My Work In Progress

Home Page ā€ŗ Forums ā€ŗ Fiction Writing ā€ŗ Critiques ā€ŗ Novel Critique Requests ā€ŗ My Work In Progress

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 302 total)
  • Author
    TheArcaneAxiom
    @thearcaneaxiom
      • Total Posts: 1254

@savannah_grace2009

Yes, Rishona does represent Eve in the prologue.

Right, she represents Eve, but is she literally Eve? Is Earth here the same Earth we know, and therefore the story of Adam and Eve is really just a translation of Rishonaā€™s story?

And I do agree that I use flowery language excessively. I love your ideas, because you have helped me realize things about myself I never have before!

Lol, Iā€™m happy to help! Those are good pros to have, I hope Iā€™m not making it sound like there not, Iā€™m just saying that you can keep refining your writers voice, and tame that language to create even better pros, which is true for everyone, even the greats. Itā€™s always really cool when we become more aware of the different aspects of ourselves, thatā€™s when we can become better people with intension.

Wowww I love this! And it fits so well with my story, too! I get it now what you meant by ā€œmelodramaticā€.

ThanksšŸ˜… Iā€™m glad you like it, the concept is all yours though. I personally have struggled with my own writing being melodramatic for a long time, and I think Iā€™ve greatly improved since, but Iā€™m still far from perfect. I think itā€™s a skill that just comes with time.

Thanks, Iā€™ll fix that šŸ™‚

Is this better?

It still says worldšŸ˜‚ But yes, I think thatā€™s a really big improvement! You still kept a lot of your original style and vibe, but cleaning it up a bit. Great job. Now again, donā€™t take my word as any real authority, I am simply opinionated as Iā€™ve mentioned, so it would be good to continue getting thoughts from other readers and fellow writers.

Canā€™t wait to see your opinions on the next chapters!!!

Hopefully I can take a look at them tomorrow, I have been busy, and havenā€™t been able to be on as much.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Sara
      @savannah_grace2009
        • Total Posts: 1995

@thearcaneaxiom

Right, she represents Eve, but is she literally Eve? Is Earth here the same Earth we know, and therefore the story of Adam and Eve is really just a translation of Rishonaā€™s story?

Well I think that Rishona is literally Eve in my story, and Earth is the same earth we know but I think what I was going for is that thereā€™s no Adam and Eve because Rishonaā€™s story is all they know? I donā€™t know! The more I think about it the more I confuse myself! I think I just have to write more to figure everything out because this is a fairly new story and Iā€™ve never written an allegory before.

Hopefully I can take a look at them tomorrow, I have been busy, and havenā€™t been able to be on as much.

Itā€™s okay, Iā€™ve been busy as well with school sports and stuff like that!

It still says worldšŸ˜‚

Okay I actually fixed it for real this time!

And thank you again for all your help. šŸ™‚

Ā 

Lukas&Livia
        #Lalbert
        Sef&Chase
        #HOTTOLINE
        LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Whaley
        @whalekeeper
          • Total Posts: 2637

@savannah_grace2009 @thearcaneaxiom

Just watching from afar and thought Iā€™d chip in.

I think from reading some of Savannahā€™s work, it is heavily parallel to the stories of the Bible, but you canā€™t really guess something like that as the reader, because unless the writer clarifies their intent, an Eve-Allegory and an Alternate-Eve are essentially the same thing in function.

The story Savannah is writing obviously has major elements that arenā€™t from the Bible, and the world seems different enough structure-wise that it doesnā€™t strike me as an alternate Earth. It looks more like a whole different fantastical planet entirely. So I would guess it is an Eve-Allegory myself, as a reader ā€“ but maybe it isnā€™t. Maybe this is, worldbuilding-wise, meant to be Twisted Earth.

Iā€™m just saying unless Savannah wants to explore that possibility, I donā€™t think it necessarily has to make a difference.

Actually, the writer doesnā€™t even have to decide if they donā€™t want to. Itā€™s something you could leave to the readerā€™s imagination.

(If youā€™ve read His Dark Materials, ArcaneAxiom, the Adam and Eve in that story are what strike me as being portrayed purposefully as an alternate reality)

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

Whaley
          @whalekeeper

@savannah_grace2009

What I think @thearcaneaxiom is asking you:

Which of these two is Rishona?

1. Inspired by Eve, but is actually a different person, in a different fantastical world. Not actually Eve, just a shadow of Eve.

2. Actually Eve. In a twisted version of Earth, where some details of reality have been changed.

Whaley
            @whalekeeper

Hopefully that made sense šŸ˜‚

Sara
              @savannah_grace2009

@thearcaneaxiom @whalekeeper

Okay thanks Whaley! And yes number 1 is Rishona.

Lukas&Livia
                #Lalbert
                Sef&Chase
                #HOTTOLINE
                LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Whaley
                @whalekeeper

@savannah_grace2009

That sounds great!!

Sara
                  @savannah_grace2009

@grcr @acancello @trailblazer

Hereā€™s my WIP if youā€™re interested! And donā€™t feel pressured to read it if youā€™re busy (or just donā€™t want to!, I understand that life gets complicated and busy!

Ā 

Lukas&Livia
                    #Lalbert
                    Sef&Chase
                    #HOTTOLINE
                    LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Allison
                    @acancello
                      • Total Posts: 838

@savannah_grace2009

From what I read so far, its really good! I will be checking it out from time to time (Dont worry, its not that I dont like it, I love it! But I am working on my WIP a bunch right now, 54 pages! šŸ™‚ ) Thank you for sharing it!!

Sara
                      @savannah_grace2009

@acancello

And of course donā€™t feel bad if you donā€™t have time to read it, I get it, and glad youā€™re working on your WIP so much! And great work, 54 pages is a lot! I remember how happy I was when I hit 50 pages šŸ™‚Ā  Idk how many pages mine is since Iā€™m using a platform called Reedsy and it doesnā€™t have pages (kind of weird, i know), but I have 13,000 words at the moment.

Yeah, sorry i think i tagged you more than once here, sorry if i did, I wasnā€™t trying to nag you about it, lol!

Lukas&Livia
                        #Lalbert
                        Sef&Chase
                        #HOTTOLINE
                        LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Allison
                        @acancello
                          • Total Posts: 838

@savannah_grace2009

Donā€™t worry about it! Thank you for tagging me šŸ™‚

TheArcaneAxiom
                          @thearcaneaxiom
                            • Total Posts: 1254

@whalekeeper @savannah_grace2009

Yeah, as you said Whale, it definitely works, Iā€™m just trying to figure out what the actual structure is in relation to reality, as real places such as earth are mentioned. Your answers Sara are still throwing me off because ā€œI think that Rishona is literally Eve in my story, and Earth is the same earth we know but I think what I was going for is that thereā€™s no Adam and Eve because Rishonaā€™s story is all they know?ā€ is a very different response to ā€œInspired by Eve, but is actually a different person, in a different fantastical world. Not actually Eve, just a shadow of Eve.ā€ unless it was a decision you made just then, because Iā€™m being too nagging about itšŸ˜… If it isnā€™t Eve, my question then is still, what is earth in this case, the same earth, or is it really a completely different place called earth for the sake of familiarity? But it is true that this can go unexplained, sometimes that better, I would just be going against my nature if I didnā€™t at least ask.

I havenā€™t read His Dark Materials, though Iā€™ve watched the movie The Golden Compass. The overall story as I understand thoughĀ  is a inherent mockery of religion as a whole though, so it makes sense that if Adam and Eve are mentioned, it would be shown in a very alternate storyline.

Ok, so I just read the first and second chapter. I enjoyed these, and I liked the concepts and themes your alluding to. So in the original description of the Pythonos, you said they served the Great One, but it did seem be be purely past tense. So was it specifically the event of the Fall that all the Pythonos fell into a state of pure evil? The first chapter intrigued me though, because you seemed to be alluding to the idea that the Pythonos could feel real emotions, and they wanted good things, like family and companionship, one of the most objectively good things there is. So is there going to be redemption for the Pythonos? Is the pure evil front they show just that? A mask to hide deeply buried hurt and desire? So it looks like your gearing up for the discussion of what is good and evil, and what is moral agency, would that be right? Because if so, Iā€™m on on board! These are themes that really intrigue me, and Iā€™m liking how your handling it so far.

As far as the second chapter goes, I found it interesting that you depicted the tree as breathing and seemingly pulsing with blood, is that to be taken literally? If so, that would be a fun concept, is there any more specifics about that idea youā€™ve figured out?

I donā€™t think I have much in the way of criticisms right now, thereā€™s a lot of good intrigue, and Iā€™m curious as to what happens with this Moses type character.

