LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    HighScribe
    @highscribeofaetherium
      • Total Posts: 2215

@thearcaneaxiom

I watch ALL of them. I’ve watched pretty much all of his more recent videos, so I’ve been driven to watching his older content as well lol.

Oh dear, I believe we’re hijacking this thread 🤣 at least we’re not talking about Brandon Sanderson this time XD

Hey, did you know that Shad did counseling for Brandon Sanderson-

It's harder to make a square evil than it is a triangle.

Annoying side character of the KP cast.

TheArcaneAxiom
      @thearcaneaxiom
        • Total Posts: 1250

@highscribeofaetherium

I watch ALL of them. I’ve watched pretty much all of his more recent videos, so I’ve been driven to watching his older content as well lol.

Me too! I miss some of his older series, but his modern content is still really good.

Oh dear, I believe we’re hijacking this thread 🤣 at least we’re not talking about Brandon Sanderson this time XD

Whoops😅 Maybe we should make a new one?

Hey, did you know that Shad did counseling for Brandon Sanderson-

As a matter of fact, yes! The video he released some years back about was very emotional, as Sanderson is his idol. Another fun fact is that both Sanderson and Shad are LDS, so they have similar upbringings in that regard.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Sara
        @savannah_grace2009
          • Total Posts: 1984

@thearcaneaxiom

Um….I just listened to it and….how?????

How is that physically possible! that’s kinda disturbing, XD

It’s so good though!

Lukas&Livia
          #Lalbert
          Sef&Chase
          #HOTTOLINE
          LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Cloaked Mystery
          @jonas
            • Total Posts: 2624

@everyone

My family has been listening to LOTR on audiobook (the Andy Serkis version, which is really good!) and I had a thought/question that I thought I’d share.

Warning: Spoilers for the end The Fellowship of the Ring and the first chapter of The Two Towers.

I kind of felt that Boromir was significantly less sympathetic in the books versus the movies. It could just be Andy Serkis’ voice for him, but he came across as just extremely arrogant, and in general not very likable, whereas in the movies I feel like he seems more human. I honestly like the movie version better (although as I said before, it may just be the narrator’s voice that bothers me.) I don’t feel like it takes away from his fall though. His monologue before he tries to take the ring is very human, and I feel like it sort of shocks us into realizing how human he is, and that he isn’t just an arrogant jerk. In the movies, we are already more sympathetic towards him, but that makes it sadder. I like both pretty much equally.

Spoilers Over

So, for anyone else who has read that much, and has seen the movies, do you agree with my analysis? Any other thoughts.

I’m not sure who to tag on here, so I’ll just leave this here in case anyone sees it!

🏰 Fantasy Writer
            ✨ Magic System Creator
            🎭 Character RPer
            📚 Appreciator of Books

RAE
            @rae
              • Total Posts: 3007

SPOILERS TOO

@jonas

I agree…sort of. Is true, in the movies, Boromir is less arogent. Idk if you have read the books, but it’s not just Andy’s voice. My copy of fotr is not down here rn, but in The Council of Elrond, Boromir pridefully goes on about how strong Gondor is. Aragorn chastises him, saying it is not only Gondor who protects the lands from the Lord of the Black Land.

I like how Tolkien portrayed Boromir better, for we did not see much of the Ring taking over Boromir, and when we did, it was sudden, and then gone in the movies. If my memory serves me, in the books, there’s a gradual build that the reader barely sees until the snap. This is in Tolkien fashion (ex. Aragorn slowly becomes more kingly before we see him rallying the Rohirrim at Helm’s Deep. That is when he just…blows me away. Oh, and Strider is my fav charrie <3) idk why I exactly like the Tolkien Boromir better (probably bias, XD) but I think that’s why.

The part of the movie Boromir that I LOVE is him and Faramir on the field of victory. Great older brother moment<3

Alpha: "It's not Nar's cooking, is it?"
              Nae: "Would I try to poison you?"

Cloaked Mystery
              @jonas
                • Total Posts: 2624

@rae

Spoilers again

I have read the books, it was probably only about a year ago that I last did, but I didn’t particularly notice anything. I don’t think it’s completely sudden in the movies. There is that scene on the mountain where the ring is on the ground and he picks it up. I think that’s a little too obvious actually. I don’t dislike the way the books does it—I probably wouldn’t notice if the movie wasn’t a bit different. But I do wonder if Tolkien could have made Boromir a bit more likable. His likableness isn’t the mist important thing, though. The most important thing is that we the readers realize that we could easily make the same decision he did, and in some ways, us disliking him gives that more impact.

Don’t get me started on movie Faramir, though. They made him so mean! They made Boromir more likable and Faramir less likable lol.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                ✨ Magic System Creator
                🎭 Character RPer
                📚 Appreciator of Books

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              >