Microsoft Word or Google Docs??

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Microsoft Word or Google Docs??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    hybridlore
    @hybridlore
      • Total Posts: 1359

Hey everyone! Just curious–which do you prefer for your writing, and why? (And if you use another program, what is it?)

I used to use Google Docs, but when I started writing again I switched to Word. I don’t like how laggy Docs gets, but Word disappoints me sometimes. Mainly because I’ll leave comments and they disappear, and it only saves your doc history for the past month.

Anyway, tags!

@freedomwriter76 @esther-c @jonas @thearcaneaxiom @highscribeofaetherium @acancello @mineralizedwritings @euodia-vision @grcr @whalekeeper @savannah_grace2009 @smiley @everyone else

There is always light behind the clouds.
      - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

HighScribe
      @highscribeofaetherium
        • Total Posts: 2230

@hybridlore

I use Word, but I use Google Docs for documents I share with my brother. I’ve always used Word, and I’m more comfortable navigating it, so that’s just what I use.

It's harder to make a square evil than it is a triangle.

Annoying side character of the KP cast.

-GRCR-
        @grcr
          • Total Posts: 949

@hybridlore

I’ve never used Google Docs before (or at least I can’t remember ever using it)… But I have used Word before. Actually, I used Word to type everything, back in the day. I don’t use it anymore… and I kinda don’t remember a lot about it. 😅

When I got an iPad and a Mac a few years ago, I started to do all of my typing on Pages. Aaaannnndddd… I still use Pages on my computer. I like it more than the other programs I’ve used.

...i see the world in my head every time i close my eyes...

TheArcaneAxiom
          @thearcaneaxiom
            • Total Posts: 1251

@hybridlore

I do everything using Google drive, including docs. If it get’s too laggy, I just start a new doc.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Anonymous
              • Total Posts: 8156

@hybridlore I personally use Word for writing, but I also use Google Docs for brainstorming/character sheets/etc.

I like Word because it’s easier to add page numbers, change the page size, easier to create PDFs (at least for me, lol), and all in all Word just seems a lot easier to use than Docs.

But that’s just personal preference.

Most writers I know use Word, and it seems to be the most popular/effective writing app/tool, at least from what I know, although Google Docs is also good.

I think Word is easier for writing the full book, whereas Google Docs is better for getting an idea written down. 🙂

But that’s just my opinion on it all 😉

RAE
              @rae
                • Total Posts: 3013

@hybridlore

Plunk Google Docs in front of me and get a blank expression; plunk down Word, and get a smile.

I’ve used Word all my life and have only used Docs to share my book to those I don’t email.

I’m a Word girl forever!

It is easier to share a Docs, but I find formatting soooooo much easier personally with Word. There are writing apps specially designed for writers like Scrivener, that everyone seems to like who’s gotten it, but at this point I’m just a silly girl trying to write a story and don’t need the special stuff.

I’ve never had comments disappear on me before. Huh.

Cloaked Mystery
                @jonas
                  • Total Posts: 2624

@hybridlore

I use Word mostly, except as @HighScribe said, for the docs we share. I agree with what other people are saying: Word is easier to use and has better formatting options, but Google Docs has some advantages, namely I find sharing documents easier on Docs.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                  ✨ Magic System Creator
                  🎭 Character RPer
                  📚 Appreciator of Books

hybridlore
                  @hybridlore

@everyone-who-replied

Thanks! Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I know that Word is used more professionally, but most everyone I knew before Kingdom Pen who wrote stories used Docs. I had one friend who only used Word, but she was the most serious writer.

I might have to research the comments thing, but I just started leaving them to make notes to myself and then I would load the doc later and … they’d be gone. Also, I really like seeing my progress in a specific project, so the progress thing bugged me. But overall, I think I prefer Word as well.

Esther
                    @esther-c
                      • Total Posts: 3213

@hybridlore

I use Google for pretty much everything, so Docs is my go-to, especially since it’s easier to make files in my Drive. There was one time a couple years back I tried Word for like two minutes and then gave up. XD I don’t have much experience with it, so I can’t say whether I actually like it or not.

