My characters need medical advice.

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters My characters need medical advice.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Elishavet Pidyon
    @elishavet-pidyon
      • Total Posts: 1013

Do they? Yes they do. Unfortunately, I don’t know what to give them. So, need some advice.

First, I have this idea for a new character. He has no name yet he’s that new. What I do know about him is that he’s about twelve years old and a slave to a soldier. He has seen many horrible things, including being forced to fight in battles against his own people. He also might have been branded so that he can’t escape. (Sorry, I know this is awful. I think my historical inspiration has run away with me. Is it too much? The Dorwains, his masters, are very… Bitter and don’t view his people as completely human.)

Now, I have another character that has burn scars, but they’re on his hands, feet, and neck: not his face. While I will definitely be asking some questions concerning those scars, I need to know about this particular one now before I go much farther developing this character.

If it is on his face, how much disfigurement will it cause? I’ve read a story where the damage was minimal and largely isolated to the scar itself, but I know the face is a mas of tiny, delicate muscles. Will a burn on his cheek distort his facial expressions?

Other notes: the era is around 900 AD, but not on a strict correlation with the timelines of our world. It was treated by a fellow slave, but she didn’t have much to use except for a little stolen honey and clean water.

Can anyone help?

@landric
      @godlyfantasy12 @power @freedomwriter76 @ANYONE?

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

LandriC
      @landric
        • Total Posts: 105

Hi @elishavet-pidyon!
        It really depends on what you want. If you don’t want his facial expressions messed up, you can just do a scar somewhere along his cheekbone. However, if the burn covers more than a few inches, it will probably heal in a puckered fashion, making his facial expressions difficult on this side.
        Honey and water is good. Herbs might made a nice poultice if mixed with those too!

"To death or to victory"

Elishavet Pidyon
        @elishavet-pidyon

Hi @landric!

Thank you for your advice!

I think I do want it to affect his expressions, but not much. For instance, his smile may be slightly higher and less stiff on the unaffected side, making his grin a touch lopsided. The brand itself is roughly 1 1/2″ -2″ long and 1″ wide. I do think it would follow his cheekbone.

Yay! Any specific herbs?

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

LandriC
          @landric
            • Total Posts: 105

@elishavet-pidyon

Herbs that help burns include: calendula, comfrey, lavender, or wild plantain (depending on where they are in the world and climate 😉

Also, here’s a recipe for a simple burn salve that might give you some ideas:

1 cup organic extra virgin olive oil
            2 tablespoons organic comfrey leaf
            2 tablespoons organic calendula flowers
            2 tablespoons organic plantain leaf
            2 tablespoons wilted St. john’s wort flowers (dried tops will work as well)
            1 ounce beeswax
            50 drops of lavender essential oil

Directions
            In a double boiler, pour olive oil in top pan followed by dried herbs.
            Heat over low heat for 60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
            Remove from heat. Strain and compost herbs, reserving infused oil.
            Melt beeswax in a clean pan over low heat.
            Once melted, add herbal infused oil and lavender essential oil. Mix well.
            Quickly pour salve into tins or glass jars and allow to cool before placing lids on and labeling.

Your character could totally find a way to make this in the woods, or just ground those herbs into a paste and smooth it on. Hope this helps!

"To death or to victory"

Elizabeth
            @lewilliams
              • Total Posts: 252

@elishevet-pigeon I have literally nothing to help you out with (other than suggesting Fantasy Aloe Vera™️ but idk how much that would help) but my empathy for these poor charries is through the roof 😭 I hope their lives improve after such traumatic injuries!!

“Seven seconds till the end. Time enough for you. Perhaps. But what will you do with it?”

Elishavet Pidyon
              @elishavet-pidyon

@landric

Thank you so much! That is absolutely wonderful. 🙂

Also, their climate is like a mix of Ireland, Norway, and Northern Israel, so all those are possibilities. The herbs, and especially the recipe, are perfect fuel for ideas. Thanks again!

@lewilliams

They might have access to Fantasy Aloe Vera™ but your concern works just as well. 🙂 Their lives do improve drastically. (Especially this character since there is such a wide difference. The other one had a pretty good life even after the trauma of his injury.)

Oh, and *UPDATE* for all interested: His name is Yosí.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              >