Merging My Novels?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Merging My Novels?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 1379

Hey KeePers!

So I’ve been doing a lot of thinking and praying about my future, and a clear conviction has come to me that The Apostle’s Sister and The Anointed are not things I should rush through. Although I still of course have a lot of praying to do, I believe God is leading me into a different time frame than I always imagined. I used to think TAS and Anointed would be finished and ready to query by my senior year of high school. Now I’m anticipating working on them for the next 5-8 years, including while I’m in seminary. They’re very complex, intense, and heavy novels, and I have the conviction that I have a lot of maturing to do as a Christian and a writer, and must obey the Lord’s own time. My favorite Biblical fiction writer took years to write her bestselling novels about Jesus Christ’s life. I’m really looking forward to the journey, because God is the wisest and he knows where he’s leading me.

At this juncture of my life I would really appreciate any advice, input, or words of encouragement. Also, big question: recently I started thinking of this crazy idea of merging TAS and Anointed into one novel. Have Part One from Temira’s perspective and Part Two from Seth’s. I suddenly have lots of crazy new possibilities for the plot, too. Do you think I’m getting too crazy and should keep going where I’m at? Any advice?

I really appreciate it!

(And btw… Saturday is almost here where I live, right after writing this I’m gonna shut down for Sabbath. It will take me several hours to reply since I’ll be on Sabbath rest until sundown tomorrow.)

@gracie-j
      @godlyfantasy12 @writerlexi1216 @scripter-of-kingdoms @kathleenramm @devastate-lasting @libby @e-k-seaver @issawriter7 @mkfairygirl @r-m-archer @jenwriter17 @imwritehere1920 @abigail-m @anyone @sorry-if-i-forgot-you @suddenly-forgetting-the-tags

Gracie J.
      @gracie-j
        • Total Posts: 1789

@joy-caroline Wow! So, the first thing: I can definitely see how TAS and The Anointed could take several years–stories like those need a lot of time, effort, and prayer. I wouldn’t rush things. I know I have projects I’ve set aside for a later time because I know I’m either not prepared for them now or that they’d take me a while… So don’t feel discourage if you go through several drafts and rewrites and hiatuses and different projects before you ever truly finish these! As long as God is leading you, everything be will just fine!

Second thing: Whoa. Wait. What??? Merging them??? I don’t know…that’s a really good idea, but I do like them on their own, you know? I definitely don’t think you’re being too crazy or anything. If you really like that better, go for it!

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Jenna Terese
        @jenwriter17
          • Total Posts: 2522

@joy-caroline That’s awesome that you’re following God’s guidance! Yes, He always knows best and His timing is perfect! 😀 Personally, I think the combining is a great idea. 🙂

I wish you all the best on your story! It really sounds like God has given you that story for a reason, so I know it’s going to be amazing. <3

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
          www.jennaterese.com

Linyang Zhang
          @devastate-lasting
            • Total Posts: 1700

@joy-caroline I think that it’s great that you’ve realised what God wants for you! If you feel that this is His calling, go for it! No shame in publishing later than you wanted to.

Merging them? That sounds awesome! I’d say give it a try!

Lately, it's been on my brain
            Would you mind letting me know
            If hours don't turn into days

Abigail.M.
            @abigail-m
              • Total Posts: 1242

@joy-caroline

That sounds awesome girl! I think combining your novels is a great idea, TAS and TA would be excellent in that format, in my opinion.
              Now, this isn’t meant to be criticism or anything like that at all, and perhaps it doesn’t even apply to you. But with writing, the more time that passes, the more that you get older/gain more knowledge and wisdom, the higher the probabilities that God will give you new stories to write. Personally, I believe that TSW is a story that should have years’ worth of time put into it, but on the other hand, I already have two new ideas that I began feeling equal about. Thence, I know that I have to keep pushing forward.
              Have you ever worked on a story in the past that you stopped because you feel like the story you have now is better? Or has more substance? Or would make that a better project? I know I have, but that happens, simply because we’re writers (and if it didn’t happen, that would mean we weren’t improving in our work).
              By no means am I saying to rush your novels (after all, such undertaking and art requires time), and I wouldn’t know where to begin writing historical Biblical fiction myself, but I believe in finishing a story as soon as I can, leaving it, (and if there’s anything I want to work with again or has potential, I then tear it down and use the material to build something better).
              But of course, this is not advice that every writer follows, nor is it one that every writer has to follow. Every writer under the sun has a slightly different way of doing the thing that works best for them and their stories, no exceptions (or extremely rare if there was any). And as you said, do what God leads you to do, there is no better path:)