Ā 

Ā 

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Sara
                            @savannah_grace2009

@thearcaneaxiom

Sorry, iā€™m not good at explaining things, especially my stories! All I know is that Earth is the same Earth, and I think that Adam and Eve donā€™t exist either in ā€œstoriesā€ or anything. I think that Iā€™m trying to make this story for the secular world to speak truth (i think sometimes if the world knows that somethings from the Bible, they wonā€™t want to even try to read it, so Iā€™m trying to ā€œsneakā€ truth past the barriers of their mind, so to speak.

In the Bible, it says that Satan fell from heaven because of greed: he wanted to be like God. Thatā€™s the same theme Iā€™m going for: the Pythonos, especially Jordan, but mainly Pythonos in general are to represent Satan and his angels of darkness in my allegory. So no, thereā€™s no redemption. Also, another theme in my story is that magic is always bad, because itā€™s not from God, itā€™s from Satan, because often people are decieved into thinking that magic is good, not bad. I know it can be portrayed as good and still be a story for God, but thatā€™s just not what Iā€™m going for.

And the second chapterā€¦yes, in Andromeda, the trees are alive, living ā€œintelligentā€ creatures. It is considered evil and cruel to deliberately kill one, which is why it was such a big deal. They are kind of representing angels of light, but not totally. Just a shadow, if you will. And they will bleed if killed. So Iā€™m not sure if I need to do a better job of explaining this in my story?

And Lilitu has the same backstory as Moses, but Iā€™m not sure if heā€™s going to lead his people out of captivityā€¦yet. Iā€™m more of a ā€œpantserā€ than a ā€œplotterā€, if you will, so thatā€™s why I might not have any plans for the future set in stone.

Thanks for the help! And sorry my answers are confusing. Like I said, I donā€™t always have everything figured out, and Iā€™m also terrible at explaining my stories. My family can vouch for that. Haha!

Ā 

Lukas&Livia
                              #Lalbert
                              Sef&Chase
                              #HOTTOLINE
                              LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Whaley
                              @whalekeeper

@thearcaneaxiom

About the Golden Compass ā€“ the movie is not good at all in adapting the book. It tried to follow the plot too tightly, without capturing the essence of the story. But I digress.

The book takes an anti-Christian position, but its points are actually extremely valid when it comes to looking back at what the ā€œchurchā€ has been, how those in the ā€œchurchā€ have used their influence wrongly, and how one can twist what was meant to be good and promote many untruths. The author is certainly not defending the Christian view ā€“ he is an atheist, and the story paints its version of God as a fake ā€“ but the book is fascinating to read from my perspective, due to what it is trying to call out, and it is one of my favorites.

I personally donā€™t think it is wrong to enjoy a book that is from a non-Christian perspective, because art is a product of a life perspective or an era of time ā€“ a microcosm, if you will. Many can view it from the outside, and all agree that it is authentic to whatever it is meant to encapsulate. Itā€™s like reading about Celtic gods, or an ancient poem praising a hero for killing a million men. You may not agree with all the views in the story, but as long as you understand it is a product of something, thereā€™s no reason notĀ to appreciate it for what it is.

For example, I donā€™t completely agree with everything Brandon Sanderson writes. But his books are amazingly written and have earned another fan.

Anyway, that was a needless ramble, but I felt I wanted to write it down for anyone to see XD

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by Whaley.

Whaley
                                @whalekeeper

@savannah_grace2009

Heeeyy I agree with you, our stories are so hard to explain XD

I found your allegories very easy to followā€¦ I donā€™t know if that was your intention, but thatā€™s how it read XD If I showed your prologue to a non-Christian friend, they would recognize it as the Creation and Fall story. I have no idea how they would react, though. It would probably depend on how willing they would be to read on for the ā€œcoolā€ fantasy elements.

ā€¦Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ve said this before, but I STILL love Lilituā€™s name. Like, itā€™s adorable. Every time I read it. XD

Also, Iā€™m curious. What are your full thoughts on magic? Iā€™m purposefully going to not reply much, because Iā€™ve gotten into heated discussions about this before XD But just some questions, if you arenā€™t too sensitive about it.

Do you think Biblical\real magic and modern\fictional magic are the same? Yes or no, why do you think so? What qualifies as magic, and what doesnā€™t?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 302 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >