KP Book Club

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    SeekJustice
    @seekjustice
      • Total Posts: 3365

@jenwriter17 @princessfoo @daughteroftheking @dekreel @catwing

And guess what? I’m currently reading The Return of the King! I’m fine for fantasy (but please, please can we do historical next month????)

Also, just a  suggestion. What if we were to read for the whole month and share what we learn as we go, but we don’t necessarily have to read the whole book in the month, if you know what I mean? Just so we make allowances for school, editing, blogging, life, friends, that sort of thing.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Jenna Terese
      @jenwriter17
        • Total Posts: 2522

@seekjustice I’d like to do a historical next too! 😀

I think that’s a good plan. We’ll just self-pace this thing, no rush 😉

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
        www.jennaterese.com

SeekJustice
        @seekjustice
          • Total Posts: 3365

@jenwriter17

Awesome! I have a bunch of historicals I need to read!

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

NC Stokes
          @daughteroftheking
            • Total Posts: 1156

@princessfoo Book 10! I’m surprised by how long it is.

@seekjustice
            @jenwriter17 I’ve got a historical I need to read too. I’m not sure how good it’ll be, but hey, at least I’ll probably learn something about writing. 😀 It was self-published, I think.

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Kaya Young
            @kaya-young
              • Total Posts: 272

@jenwriter17  @all-of-you-guys

I think this sounds awesome!

Now to find a fantasy book… *begs mom to go to the library*

The Kingdom has been torn asunder...
              http://www.encircledbygrace.com/

Rochellaine
              @rochellaine
                • Total Posts: 3322

@kaya-young Do you ever read any books online?  I know of a couple of fantasy books you can read for free online.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Jenna Terese
                @jenwriter17

@seekjustice @daughteroftheking @kaya-young @princessfoo @catwing @dekreel I was going to close the opening for voting on Monday, but how about we just close it now? We’ve got quite a few people now and everyone seems to have agreed on fantasy (and historical as our next one 🙂 ).

So how about we just begin discussing?

www.jennaterese.com

Kaya Young
                  @kaya-young

@rochellaine  Reveal to me your secrets!

Yes, sometimes I read books online, mostly on kindle, and I tried overdrive but it decided it didn’t like my library card for some reason and kicked me out, so I gave up and deleted the app. :/

What do you use to read books online?

Rochellaine
                    @rochellaine

@kaya-young An amazing place to read free books online is gutenberg.org.  Project Gutenberg is a website run by volunteers who put public domain books online for people to read freely and easily.  I use it all the time, and right now am in the middle of a book there called Captain Blood, by Rafael Sabatini. (It’s about a pirate. 😉 )

The books I was speaking of are books by H. Rider Haggard.  He is a very well-loved author from the 1800s who has had books reprinted by several companies.  I’ve read a few of his historical fiction books and they’re really well written. I’m pretty sure he was a Christian, since several of the books I read had people converting to Christianity.  One of his most famous series is a series called “She” and it’s fantasy.  I haven’t read it, because I don’t usually read fantasy, and I read the synopsis and thought it sounded kind of freaky, but then, I was freaked out by The Magician’s Nephew. 😛  I’ll give you a link to the Gutenberg page for Haggard’s books, and a link to the Wikipedia page about Haggard and She.

So, are you interested? 😉

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Rochellaine
                      @rochellaine

@kaya-young Oh, and if you have an iphone you can get any gutenberg books on ibooks, or on any kindle app you can get them, but I don’t think you can get them on an actual kindle.  I used to read them on my iphone and sometimes on a kindle app, but now I mostly read them directly off the website just on my computer.

You can probably get Haggard’s books free on kindle, though, since they’re in the public domain.  I get a lot of public domain books from Amazon on my kindle and read them that way, too, since I really like books written in the early 1900s-1920s.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Kaya Young
                        @kaya-young

@rochellaine  Yes, I am interested! Thank you so much!

PrincessFoo
                          @princessfoo
                            • Total Posts: 194

@jenwriter17 @seekjustice @daughteroftheking @kaya-young @catwing @dekreel

I am ready to begin now! I actually finished the book I was planning on reading already, so I’m ready! (I’m a really fast reader.)

Jenna Terese
                            @jenwriter17

@princessfoo alrighty then, discuss away! 😉

I’m reading Bell Mountain, by Lee Duigon. here are some thoughts on it so far: the author uses omniscient POV, which I never liked. It feels a little distant. Also, I think the story could benefit from more description and worldbuilding.

www.jennaterese.com

PrincessFoo
                              @princessfoo
                                • Total Posts: 194

I’m reading The Floating Island by Elizabeth Haydon. Spoilers ahead *wiggles fingers in warning*

Why I liked it:

1) I think the MC, Ven, was proactive and resourceful. I liked him.

2) At one point Ven was framed, thrown in jail, and told that the king would either execute him or let him rot in jail for the rest of his life, but surprise, the king is actually the bestiest, and can tell he was framed, and also offered Ven a job.

3) Ven is a Nain, which is a race that are secretly dwarfs. It never says they are dwarfs, but Ven is 50 years old, but looks and acts like a young boy. He is tall for his race, but is about the height of a young human. Great empathize is placed on a Nain having a beard, and Nains are known to be great diggers, and live far underground. I like this mostly because I feel clever for putting all the clues together.

Parts I didn’t like:

1) I never felt like the stakes were very high. Even in a matter of life and death, I knew the person wasn’t going to die.

2) There is a prologue explaining that the Lost Journals of Ven had been recently rediscovered, and this is a book recounting his adventures, with authentic journal excerpts put in. At the beginning of the first chapter, the font is in this handwriting script font. It wasn’t hard to read, but I didn’t really like it. If the whole book had been written like that, I would’ve stopped reading. As it was, most of the book was written in third person and normal font, an occasionally a paragraph or two would be first person with handwriting font representing parts of the “original journal” I really didn’t like that, I mostly just skipped over those paragraphs altogether.

Ariel Ashira
                                @ariel-ashira
                                  • Total Posts: 739

I would love to do this, but I have no idea what fantasy book I would read.  Can you let me know when you do historical?

@rochellaine
                                  I like gutenburg too!  And they have Captain Blood??!!  No way!  *rushes off to gutenburg*  I have been wanting to read that book.  Do you like it?  Have you ever seen the movie?

"In a mask, was he?"

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >