Norse Mythology Short Story

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Short Story Critiques Norse Mythology Short Story

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    WarrenLuther04
    @warrenluther04
      • Total Posts: 270

@catwing @dragon-snapper @dekreel

I’m starting a short story on Norse/Viking mythology centering around an Alf named Ualair Fencaryn. (Yew-AH-lair Fehn-CAR-yin). Does this basic idea sound good?

Elf finds a magical stone that transports him through Yggdrasil to Midgard, Svartalfheim, Muspellheim, and eventually Niflheim. Must figure out how to get back to Alfheim. Is the prince of all elves, Loki teams up with head Jotun (Laufey) to capture/kill him. Laufey and Loki capture sister and/or lover. Surtr starts Ragnarok. Æsir die, many alfs die, must help bring the remaining elfs to the new Midgard, also called Earth. Must help alfs adjust to having to live with humans in persecution. Ends with modern time, elfs in hiding?

Any help will be appreciated.

Kapeefer 'Till We're Old and Grey!
      ENFJ-T ... I think (haven't taken the quiz in awhile)

Elizabeth
      @that_writer_girl_99
        • Total Posts: 1819

I understood most of the synopsis, but the last half of it was a bit choppy, could you explain it in a bit more detail?

I love your profile picture, by the way–though the Slytherin house symbol would look much better. 😉 @warrenluther04

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

WarrenLuther04
        @warrenluther04

@that_writer_girl_99 Yes, I imagined that that would happen. That was actually mostly just me jotting (well, typing…) my ideas down. Basically, after Ualair returns to Alfheim, Loki and Laufey will start Ragnarok: the death of Yggdrasil and the Nine Realms. The Aesir, or the Viking gods, will perish, along with the Jotuns, Vanir (the gods of Alfheim), Dwarves, and many of the Alf. Ualair managed to save a few of the Alf, and they make their way through the Ginnungagap (the Eternal Mist) somehow and into the new Midgard, or Earth, which is ruled by the one true God as foretold by the Norns’ prophecies of Ragnarok. Since the humans are hostile towards the Alf, they must go into hiding, kind of like the wizarding world is separate from that of the Muggles.

Umm, yeah…I’m a geek about mythology.

Thank you! I take it you are a Slytherin? They do have a cool House logo, though.

Elizabeth
          @that_writer_girl_99
            • Total Posts: 1819

Yep, Slytherin and proud. 😉

Okay, so it sounds like you’ve got all your plot events in order, but what I haven’t heard you mention are the characters. What motivates the characters to go through with this? What are they trying to learn? Have you thought about that at all?

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

WarrenLuther04
            @warrenluther04

@that_writer_girl_99 Yes, it’ll make sense in the story. I’m actually planning on posting it in the forum (possibly this one), but I need to figure out how to get the link. Thanks for the advice!

Snapper
              @dragon-snapper
                • Total Posts: 3515

@warrenluther04 Well, this seems like a pretty sturdy story idea. I like the idea of using this mythology with elves and stuff. (Or are the alfs?) 😛 Anyway, it’s like what @that_writer_Girl_99 said, that the character will be pretty important. How the character ties into that sort of plot. Maybe Loki and Laufey’s motivation. What they want.

If you have any specific questions, I’d be happy to help. 😀

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

WarrenLuther04
                @warrenluther04

@dragon-snapper Thanks! Yeah, I like Norse mythology. (And Greek, and Roman, and Egyptian, and *list goes on and on*) And “elf” and “alf” could be used either way, since they both apply to the same race. Yes, the characters are important!

Thanks! I will definitely post my story (which now has a title! yay! The Trials of Ualair Fencaryn) after it’s finished. Which will hopefully be sometime soon. 😀😛

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                >