NICE PARENTS CLUB

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters NICE PARENTS CLUB

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Whaley
    @whalekeeper
      • Total Posts: 2588

I’m baaaaack

@folith-feolin
      @felicity @loopylin @mineralizedwritings

Thank you for the encouragement <3 I’m glad other kids (or young adults!) agree with me. I’m not terribly emotionally attached to this topic, but sometimes I feel like I have to spoon out the justice? XD And that’s coming from an INFP\INFJ, who always tip toes around feelings.

@freedomwriter76

I’ll just say we’re both passionate teen Christian writers and leave it at that. XD

But as a side note, some of the people I love have been through this kind of thing. Except in their cases, it’s more of a sad gray area called emotional immaturity. As for generational trauma… I feel it. Maybe indirectly, but I soak it up like a silent sponge, because that’s just how I help others cope. It can be weird how sin makes ripples. (Research trauma induced amnesia.) That, plus a stupid genetic illness, just eats at me.

I don’t avoid it, I just don’t want us to get bogged down in it.

@gwyndalf-the-wise

I see we agree on a lot of things XD And feel free to rant some more, if you like. I agree that abuse in literature isn’t always for feels. There’s always an underlying intent, even if the writer themselves doesn’t realize it.

@godlyfantasy12

MIDDLE GRADE, MIDDLE GRADE, MIDDLE GR-

But seriously, the genre is underestimated. There are some real jewels out there.

Have you tried Mysterious Benedict Society? The Candymakers? The Magic Thief? Hugo Cabret?

I think you could find some good YA if you look hard enough XD KotLC is in my opinion more on the YA end, primarily because of the dramatic tone, constant love crazy side plots (lol) and the similarities to Harry Potter, which by the end is clearly YA.

@starshiness

Ofc!

@karissa-chmil

Mm… I am glad that we Christians can talk big picture, and ask the Hows and the Whys. It’s something I’ve been appreciating more and more as a budding highschooler, who needs something to latch onto. And I am also glad to say that in real life (not that this community isn’t great 😄), the people are just as thoughtful and God-seeking. To the point where us teens go out of our way to have theology book clubs, support each other, and just ask, ‘how are you spiritually today?’ And with complete concern. It’s awesome.

And thank you, naturally. *bows*

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

GodlyFantasy12
      @godlyfantasy12
        • Total Posts: 6645

@whalekeeper AHHH I LOVE THE BENEDICT SOCIETY AND THE CANDYMAKERS!!!

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
        #ProtectMarcel
        #ProtectSeb

Folith-Feolin
        @folith-feolin
          • Total Posts: 310

@whalekeeper

@godlyfantasy12

So the reason KOTLC (and Harry Potter) are in the middle grade section is because they place booms into sections based off of the first book in a series.

I can say that I also did enjoy mysterious Benedict Society. I was thinking about some good middle grade books and might I suggest Land of Stories or Sisters Grimm. (I was really into those like fractured fairytale series a wile ago).  I also liked the Black Book of Buried Secrets but that one is a bit odd and doesn’t exactly seem in the style of something you guys would like.

I will say I do agree that the YA section is a bit meh. Really the interesting is there is more of a gradual shift beetween the adult section and the middle grade section. I personally mostly read lit from the adult section now (I am a high schooler not an adult) just because I like the darker more complex themes and characters that books there usually explore.

Folith-Feolin
          @folith-feolin

I will say an interesting way to think about it is that basically the middle grade section includes the PG books.

Meanwhile the YA section includes the books that libraries bookstores and publishers think will appeal to teenagers regardless of their rating (mostly though this would include PG-13 rated books)

And the adult section includes the PG-13 and R rated books that don’t go in the the YA section.

Karissa Chmil
            @karissa-chmil
              • Total Posts: 96

@whalekeeper Mm, that’s such a blessing. Strong community around you is so beautiful. <3

wonder | beauty | truth | love

Anonymous
                • Total Posts: 8156

@folith-feolin Yeah, I read middle-grade on occasion when I find one I really like, but Adult and even YA are probably my go-to these days.

Folith-Feolin
                @folith-feolin

@freedomwriter76

Yeah I mostly read adult section stuff now.

If you want something to read (and I know I have said this a lot) I will have to recommend the Blade Itself By Joe Abercrombie. The simple way to explain it is an antithesis of Lord of the Rings. I think it’s really good because the writing is done really well and the characters are made very well.

Whaley
                  @whalekeeper

@folith-feolin

Thank you for the info, it was very… informative lol, I appreciate it. I used to be an apprentice librarian at my old church, but the YA and children’s were so mixed up – and so neglected by the kids – that they just never organized them.

@karissa-chmil

Yes, it certainly is. Yesterday we had another club meeting, and it was an amazing discussion. Really put the spirit in the Holy Spirit… Well, okay, it was the Holy Spirit putting the spirit into us XD *cough* Anyways. I’m pretty passionate about it.

Whaley
                    @whalekeeper

I thought of two cool things to do with fictional role models!

First off, I find it reeeeaaaaaally helps to picture them as they were years ago, as kids. Since we are kids (most of us), it makes the character more personal. More understandable. I’ve been thinking about my charrie Calvin’s dad, Connoc, and all I did was picture him as a teen – it made me want to use teen Connoc as a charrie XD

But after that, you have to add the authority

Since parents are placed over us by God, they have an authority over us, and deserve respect. We should replicate that with our charries.

I see a lot of books where the parents feel off. Then I realize, oh. They don’t feel like they’re in charge, or important. It’s like the MC can run away and never get in big trouble for it.

They need an air of leadership, and protective-ness.

One of my favorite examples (sorry to people who don’t read HP) is Molly Weasley. Her greatest fear is that her family will all be killed, and that her children (and by extension, Harry) will have a rough life. Sooooo she is always comforting and reassuring and giving hugs, making them cozy sweaters, encouraging them during the holidays – while still being strict, since she wants them to succeed in the Ministry.

She only shows her scared side while fighting a boggart in a wardrobe, was it? Crying when it transformed into dead versions of her children.

But she’s so brave and so cool! I’ve met some Mollys in real life, and they are amazing.

I think fathers especially need this authority, since they are the head of the household.

One reason why Connoc wasn’t working for me was that his first personality (mostly a stand in while I figured out other details) was a scholarly, timid, always scattering-papers-about sort of person. And that did not work with the family dynamic. That changed fast. With more maturity, and a clear authority in his household, he was a much better dad.

Basically it’s a teen charrie, matured, thrust into parenthood, and taking on the cloak of authority. Usually, you want the cloak to fit.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    >