My Antagonist: Corvina, And Her Problem

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters My Antagonist: Corvina, And Her Problem

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    GodlyFantasy12
    @godlyfantasy12
      • Total Posts: 6645

Hey everyone!! So, I know I’m still on the first draft of my first book of this series, buuuuut I already am thinking ahead a tooon and, well, im sure some of y’all have heard of my anatabonist (who I love) Corvina.

This post was actually made because I could use a little bit of help with something about her, and it also kinda includes another character too in my series who I love.

So, my antagonist, Corvina, has…a ton of flaws/issues in her life and a lot of trauma. poor baby ); that being said, the way she learned to cope when she was young was, her insecurities kinda became this physical “form” in her mind when she was a child. It literally looks like her but just a bit different, (it’s in her head) and it speaks to her. It became like her imaginary friend, but it’s an…unhealthy one.

Welp, she’s older now when the series begins, and still has this alternate negative self that is the physical embodiment of her fear and insecurities, and it’s constantly talking negatively to her. It’s cocky and rude and doesn’t care about her (it’s actually been mixed with shadowy forces that are trying to break her)

So….

With all of that, here’s my thing.

I believe that this is…well…kinda Dissociative Identity Disorder or DID, or some sort of multiple personality disorder (along with the evil villain she’s forced to serve trying to break her down)

While obviously, since I’m writing fantasy and such, none of the characters are gonna like come out and just diagnose her with DID or a disorder or anything, I do believe that Corvina does have this, due to all of the trauma that’s been caused.

Not only Corvina, but another character also begins to develop it, to a lesser extent.

So, why is this a problem? Well it’s not of course, but I’m coming here for a couple reasons.

1. I’m….ngl a little nervous to research about these kinda things. I know that might sound silly, but 🤷🏻‍♀️

2. I don’t want to portray this wrong obviously, but…I already know my character, and I know who she is. I know how she acts. Does that make sense? I do believe this is what she has, and yes she does go a bit psychotic toward the very end of the series, and she has moments where she’s in a really dark place, but (SPOILER)

she’s actually redeemed in the end, and…she has a part of her that is good, but it’s been buried so deep, and she’s been hurt so much.

3. I’m just wondering if anyone can kinda…help me know if I’m right 🤣 or see if this makes ANY sense or if anyone else has kinda been here with a character wether it be a disorder or something else. I know all characters have a disorder or something of some sort.

so yea…

THX XD

@denali-christianson
      @emilysf @e-m-tempke @koshka @keilah-h @issawriter7 @devastate-lasting @gracie-j @scripter-of-kingdoms @abigail-m @elishavet-pidyon @jodi-maile @annabelle @daisy-torres @trahia-the-minstrel @libby @lydia-s @e-k-seaver @mkfairygirl @seekerofthetruth @kathleenramm @jenwriter17 @nanisnook @elfwing @seekjustice @sparrowhawke @maryg3 @relia @writerlexi1216 @nova21 @hallie-jean @faith-q @ariel-f @freedomwriter76 @wilder-w @anyone

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
      #ProtectMarcel
      #ProtectSeb

Linyang Zhang
      @devastate-lasting
        • Total Posts: 1700

@godlyfantasy12 I mean, I don’t know much about psychology but from my understanding DID can often start due to trauma, for example, if someone as a child is being abused they might imagine whatever is happening to them is happening to someone else, therefore creating another personality as they mature. Other than that, I know nothing, and I would highly suggest you do research some, but like, if you’re not going to mention it, then continue portraying her how you wish. After all, it is a fantasy.

