Magic Systems 🧙 (also Sci-Fi tech Systems)

Home Page › Forums › Fiction Writing › Genre-Writing › Fantasy › Magic Systems 🧙 (also Sci-Fi tech Systems)

Tagged: ,

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Folith-Feolin
    @folith-feolin
      • Total Posts: 310

So… I don’t know how many of you guys have thought about magic systems for your books or even have such things in your stories but I thought it might be fun if those of us that did discuss our magic systems.

Also I you want an interesting couple of articles about magic systems I highly suggest you check out Brandano Sanderson’s articles about the laws of magic (Sanderson is one of the current most popular fantasy authors) they can be found here

Sanderson’s First Law

Keilah H.
      @keilah-h
        • Total Posts: 3875

@folith-feolin Yes, while many of the story universes I have do have a “magic system,” usually it’s not called that. Also, in those universes, anything that’d resemble what people have done in the real world (like spells and stuff) is usually severely abhorred and called sorcery. I try to make my “magic” as distant from the real [evil] thing as possible.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Folith-Feolin
        @folith-feolin

@keilah-h

I understand what you mean I was just using the term magic systems because that is the term I have seen used the most when I am looking up things. I could change it to power systems but I used magic systems because that is the term thrown around by most bloggers authors and Redditors/just people on forum sites in general. C. R. Rowenson, a blogger and author of The Magic-System Blueprint: A Fiction Writer’s Guide to Building Magic Systems defined magic systems as follows.

“There are lots of definitions out there for magic, but a “magic system” refers to the rules, limitations, and abilities that define the magic. Any single effect or ability can be magical, but the theories, rules, and connections that tie them all together are the system.”

By this definition magic systems are present in the most obviously magical things such as Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, but they also in things such as Star Wars, Dune, and Marvel.

Keilah H.
          @keilah-h

@folith-feolin yep! Star Wars perhaps being the most obvious of the three you mentioned. Marvel has it sometimes obvious sometimes unclear; and then Dune…I’ve actually never watched/read that one but my dad likes it, it’s apparently one of his favorites….?

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Folith-Feolin
            @folith-feolin

@keilah-h

Dune was one of my favorite books too I read it in freshman year right before the movie came out. I would highly suggest it although I would say it is 14+

Keilah H.
              @keilah-h

@folith-feolin Yeah, that’s what my dad said.

I’m 15, almost 16, so that shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

Folith-Feolin
                @folith-feolin

Also, I included tech systems because Clarke’s third law states

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”

I don’t have the time to explain what that means right now but If you want to you can search up Clarke’s laws of magic systems

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ClarkesThirdLaw

Folith-Feolin
                  @folith-feolin

Also, I included tech systems because Clarke’s third law states

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”

I don’t have the time to explain what that means right now but If you want to you can search up Clarke’s laws of magic systems

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ClarkesThirdLaw

Folith-Feolin
                    @folith-feolin

I hate it when kp glitches and you pst something twice

Keilah H.
                      @keilah-h

@folith-feolin yeah that happens….

I read what you posted; that does seem interesting. It is actually somewhat true–apart from actual sorcery, which Christians should never associate with, all “magic” in the real world (such as that seen in stage shows) is a clever combination of illusions and technology, which is perfectly fine for everyone involved. Very cool!

GodlyFantasy12
                        @godlyfantasy12
                          • Total Posts: 6645

@folith-feolin OOOH!!! Love this topic forum!! Being as I’m a fantasy writer and am working on a large fantasy series I do have magic and elves and all sorts of things like that so yea! Not sure exactly what to divulge on tho lol

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                          #ProtectMarcel
                          #ProtectSeb

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        >