NaNoWriMo

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Kylie
    @kballen
      • Total Posts: 65

@dragon-snapper @daugtheroftheking @epicaddie2 @emily @daeus @kate-flournoy @seekjustice @jess-penrose @xonos-darkgrate @jane-maree @catwing @anyelseI’msosorryIforgotyou Hey, Guys! I am going to try to do NaNoWriMo for the first time this year *jumps up and down excitedly* But I do have one problem, I have no idea how to get started! *bites fingernails nervously* Can you help me out? Also, is anyone else doing it?

Harry Potter forever!!!!

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 1486

@kballen Hi! I don’t think we’ve met yet, I’m Gabby. *Extends hand for a handshake* 🙂 This is your first time? That’s so exciting!!!! 😀

Well, I’d start with an outline. I know Nano is really close, but even a brief outline can keep you on the right track. Also, sitting down and brainstorming with your idea can help you know what you want to do so that during nano you don’t get stuck and grab the first idea that comes to you mind, which might not be the best one.

I’m sort of doing it. I’m editing a book instead of writing one. 🙂

Jessi Rae
        @jessi-rae
          • Total Posts: 250

Hi @kballen! I’m also doing NaNoWriMo for the first time this year. 🙂

Snapper
          @dragon-snapper
            • Total Posts: 3515

@kballen

Yes I’m on a hiatus right now but I thought I’d just throw this link at you. It might help.
            *throws link at you*
            NANO OUTLINING by Brandon Miller

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Catwing
            @catwing
              • Total Posts: 2557

@kballen @jessi-Rae I am doing NaNo! (I tried last year. I wrote two chapters. :P) I am outlining my book this time and nailing my allegory to the floor. But the first thing you need to do is have a story idea. *nods* Then you should outline. 😛

IMMA KAPEEFER! Til we're old and gray!

PrincessFoo
              @princessfoo
                • Total Posts: 194

@kballen I’ve tried doing NaNoWriMo before, but I’ve always failed miserably. 😛 This year, since I am doing OYAN, I’m not even trying NaNoWriMo. But I know that @daughteroftheking is.

NC Stokes
                @daughteroftheking
                  • Total Posts: 1156

@princessfoo *appears* Who hast summoned me from my lair?? Oh, hi, person I don’t know. Anyway, yes, I am for the first time in forever *evil glare at anyone who would dare interrupt my monologue with a song* trying NaNoWriMo. This should be interesting, because word counts and I aren’t friends. I’m doing a story I have wanted to write for a while, so I already know my characters and setting and a bit of my plot. But, I need to learn stuff. Like, WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO AND WILL I DIE IF I DON’T REACH MY DAILY GOAL AND… stuff. Yeah, I’m done yelling now. So, @KBallen, you and I are in the same boat! Yay us! *sends newbie encouragement in your direction*

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Kylie
                  @kballen

@winter-rose *returns handshake* Nice to meet you. @jessi-rae @dragon-snapper *catches link* Thank you!! @catwing @princessfoo @daughteroftheking Thank you all for the advice and encouragement, It’s realllllly helpful. Thanks again!!!

Harry Potter forever!!!!

Jane Maree
                    @jane-maree
                      • Total Posts: 909

@Kballen so exciting that you’re doing NaNo!! (I am too.) Like the others have said, having an outline is very helpful, and so is having a group of encouraging buddies who can spur you on in writing. That was one of the things that helped me most. 🙂
                      K.M. Weiland has a bunch of great advice on NaNo (here’s a link if you want to check it out).

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

SeekJustice
                      @seekjustice
                        • Total Posts: 3365

@kballen sorry it’s taken me so long to reply to you! I’m doing NaNo this year. What’s your name on the site? I’ll add you as a buddy. 😀 The best thing I can recommend (I haven’t done NaNo before but I did Camp NaNo in April and got 50,000 words) is 1. plan. even if you prefer just winging it, make some sort of outline or plot. Do exercises to get to know your characters before you start writing, fill out questionnaires, etc. 2. keep up with your daily word count (but don’t stress out if you only get 1,000). Don’t procrastinate on your writing, but also take time out, read a book or watch a movie, and don’t worry if its been a hectic day and you only get half of your wordcount. Ultimately, even if you don’t win NaNo, you’re going to have more words than you had when you started, and that’s the main thing. 😀
                        Hope that’s helpful!

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Kylie
                        @kballen

@jane-maree Thank you for the link, it’s super helpful. @seekjustice Thank you for the advice and encouragement. IT really helps!! And my name on the site is Kylie.

Harry Potter forever!!!!

J.A. Penrose
                          @jess-penrose
                            • Total Posts: 377

@kballen
                            Eeeep! Another one!
                            I am doing NaNoWriMo, this is my firstish time, but I have done Camp NaNo and have written over the 50k for that so, it’s pretty much the same.

Everyone writes differently. I go to the point of plotting out every chapter and the characters and their arcs and aaaaaah! Aaaaall of that fun stuff!

Some people just go into NaNo with no plans. They just start writing.

I have one main tip for you though; have 1 day off every week. I just don’t ever write on Sundays. *shrugs* i find it helps a lot. Also, go out and get some exercise or you will have a writer’s crash by the end of the month. And it will last for near a week.

Mainly, have fun writing, and NEVER touch the backspace key. *nods firmly* No matter how horrible it is, don’t touch it.

Have fun!

Writer | Freelance Editor
                            Inspiration&lt

CK4always
                            @ck4always
                              • Total Posts: 98

Kylie I’m thinking about doing it… Altho, I’m not all that sure how to enter…

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by CK4always.
                            Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            >