Abigail.M.
              @abigail-m

@joy-caroline

(One last ps.) In the beginning, there is a strange fact about writing that when aiming for quality, shoot for quantity and it will eventually net both (one of the bizarre pearls of wisdom that I attained from NaNoWriMo).
                And do not worry about the finished product or whether it’s perfect or even publishable, at least not in the beginning, (when I say beginning, I mean outlining/first draft/possibly second). Don’t worry about the story going any further than your paper/screen; but at the same time, you have to believe that the story that God gave you is brilliant and that it can and will set the world on fire. (I know I sound odd after watching famous author trailers for Masterclass, but it’s true!)
                Anyway, I’m not sure if I’ve helped, but I just want to add that I believe in you girl! There is no one else out there who can write The Apostle’s Sister or The Anointed. I’m confident that God will lead you and these excellent stories down great paths.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Abigail.M..
                Katherine
                @mkfairygirl
                  • Total Posts: 549

@joy-caroline I think it’s amazing that you’re willing to be patient and wait on God’s timing. His timing is perfect and all we can do is trust Him. Continue to pray because God knows what He’s doing and His plan for you and your novel is perfect. No need to rush.

Also, I think that merging the two novels is a cool idea!!!!!!!!!! Nope, not getting to crazy at all.😉 Sometimes while working on projects we get new ideas that we like better than the first. So, if merging the two is what you want, then I say GO FOR IT!!!!!!

"It looks like a fairy world"~Meg from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
                  Fall in love with Jesus

Anonymous

@gracie-j

Ah, thanks so much for the advice! That makes me feel a whole lot better about this, because I was stressing over if taking years to write them means I’ve given up on my dreams. ‘Cause I haven’t, I just want to follow the Lord’s own good timing!

Haha, I definitely have a lot to experiment with and pray about and think about. We’ll see what happens once I get some more clarity and inspiration on this!

@jenwriter17

Aw, thank you SO much, Jen! That means a lot to me to hear you say. I may begin to think seriously of combining. We’ll see what God has in store, because yes, His timing is always perfect.

@devastate-lasting

Thanks, Linyang! 😀 I’m really grateful for this awesome input. I’ll definitely be giving things a try and experimenting with this.

Anonymous

@abigail-m

Thank you SO much for the valuable advice!

I’m definitely going to keep working on TAS and Anointed. Just some of the plot and stuff may change drastically. I’ve gotten the conviction lately that I really have a lot to consider and think and pray about, and I’m not ready to publish yet. I believe God is telling me to keep working hard, pushing for publication, and believing that my words will be out there and change lives. He’s just telling me that his time is different from mine and he knows best. Biblical fiction is a really serious calling, and I feel I need to take a step back and focus on what God wants instead of just wanting publication to be able to say I was published as a teen, you know? If that makes any sense. I want to examine my heart and be sure I desire God’s glory and not my own.

I will definitely keep working, so thank you for the encouragement. And I believe I will start thinking about combining the novels and considering how that would work.

Anonymous

@mkfairygirl

Aww, thanks, Kat! I’ll certainly continue to pray and begin looking at merging the two novels as more of a serious possibility!

Abigail.M.
                        @abigail-m

@joy-caroline

I’m glad that I was able to be of some service:)
                          Ah, I understand. Biblical fiction is serious, (I give you credit for writing it).
                          Anyway, (stirring up my old line from the bottom of my box of catchphrases) I wish you the best of writerly wishes!:)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Abigail.M..
                          Linyang Zhang
                          @devastate-lasting

@joy-caroline Of course! Good luck, and I’ll be praying for you!

Anonymous

@abigail-m

Aww, thank you! And I LOVE that catchphrase!

@devastate-lasting

Thank you, I appreciate it! Also, I love your new pfp. 🙂

Linyang Zhang
                              @devastate-lasting

@joy-caroline Thanks! Reminded me of my most recent work and of the weather outside, haha.

Abigail.M.
                                @abigail-m

@joy-caroline

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >