Merry Christmas and Happy Plot Holes

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Plotting Merry Christmas and Happy Plot Holes

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 1330

@shannon For once? Excuse me, last time I checked, I am always right. Compared to you: Always certain, never right.

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 1486

@Emily sounds like there’s some good advice here! If you don’t know your antagonist/villain yet, I’d suggest giving him some attention, since he will help drive your plot. What does he want? Why does he want what he wants? What kind of person is he? Does he like direct confrontation or is he the sneaky sort that will manipulate your protagonist into doing what he wants?

Another thing: make sure your side characters don’t get along. Perhaps your MC has to travel with a group of people as she runs. Perhaps they are outlaws or assassins who have no qualms about breaking the laws, whereas she’s a squeaky clean citizen who doesn’t want to do anything wrong. Perhaps half of the group wants to run south, the other half East. Perhaps they disagree where to stay for the night, or what to eat for dinner. There are realms of potential conflict points that could turn into scenes.

Anonymous
          • Total Posts: 1330

@winter-rose Great advice! Katalina kind of gets carried away all the time, and she also hates schedules. That could work out like that… Especially since the princes is an “J”…*runs off to brainstorm*

NC Stokes
          @daughteroftheking
            • Total Posts: 1156

@Emily I am late. 😀 All this advice is super good, and I really don’t have anything to add. I just discovered the three-act plot thingy myself and me likey. 😉 Your book sounds like a lot of fun!

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

itisastarrynight
            @itisastarrynight
              • Total Posts: 134

@emily I slightly struggled with this issue as well, but researching the three act structure/the heros journey helped me out, as introvert_girl sugjested. However, I think, consider this: Your story is about your character, right? You want your character to get from point A to point C.
              Consider giving your character a character arc. Then for area B, the middle, you can use up all that time for transitioning the way, challenging, and doing things that change the way your protagonist thinks so in the end she can defeat the antagonist with this newfound thought process. Hope this made sense

I can't believe it's not butter!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            >