Little Peoples

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien
      • Total Posts: 440

Wow. @emma-flournoy @kate-flournoy @writefury @ethryndal others I missed…
      This is a bunch of awesome advice! I especially agree with don’t make them too perfect.

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Mark Kamibaya
      @mark-kamibaya
        • Total Posts: 318

@emma-flournoy Just a quick one because I have to go soon. Let me start from the bottom.

The Bible says that “Solomon did evil in the sight of the LORD, and went not fully after the LORD, as did David his father.” That kind of implies that he did have a heart for God (note the word fully). So that’s why I have the tolerant view of him. I understand that for the latter part of his life he was bad. But for most of his life he was a good king (Great wisdom, built temple which was significant, palace, lots of wealth for Israel). So I think overall he’s an okay king even though he was bad (tolerant) at the end of his reign.

You are correct about the repentance. However, I don’t believe that polygamy is ever allowed in the Bible. The Bible always wants people to have only one partner. The fact that godly men had multiple wives proves that God uses flawed people. And my belief about Solomon kind of supports the fact that people are judged for their sin. Maybe Bathsheba was a product of David’s many wives. His mentality changed so much that it was easier for him to be tempted. That’s another view I hold.

As for Ecclesiastes. Most of the book talks about the fruitlessness of life. Why is most of the book spent seemingly supporting this worldview? More on this when I have more time.

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Emma Flournoy
        @emma-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 1352

@Mark-Kamibaya That verse— “Solomon did evil in the sight of the LORD, and went not fully after the LORD, as did David his father.” —is one I hold to say he was bad. It says he went not fully, because he was Godly, in his earlier life, as you’re saying. But toward the end, he turned away. That doesn’t to me say he still partly had a heart for God—it says to me that he did at one point but not always.
          If he’d been bad in his earlier life, then changed to be good, I’d consider him a good king because of his repentance. But since as far as we know he was bad after turning till the end of his life, I don’t consider him good. *shrug*
          This has rather digressed from the original point… 😛
          At any rate, David might have done a better job training Solomon than he did (at least as far as we can tell).

I shall await any Ecclesiastical thoughts. (Anyone else who has any, fire away if you wish. 😀 )

Hannah R.
          @his-instrument
            • Total Posts: 229

@anne-of-lothlorien Having worked with preschoolers at church for the past few years, I could probably give you a few stories or snippets of dialogue if you want. One thing that I am impressed with is the diversity of personality even among small children. A lot of books tend to stereotype them as clueless, innocent, sometimes annoying little creatures with poor vocabulary (which is often overdone– check how children actually speak very carefully before trying to write dialogue for them), but in actuality, some children are remarkably bright, some go into meltdowns at the slightest provocation, some can switch from being irritated to being bursting with joy at a tiny redirection, some are selfish, some think only about others… and this is only in the preschool classroom. We’re not even talking about kindergartners. Let me know if you need any cute sayings that I’ve overheard, or funny stories.

YA Fantasy Writer
            Obsessive Character Namer
            Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Emma Flournoy
            @emma-flournoy

At any rate, David might have done a better job training Solomon than he did (at least as far as we can tell).

@Mark-Kamibaya
              Actually I take that back. I was talking about it with @Kate-Flournoy, and later I went and looked specifically for stuff in the Bible from David to Solomon. Looking specifically at 1 Kings 2:1-4 and 1 Chronicles 28:9 , it seems like David did a pretty good job imparting the truth to Solomon. At least some of the time, that we see.
              Anyway.

So this definitely proves one of your earlier points, that children of Godly men who teach them the right ways can still turn out bad.

Mark Kamibaya
              @mark-kamibaya
                • Total Posts: 318

@emma-flournoy I can say that he was a bad person. But not a bad king. He did some pretty good stuff (I mentioned a few in the previous post). Overall, he was okay. Kind of like our most recent (US) presidents. They lean a little toward bad but overall they weren’t pure evil (think Kim Jong-Un).

But you’re right. We drifted so far from the original topic. I’ll stop it right here.

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Emma Flournoy
                @emma-flournoy

@Mark-Kamibaya Interesting conversation though. 🙂

Anne of Lothlorien
                  @anne-of-lothlorien
                    • Total Posts: 440

@emma-flournoy @Mark-Kamibaya @kate-flournoy (I think you were on here)

Thanks sooo much. This has helped a lot. One of the funnier things I’ve found out about little peoples is their randomness. I was talking with Hope’s little sister a few weeks ago at church. She went from one topic to the next, starting with “I have pretty PJ’s. They have hearts on them. Do you have pretty PJ’s?’ and ending with “I can hair-spray my own hair, you know that?’ I could barely keepup with her thought pattern and rapid change of subject.

And what I have found interesting is little children’s faith in their imaginations. My little sister says she sees thing a lot, like last month she absolutely insisted that there was a barefoot girl with blue eyes in one of our trees. She was almost crying when we said there wasn’t one.

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Emma Flournoy
                    @emma-flournoy

@Anne-of-Lothlorien Happy to be of some service.

And I know!! Littles and their randomness and imaginations…yes.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    >