Mystery ideas

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Mystery Mystery ideas

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Trailblazer
    @trailblazer
      • Total Posts: 589

I had an idea -and I don’t know if I’ll actually get to writing much of it or if it’ll just become one of the many started projects- for a series of mysteries. Each mystery would take place in a national park, featuring a set of characters I’ve used in previous mysteries I’ve started. I have bits and pieces of inspiration from a trip my family took to a bunch of national parks several years back… but I could use some help coming up with plot ideas. The problem I’ve found with mysteries is that there’s not a lot of variety in plots, and I don’t want them to all be too cliche. I’m thinking the stories are going to be short-story form (depending on how involved the plots get), or novella length. If anyone has any ideas whatsoever to contribute, I would appreciate the input!

Idk who to tag… I don’t know which of you like mysteries, so I’m just gonna tag a bunch of peeps and if you don’t have anything to say you can just ignore it. @savannah_grace2009 @rae @jonas @highscribeofaetherium @mineralizedwritings @hybridlore @freedomwriter76 @esther-c @smiley @I-can’t-think-of-anyone-else-rn

"Real love is for your good, not for your comfort." -Justin Whitmel Earley

HighScribe
      @highscribeofaetherium
        • Total Posts: 2212

@trailblazer

Yeah… unfortunately, I know nothing about mysteries (I don’t know if I’ve vet read even one), so I won’t be able to help much.

It's harder to make a square evil than it is a triangle.

Annoying side character of the KP cast.

Cloaked Mystery
        @jonas
          • Total Posts: 2624

@trailblazer

I’m not a mystery expert, but I do enjoy them on the occasions I’ve read them. (Although that mainly includes Sherlock Holmes and a couple of Edgar Allen Poe stories.) I would be completely clueless creating a plot for one, so I can’t help much, but I think it’s a cool idea.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
          ✨ Magic System Creator
          🎭 Character RPer
          📚 Appreciator of Books

Esther
          @esther-c
            • Total Posts: 3202

@trailblazer

I’ve read some mysteries, but I’ve never written one before. 😅 I think I’d recommend to start backwards though. Where do you want the mystery to lead the characters?/What’s the end result? And how are they going to get there? What clues lead them to that point?

Besides that, I’d just say to read mysteries and notice the trends, and especially note the differences in mysteries written years ago versus today. That might help you develop the structure. Looking up articles or videos about writing mysteries might help too.

I don’t think I have anything else to add because mystery is not my expertise. XD But good luck!! (:

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          >