about writing without practicing it as I go that my writing feels woefully inadequate compared with my knowledge. And so I’ve had a hard time pressing on and writing a rough draft (or even my complete rewrite of a story, which isn’t quite the same as a rough draft, but it is writing rather than editing).

Unfortunately, I don’t have many suggestions, as this is something I’m still struggling with myself. What I’ve tried to do is take a deep breath and remind myself that the only way to write something good is to not be afraid of making mistakes. To finish things, even imperfect things. And then I try to relax and have fun with it. 🙂

This quote of Ally Carter’s really struck me. I have it taped to my bedroom wall now by my desk. 🙂

Ally Carter on writing

Hope this helps and I sincerely hope we both keep writing and get past this stage. 🙂

Jada Morrison
            @jadamae
              • Total Posts: 199

Daeus: I do both literary and grammatical, but more grammatical editing.

Hope: That could help. I’ll have to try that.

Amanda: That is a really good quote! The only thing is my time isn’t free, especially as I have two part time jobs, am working on college, and am participating in a Bible quizzing program. I am mildly busy. 🙂

Thanks for all your advice.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            >