Lately, it's been on my brain
        Would you mind letting me know
        If hours don't turn into days

GodlyFantasy12
        @godlyfantasy12
          • Total Posts: 6645

@devastate-lasting true, since I’m not mentioning like the diagnosis or anything it should be fine. There might would be mention of like an alternate self or something but other then that yea. Makes sense

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
          #ProtectMarcel
          #ProtectSeb

Anonymous
            • Total Posts: 8156

@godlyfantasy12. Though I am not a psychologist nor know much of anything about Psychology, the best advice I can give is to research. And research in a…real way. Here’s what I mean by that. Either talk to somebody that you know that has DID, or purposefully research to read things from people that actually STRUGGLE with DID. Regular research helps as well, but to get down to a more personal level and make it feel more real, maybe finding someone that actually struggles with what your Character struggles with can be a wonderful help in portraying DID realistically. Does that make any sense? I’m not always good at explaining things, lol. XD

Anonymous

Like, okay, here’s a bit of an example. One of my MC’s, Riker, deals with some PTSD and absolute trauma due to growing up in a home with an alcoholic father that verbally and physically hurt him.

Or, when I’ve written my Marvel fanfiction, I’ve often been writing from Bucky Barnes’ point of view. He ALSO struggles with PTSD, trauma, and guilt due to what he went through, but I never would have felt confident to write them with PTSD, especially, if I hadn’t read the biography Unbroken and the two movies based off of it, about WWII hero Louis Zamperini, who struggled with PTSD after being held as a POW by Japan.

After I read his story, I began to detect PTSD in Riker and Bucky, and when I started to write them with it…I noticed how much EASIER it was to write them with PTSD since I finally knew more about it, what it causes, and what it can do to someone. It’s helped a lot in the long run, so again, learn from someone who knows. 

I would never have known much of ANYTHING about PTSD if I hadn’t read Unbroken and now I write two different characters that struggle with it.

Not sure if either of those were good examples, lol. Sorry if I just wasted your time. DX

Anonymous

Also, remember that every person is different. 

Here, in that vein, this might help you. (I’m so sorry if this doesn’t help either. If it doesn’t, just ignore all my comments on this forum. :<)

Here!

EmilySF
                @emilysf
                  • Total Posts: 141

Although she doesn’t have real DID, Shallan Davar from the Stormlight Archives has at least three personalities, and might help with the having personalities aspect of DID.

Other than that, I don’t have much advice. I’ve never been someone to relate a whole lot to DID because it’s not something I have nor do I often imagine myself as a different person (much as I may wish to, at times). The closest I come is being addicted to reading as a way of escaping into other people. I can’t say much except to point in a hopefully helpful direction. 🙃

"[Write] today like there's no tomorrow!"

Keilah H.
                  @keilah-h
                    • Total Posts: 3874

@godlyfantasy12 I don’t know any real-world person with DID, nor do I know any characters, but having SPD (sensory processing) myself, I can sorta sympathize with characters who have inner issues. While I don’t consider my condition to be hindering at all, I can see why Corvina’s really would be. I would just suggest research, like everyone else. Read a book or biography with that sort of character in it, and maybe it’ll help you portray it better!

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Anonymous

Also, remember that every single person is different. 

Though there are common symptoms and consequences of PTSD, I still notice how different Riker and Bucky still are. And especially, think about the circumstance. Bucky went through something much different than what Riker went through.

In that vein, I’ve read this article that really made me think and helped in a bit of Riker’s development. 😉 Not sure if it’ll help, but I’m trying so hard! :>

https://jerryjenkins.com/personalizing-characters-emotional-wound/

Karissa Chmil
                      @karissa-chmil
                        • Total Posts: 96

@godlyfantasy12

I’ve done a bit of research on DID since my volunteer work had me deal with someone who has that, and a few things I remember that might be helpful:

– I would say that what your charrie has sounds like it. . . rather minorly, though.

– Switches tend to be very sudden, and whichever personality is “driving” at the moment may not want what the last personality did. One person in an interview I watched told about a time they were trying to drive somewhere and it took them hours because they kept switching and going home, then switching and going there again, then switching and going home again, etc.

– They may or may not remember what happened when another personality was driving. It’s like their memory can blank and everyone around them has to fill them in on what they just did.

– More of a suggestion than a fact, but if you’re nervous to research this, maybe ask a parent or older sibling to research with you?

*shrugs* Hope a bit of that was helpful. Best of luck with Corvina (she sounds rather interesting, by the way XP).

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Karissa Chmil.

wonder | beauty | truth | love

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      >