I use both the app and website for Google Docs, especially if I want two docs open at once. I haven’t found any issues with the comment feature, which I have been using a lot lately. I know there is something where you can see your progress, but I haven’t touched that in a couple years.

There are a lot more features you can use on the website versus the app, but I personally prefer the app, just because I’m used to it.

That’s my two cents. 🙃

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Allison
                      @acancello
                        • Total Posts: 838

@hybridlore

Ive always used Google docs, sometimes they do get laggy but you just have to be a bit patient *Heres me over here pounding the keys and yelling at the computer while all my family is looking at me like I’m insane* XD  But doc works great! The one with my WIP on is currently 138 pages and it works just fine, Id say about 95% of the time it works great. Hope that helps!

Otherworldly Historian
                        @otherworldlyhistorian
                          • Total Posts: 217

@hybridlore

Docs is my personal choice for writing software but that’s probably because thats what I’m used to. Until high-school I didn’t even have access to word since you have to pay for it and my county doesn’t.

I feel like word is probably a better software, from the small amount of time I have used it, but at the same time it is more complex. Personally I think the lag difference in the software is just because word is downloaded into most computers as an app whereas docs is a browser based software. The same lag problems show up on word if you use browser word (which I don’t recommend) and generally disappear if your google docs account has offline mode enabled for it.

Through darkness,
                          light shines brightest

Sara
                          @savannah_grace2009
                            • Total Posts: 1989

@hybridlore

I used to use word, but when i switched to public school, our chromebooks didn’t have Word, so I had to use Google Docs. I then became used to Google Docs and honestly prefer that to Word, because if you forget to push “save” on Word, all your work is gone and you can never get it back. Also, I like the heading feature on Google Docs, which makes it easier to navigate (in my opinion).

However, I actually use neither of those programs for writing anymore. I use a platform called Reedsy (reedsy.com) and it has a manuscript feature (where you type your manuscript) and a planning feature. I really like the planning section because on it you can plan everything from plots to scenes to character profiles. It also lets you create goals for your manuscript, hire professionals to edit, design covers, illustrate, etc, track your progress, and it saves your history every time you change something, so you can either copy and paste deleted scenes, or restore past versions. That way your work never truly gets deleted, unless of course you delete the manuscript itself.

To share it, you just copy and paste a link. No one can edit it with the link, and it is soooo much easier than sharing the doc! Plus, it’s readable on a phone screen or a computer or a tablet.

I really like reedsy, but one annoying thing about it is that it doesn’t show how many pages you have. It’s just a continuous screen, thought that doesn’t really matter that much. It does keep track of how many words you have, which is really handy.

And Reedsy is completely free, unless of course you hire a professional.  I would highly recommend making a Reedsy account. It’s one of the least well known writing programs, but it is extremely useful.

Lukas&Livia
                            #Lalbert
                            Sef&Chase
                            #HOTTOLINE
                            LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Euodia
                            @euodia-vision
                              • Total Posts: 1306

I use Google Docs! It’s what I’ve always used. I think I tried Word one time but went back to Docs the next day. 😂 Formatting gets a little frustrating at times but I’ve slowly learned how to navigate it.

I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log had a child

Trailblazer
                              @trailblazer
                                • Total Posts: 600

@hybridlore

I don’t usually use Google Docs; I had to use it during my year in public school, and I’ll occasionally use it if I’m sharing with someone, but otherwise I’m not a huge fan. I don’t have Word either, I use LibreOffice, but I think it’s pretty similar to Word.

"Real love is for your good, not for your comfort." -Justin Whitmel Earley

hybridlore
                                @hybridlore

@everyone

So, I just realized yesterday that I think I’m using something different… Microsoft Word Online? Is that what everyone else has? I think it’s free.

@savannah_grace2009

Gotcha! Yeah, I’ve seen your doc on that website before. It seems to work pretty well, I just think I would prefer seeing my page count in a document for a first draft.

@euodia-vision
                                  @trailblazer @otherworldly-historian @acancello

Okay, cool!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >