Journey to the Past Series by A

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Short Story Critiques Journey to the Past Series by A

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Orielle2023
    @orielle21
      • Total Posts: 173

@freedomwriter76 @godlyfantasy12 @starofthenorth @keilah-h @esther-c @lightoverdarkness6 @felicity @whalekeeper @theloonyone @loopylin

Hello KP. I’ve decided to make a forum on sharing my Journey To The Past (JTTP) series stories. This is the first one I ever wrote. It’s pretty short and funny, but I think it’s cute.

Would there be interest in if I eventually shared my fan fiction JTTP story on the Hobbit? I won’t lie….I used some inspiration from the first two movies (including Tauriel). Let me know.

———————————————————————————————————————–

Journey to the Past

Written August 2018

I looked beyond the hills and across a wide valley before me.

“Once, many years ago, these hills and valleys were empty. Not a single soul was a foot. Except for the buffalo and the occasional Native American traveling to his hunting ground. For so long the land remained untouched. That is, until the white men discovered America and started to pour into this untamed country.”

The guides voice droned on and on. I stood as one transfixed—in a different time. What would it have been like to have lived during that time of settling this great country? I would never know unless I had experienced it. I sighed.

And suddenly, I found myself in the midst of that prairie, only it was the year 1877. I took in my surroundings—a small town had been erected by hard working people. Shanties dotted the long open land. And there I stood.

—————————————————————————————————————————-

Slowly, I inched towards the first house. Looking down at myself, I drew in a surprised breath. I had on a light pink calico dress. I lifted my hand to my head and took off a bonnet. Quickly, I put it back on and tied the strings under my chin. Nervously, I looked around. Then a little boy and what appeared to be his sister dashed out of the closest shanty, not even glancing at me. Their mother, a slim, young woman, opened the door and stepped out.

“Hello!” she greeted. “It’s always nice to see other womenfolk in this town. Pardon me, but did you see two young children come this way?”

Her kind face framed with golden yellow hair chased away my shyness. “Yes, indeed. They look like healthy children with their cheeks so rosy red.”

The mother laughed good naturedly. “Well, I have to say I am enjoying this good air myself.”

What should I say now? I turned over a few things. I could ask for a job as a maid. I wasn’t about to go searching in the town, for who knows what kinds of questions I might be asked. This lady seemed nice enough. “Do you need help, I mean, could you use a maid?”

“Why, yes! I definitely could use some help with cooking, sewing, and washing. Keeping up with a growing family keeps a woman on her toes!” the lady was laughing. “But, I couldn’t afford to pay you….” she added.

“No worries,” I responded quickly. “As long as I could have a crust of bread to eat and a place to lay my head I’ll work as hard as a draft horse. I was born to work,” I added emphatically.

The lady looked me up and down. Apparently pleased, she smiled. “I’m Laura Bushman. Welcome to Kansas!”

“Thank you,” I faltered, hoping she wouldn’t ask any questions about my coming. “I’m Maria Holbrook.”

Soon Laura welcomed me warmly into her little dwelling. It was neatly yet humbly furnished with a wood stove, a fireplace, a rocker, a few shelves, and plenty of beds laden with colorful quilts. A cherry fire burned in the hearth. Silently, a cute baby girl slept in a handmade cradle. Laura bent over her youngest darling and tweaked the blanket. The most expensive treasures, Laura’s wedding gift of china dishes, were displayed neatly in a hutch and could be clearly noticed.

“Dinner time is nearing and my husband and brother will be here to join us. If you could, please set the table. Put on the red checkered table cloth and the china plates.” Laura said.

Happily, I laid a beautiful table. I put a few candles on and lighted them. The room seemed quite dark. “As soon as my husband can get enough funds, we’d like to send for some windows from back East,” the hostess explained.

During lunch preparations, I met all of Laura’s children. Eight-year-old Abe, who I had seen earlier, came in hot and sweaty. Mary Anne, a quiet girl, was six-years-old. Thomas and Frank were twins. At four, they were the sweetest little boys I had ever set eyes on. Both had golden hair and blue eyes like their Ma. It turned out that I shared my name with the youngest, little Maria.

A stomping of boots and a jolly laugh announced the men’s arrival. “Hello there!” Laura called out. Before she could explain, her brothers voice came loud and clearly through the opened door.

“I’ll be washed and hung out to dry! A table set so fine for a mid-day meal? Expecting somebody?” he smiled mischievously.

“James, we do have company. I met Maria Holbrook just outside this forenoon and….”

I stood nervously smiling. A shocked and embarrassed James and a surprised Mr. Andrew Bushman met my gaze.

“……and she needs a job. I’ve decided to take on her help. She says she doesn’t need any pay, just a place to eat and lie her head.”

“I can work as hard as a draft horse, sirs,” I said.

At that, the men burst into laughter again and properly introduced themselves with slight bows. “You’re welcome to stay as long as the children don’t mind,” Andrew said seriously.

“And it’ll be nice to have someone else to take to on those boring wintry evenings,” James put in. “Do you like politics?”

“Indeed, sir!” I replied, for I honestly did. Laura looked a little surprised.

“I’m not honorable enough to be called sir. James is fine,” he grinned.

Dinner went pleasantly. We talked of so many things. Surprisingly, nobody asked where I had come from or who I came with. And I was glad.

Week days flew by despite the monstrous amount of work to do. Early every morning I made bread and them moved on to breakfast. James said my bread smelled like donuts, but I wasn’t too sure about that. Wash days came around every Tuesday and Thursday. Boy did my water get dirty fast from the little boys’ trousers and food-stained shirts. Mary proved herself to be a little lady, carefully playing in her pretty dresses. Sewing also had a place in the week. Actually, it was performed every minute that Laura and I could spare. Mary knew how to sew but of course she still needed to perfect her skills. Gardening took up my mornings after breakfast. I loved being in the cool sunshine. Indeed, I did work like a draft horse out there. I had sufficient energy like I never had experienced before. Maybe it was due to the good air in the unpolluted atmosphere. Or maybe it was because of the healthy, life-giving food. Whatever the cause, under my care the garden flourished and even Mr. Bushman looked enviously over the neat weedless rows of vegetables. Maria’s cheeks took on the reflection of the evening sun set when I took her out. The twins loved story time and I could entertain them for hours.

“Must be in her blood,” Laura said. I overheard this comment and almost laughed aloud.

My coming wasn’t unnoticed by the other young ladies in town. Soon I had even made several friends. Martha Hancock lived only next door and came over quite often. I met Laurie Fenlock and Julia Witherspoon at the little church in town. Even Alicia Everwealth, the stylish and saucy girl of the town, overlooked my “uncivilized” dresses and came to talk about gardens, breads, and the latest town news.

Once in a while I got to go into town to get supplies. It proved to be a beautiful walk each time I went and every time I enjoyed it all the more. The general store with its false front was always bustling with people. Today was a pleasant fall day and Laura had sent me for some flour and a little sugar. A man outside held open the door for me.

“Thank you, sir,” I said politely. I entered the store and the the manager greeted me.

“Good to see you, Miss….?”

“Holbrook, sir,” I answered.

“Holbrook, why there’s a letter here for a Miss Holbrook and I don’t recall any other Holbrook in this town,” he said, handing me an envelope.

“Thank you,” I responded, taking the offered letter. After I proceeded to buy the supplies, I headed homeward. I found place to set down my basket and sat down to open the letter. The address was unfamiliar.

“Dear Miss Holbrook,

We need a school teacher in this town. I have heard of your coming and have decided to ask for you to consider this opportunity. I will be in town in a few weeks to hear from you personally. There will be a test to take, but I believe you will find it quite simple.

Sincerely,

Master John Williams, School Board Director

I closed the letter and tucked it into my pocket. “Well, I didn’t know I was so popular,” I said aloud, of course not meant for any ears besides my own.

“What makes you say that?” a voice broke into my thoughts. I looked up into the grinning face of James.

“Where, I mean, why, how’d you get here?” I turned red.

“Aww now don’t be ashamed. I was just coming to get a piece for the plow from the store and happened to see you here. Now what’s this about being famous?” he probed.

“Well, I just got a letter from the school director and he wants me to teach the school here. Look!” I handed him the letter so he could read it for himself.

“That’s a fortune! I bet they’ll pay you real well. I wouldn’t turn it down if I were you,” he said, his blue eyes shining.

“But what about Laura? I’m her maid,” I reminded him. “I can’t just walk off now.”

“What makes you think you have to walk off? I bet if you tell her you’re gonna be a teacher, she’ll let you go. Besides, she got along fine before you came.”

I shrugged. “We’ll see.” I reached home and put the supplies away in the pantry. I decided to wait until supper came to share the news.

It wasn’t until we were all around the table and grace was said that I took out the letter and gave it to Mr. Bushman. “Here’s a letter that I received from the School Board this morning. I thought you and Laura would like to read it.”

James winked at me.

Mr. Bushman took out the letter and gave it to his wife. I watched and waited for her response. She fussed with little Maria’s bib and spooned some food into her little mouth before she replied. I was surprised by far.

“It looks as though we just hit gold, dear.”

“How so?”

“Maria’s been offered a position as teacher and I do believe they will pay her well.” Laura was happy. Mr. Bushman was happy. James was happy.

“I’ll write back write away and say yes if you agree,” I said quickly.

“Agreed.”

That night found me in my room with ink in a quill, a piece of paper, and an envelope.

“Dear Sir,

I have decided to accept this proposal if it suits you and the board. I can’t say I’ve taught before, but as I told the folks who’ve been putting me up, I work like a draft horse. If we put our minds to the tasks before us, they will get accomplished. I’ve seen this everywhere. Please come to Mr. Bushman’s house, for that is where I am boarding. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Miss Maria Holbrook

Care of Mr. and Mrs. Bushman

Surprisingly, Master John Williams appeared at the door sooner then I expected. The clock read 12:00 p.m. and Laura and I were just welcoming the men in for a delicious meal. Quickly, without a second thought, I set another place as Mr. Bushman greeted the teacher, inviting him to join us for the meal.

Curling his mustache, he replied with a deep, booming voice. “Indeed, the pleasure is mine to join this fine family!”

Conversation around the table drifted from farming to politics to local news. Finally, Mr. Williams turned to me. “Well, I suppose this is Miss Holbrook?”

“Yes, sir,” I replied, rising to curtsy.

“It’s a blessing we found someone as willing as you,” he put in after introductions. “Most girls would rather perform other tasks then this one.”

“Who would dare to put down such an offer?” James exclaimed.

“Oh, many, many girls did,” Mr. Williams said, rather uncomfortably. “I guess their expectations were too high. They….they wanted higher pay. You see…” he rushed on, “we can’t pay Miss Holbrook as well as other schools would.”

A sullen look came over Mr. Bushman’s face, but he didn’t say a word.

Laura looked at her husband.

James went on unscathed, or so it seemed. “So then, how much would she be getting then per month?” It was blunt and to the point.

“A good sum of twenty-five dollars a month,” came the answer.

I carefully turned my eyes towards Mr. Bushman and Laura to see a response. It seemed as though they had relaxed a little. James looked pleased. Then I noticed that everyone was looking at me, even the children. I must give a response. Should I say something funny?

“Twenty-five dollars is better than none, Master Williams. I’ll gladly teach school for these wages. When does school start?”

A relieved smile overcame Mr. Williams’ face. “School starts in two weeks. The test is to be given at my office at 8:00 tomorrow.”

I smiled. “I’ll be ready.”

Abe looked like he was going to burst with some response. Children were required to be seen and not heard, but his father noticed and said, “Yes, Abe?”

“Is Miss Holbrook going to be our teacher too?”

“Yes!” Laura answered with a calm smile on her face.

“Good.” Mary Anne piped up quietly. Only I heard and I gave her a big smile.

That evening around the fire, Laura made a suggestion. “How about a new dress, Maria? You’d look nice in a light blue calico dress and with a new bonnet.”

“Oh, Laura, I mean, I don’t need it. My pink calico would work,” I said quickly, realizing though that is was pretty worn.

“Maria shall have a new dress,” stated James in his firm way. “I will purchase some fabric tomorrow so you and Laura can start working on it.”

I stood up. “Now James, you can’t do that. I don’t need a new dress and there’s no use wasting your hard earned income on me!”

“Why would it be wasted?”he questioned mischievously and then I gave up. Sitting down again, I took up my sewing and gave him a ‘thank you’ smile.

Next day when I walked into the dining room after completing the test, I noticed ten yards of light blue calico laying on the table. For the next two weeks, Laura’s and my needles flashed in and out of the beautiful fabric. Soon, the beautiful dress lay on my bed ready to be worn. Early Monday morning, after baking bread, I ran up the stairs and pulled on and buttoned that dress. Oh how I loved it!!

Just as I had reached for my lunch pail and was about to bid Laura goodbye, James came hurrying in. “I though this would do you good too,” he said, his mischievous smile present. I unwrapped the box and there appeared the prettiest hat I had ever set eyes on.

“Oh, how…how lovely!”

“Just what I’d thought you’d say,” and he was gone.

The morning was cool and I could see my breath on the air. Placing one foot in front of the other, I drew nearer and nearer to the school house. I had noticed it before, but of course had given it little thought. What did a school house have to do with me? Now I was the teacher. A clattering wagon kicking up a whirlwind of dust approached. My new dress! I thought as the dust bowl went passed. Or at least it started to.

“Is that you, Miss Holbrook? Excuse my dust, but congratulations! It’ll be nice to have a teacher like you for my youngsters!” It was the store manager.

“Oh, thank you, sir!” I replied. Soon the form of the whitened school house arose and I approached the small flight of stairs. Admiring the simpleness yet beauty of the building, I was surprised to hear a voice. A small, girl’s voice.

“Are you to be the new teacher?”

“Yes, dear,” I said, looking into the prettiest eyes I had ever seen. The face of the young girl was framed by thick, curling, golden hair.

“Here is a gift for you. I came early so that I could give it to you.” Her face was bright and clean.

“You are a sweet heart,” I said taking the offered apple. “Your name?”

“Lily Everwealth.”

“Your big sister and I are good friends. How glad I am to meet you. Now come in and help me get things settled.” I took the little girl’s hand and together we entered the room. I took off my hat, gave it a fond look, and hung it on the hook by the door along with my cloak.

At nine o’clock, children began pouring into the school house. Boys and girls of all sizes and hair colors spilled into the doorway. Rising, I greeted them all. “It is a good day to begin school. While our minds are fresh and the sun is shining, let’s diligently work. Let us start with introductions please.” One by one, the students said their names. In the back row three older boys sat: James, Samuel, and Eugene. I guessed they weren’t too much older then me. Little Lily Everwealth and Mary Anne Bushman sat with the first graders Debbie, Grace, and Fredrick on the row nearest me. Filling the spaces between were six boys and eight girls: Henry, Joseph, Cassie, Annie, Abe Bushman, Charles, Adam, Willy, Jane, Sara, Rosie, Lydia, Catherine, and Charlotte. We stood for morning prayers and then my first school day began. Everyone except the big boys had studied their books during the summer between field and house work. I gave out assignments to the boys and told them that studying made good students. Eugene smirked at me and I knew I was to have a time of it with him. First grade recitations went very well. Fredrick gave me a big smile when he was finished and I knew he was going to make a pleasant student. Charles, Adam, and Willy were brothers and they implied that they would rather be elsewhere then in school. I took this to heart. Recess came swiftly. Joining the others outside, I played a good game of baseball. Everyone enjoyed that. More school work, studying, lunch, and recess made the day fly by. It wasn’t long before I dismissed the students, telling them how much of a good day we had had.

“Our other teacher was so strict,” declared Willy. “He never allowed us to have a good time at recess. Assignments were sooo long and hard.”

The others gathered round. “Children,”I began as I stood on the porch. All eyes were on me. “I intend to establish hardworking students in this school. If we can work hard and have fun together, then let us do that. Learning doesn’t just happen in school. It happens at recess, at home, in the fields, and under this great sun.” I turned my face up into the sunshine. “Learn as much as you can and at the same time enjoy yourselves!” I skipped down the stairs after locking the door. Abe offered to carry my cloak, as the weather had warmed. Waving to the children as I set off down the road towards home, I could feel my heart bursting with joy. I took Mary’s hand in mine.

“Teacher, we had a lovely day, didn’t we?” she asked so sweetly.

“I believe we did, Mary Anne.” She let go of my hand as we approached the house and raced Abe to the door. Laura swung it open.

“How delightfully happy you all look!” she exclaimed. I took off my hat and hung it inside the doorway before replying. But Abe beat me to it.

“It couldn’t have gone any better, Mother. I’d say Miss Holbrook’s the best teacher ever.”

I fled outdoors, my blue calico skirts streaming behind me. I ran into the garden and looked up to that hill where I had first set eyes on this valley……………….

—————————————————————————————————————————-

“Come, Maria. It’s time to go. The guide’s done talking.” It was my brother’s voice. “Mom and Dad are already in the car. What are you so spell bound about?”

I took one last longing look over the valley, now filled with houses of every possible design. Cars drove in the streets. Just as I turned to go, I heard the bells of a church go off and saw a bus stop at the school to pick up the children. Then, a tear slipped down my cheek. A happy tear.

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo

Orielle2023
      @orielle21

More tags. 🙂

@wilder-w @mineralizedwritings @koshka @elishavet-pidyon @ava-blue @folith-feolin @power @sarafini @madelyn @arien

As always, enjoy or ignore. 🙂 And if you don’t want me to tag you, let me know. I won’t be offended. 😉

Orielle2023
        @orielle21
          GodlyFantasy12
          @godlyfantasy12
            • Total Posts: 6645

@orielle21

amazing!

until I got to the end and I legit said-

WHAT….

because I totally shipped James and Maria….. 😭

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
            #ProtectMarcel
            #ProtectSeb

Gwyndalf the Wise
            @gwyndalf-the-wise
              • Total Posts: 404

@orielle21
              I like it! I am slightly confused, though… Is this a time-travel story or the character was daydreaming about what this town would’ve been like or something else entirely?

And I’d love to hear about the Hobbit one.

"...I did not say to the seed of Jacob, 'Seek Me in vain..."
              (Part of) Isaiah 45:19

Keilah H.
              @keilah-h
                • Total Posts: 3875

@orielle21 Very nice! I felt like it was real.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

MineralizedWritings
                @mineralizedwritings
                  • Total Posts: 2794

@orielle21

Loved it! Was kinda disappointing that ship didn’t work out…

Speaking of which, I think I’ve noticed something about your writing. 😂

James and Jonath… act really similar.

🤔🤨

You got a type? XDXD

へびは かっこいい です!

Orielle2023
                  @orielle21

@godlyfantasy12

because I totally shipped James and Maria….. 😭

I know. I apologize about that. Don’t worry. James will find another Maria in his world.

Orielle2023
                    @orielle21

@gwyndalf-the-wise

I like it! I am slightly confused, though… Is this a time-travel story or the character was daydreaming about what this town would’ve been like or something else entirely?

Sorry I wasn’t clear about that! Yes….it is a time travel story. So, all the stories in this series that I plan to share are going to begin with a character in the present. They will then be transported back in time to some historical event. Whether they return to the present is for the reader to find out. 🙂 I don’t focus much on how they get there…it just happens.

And I’d love to hear about the Hobbit one.

Great!! That one needs some editing and I need to see if I actually finished it…it’s been so long since I read it. LOL.

Orielle2023
                      @orielle21

@keilah-h

Very nice! I felt like it was real.

Glad you enjoyed it!! XD

Orielle2023
                        @orielle21

@mineralizedwritings

You got a type? XDXD

Lol. So, most of these stories I wrote when I was 16-18 years old….all that to say, yes, I do have somewhat of a type but it has changed dramatically since then. XD That is super neat that you picked up on that….good to know. From your experience, is it good to have patterns/similarities in writing or should one vary it up? I want to have a style that’s mine but I don’t want it to get boring for the reader. Does that make sense?

BTW I just noticed that if you post one more time, you will be at 1000 posts! XD XD XD XD XD

MineralizedWritings
                          @mineralizedwritings
                            • Total Posts: 2794

@orielle21

Lol yeah! Let’s see what my rank becomes!

Yeah, I did pick up on it but some of that is because of some random comment you made about writing guy characters awhile back.

Also, I’m pretty aware of that happening because it shows very much in both my sister and I’s writing, it’s a major teasing point for us.

Tauren

XD

Like you could look at each of our writing and know exactly what we like XD.

It’s a bit different for me because it’s a series, and it might be a long time until I start another one, so it’s ok for me to have the same guy throughout the whole thing. I would say that they (jonath and james) are similar to the extent I wouldn’t be surprised if somebody told me they were the same 😂 I know it’s kind of hard to stay away from, it’s a bit inevitable at some point. At the same time, it’s not necessarily a bad thing a couple times. That’s good writing for that age too!

へびは かっこいい です!

Gwyndalf the Wise
                            @gwyndalf-the-wise

@orielle21

Sorry I wasn’t clear about that! Yes….it is a time travel story. So, all the stories in this series that I plan to share are going to begin with a character in the present. They will then be transported back in time to some historical event. Whether they return to the present is for the reader to find out. 🙂 I don’t focus much on how they get there…it just happens.

No worries! I guess I should’ve gathered that information from the title…

XD in all well done time-travel stories it just happens cause…time-travel is a brain pretzel.

Great!! That one needs some editing and I need to see if I actually finished it…it’s been so long since I read it. LOL.

=)

Orielle2023
                              @orielle21

@gwyndalf-the-wise

Here’s a little teaser for you from my JTTP Hobbit fan fic story. It has over 22,000 words. LOL. I started it in March of 2019 and finished it in January of 2020.

Main Characters: Eugene, Meadow, Rowena, and Alfred

Eugene: tough, ready-for-anything, strong, handsome seventeen-year-old

Eudora: strong, determined, detective,  jolly sixteen-year-old

Rowena: soft, beautiful, gray eyed, intelligent girl of fourteen years

Alfred: happy-go-lucky, energetic, hazardous, mischievous twelve-year-old

They live in London, England in a huge castle house with their father and mother, who are wealthy aristocrats who do not have time to raise them

===================================================================

“It is such a rotten day,” complained Eudora from her perch on the windowsill. “I just don’t understand why it had to rain when we were going to go on our picnic.”

A surprised look enveloped Rowena’s face as she looked up from reading her new novel, Emma. What had happened to her usually jolly sister? With her bright blue eyes and pretty face framed by thick golden hair, Eudora almost rivaled the princess of England.

“I don’t like being trapped in this castle all day either,” Alfred agreed as he lept from the little table to one of the prized sofas. Under a crop of dark brown hair, Alfred’s snapping green eyes dared Rowena to comment. 

“What I don’t appreciate is that both of you are being so sour,” Rowena finally said in a soft voice. Everyone in their huge castle knew that Rowena had the soft, gray eyes of her mother but the wise intellect of her father.

Just then, Eugene opened the door and entered in his gentlemanly fashion. “What’s the problem, Eudora?” he asked pleasantly.

Eugene’s handsome appearance and pleasant words always bettered any dreary outlook. Eudora thought so too and to please her older brother, she replied, “Nothing is wrong. I was just wishing that the rain would stop. We can’t change that, so I’m going to read for the rest of the afternoon in the library.”

“May I come too?” asked Alfred. “I want to find one of Uncle Norman’s books to read. His are always full of adventure.”

“Of course, as long as you don’t fall into mischief.”

“I won’t!” he exclaimed.

“I’ll join you too,” decided Rowena, smoothing out her skirts and putting her book under her arm.

“I’m headed that way myself!” Eugene informed and soon the four children were going down a long, wide hall. Their feet, clad in leather shoes, made no sound on the velvety red carpet that showed the way to the great oaken door of the grand library. Once inside, the children were held spell bound for a few awe inspiring minutes.

“Never do I tire of the beauty of this room,” sighed Rowena dreamily.

“Me neither,” Eugene agreed. “Come, Alfred. I’ll find some good books for you to read.” The two moved quietly to the south side of the room while the girls went to search on the west side where huge windows let in the light.

Eudora smiled as her hand lighted upon the books of Charles Dickens. “I do love his works,” she commented to her sister as she pulled A Tale of Two Cities off of one of the shelves.

Rowena, after deciding that the book she brought along was sufficient, found a comfortable seat in one of the overstuffed chairs. Eudora wandered over to window and sat on the wide sill.

Meanwhile, the boys were busy trying to find the secret stash of Uncle Norman’s old books that he moved about the library from time to time.

“Clues, clues,” sighed Alfred. “I am not good at solving mysteries except those that are in books. Where would he have put them this time?”

Eugene’s eyes lit up. “I know. First, we must find the American painting that Uncle brought home with him. It’s the Kindred Spirits by Ashur Durand.”

Alfred knew this painting very well and he loved to study it. The boys found the painting and sure enough, there were Uncle Norman’s books.

“Ahhh, such a lovely collection!” Alfred said in a whisper. He read all of the titles, but only one stood out that he hadn’t noticed before. It was called The Hobbit. A certain J.R.R. Tolkien had written it.

“What’s a hobbit?” questioned Alfred to his brother.

Eugene was flipping through a fat book that had come from America with Uncle Norman. “I don’t know. I suppose you should find out.” He sat down on the floor and buried his nose in Moby Dick.

Alfred carefully removed the little volume from the shelf and opened it. After putting his finger in the place of the first chapter, he scurried to one of the big windows and began to read. The first sentence of the book said thus: “In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.” Alfred read page after page after page of the story and was so engrossed that he didn’t hear the dinner bell ring.

“Oh, dear, Alfred!” exclaimed Rowena. “We must hurry. We will be late for tea.”

“I do wish I could forget tea for once,” he said. “This book is so interesting.”

“What is it about?” asked Eugene and Eudora at the same time.

As the children made their way to the dining room, Alfred recounted all that he had read.

“I’ll have to take a look at that book myself,” Eugene said thoughtfully. “It is mighty captivating.”

“It sounds quite scary,” Rowena commented.

“Wouldn’t it be interesting if there were really hobbits?” Eudora laughed.

The maid scolded them several times for their tardiness as they took their places around the table. But, when she saw how happy the children were, she forgot their faults and served them well.

Immediately after dismissal, Eugene, Eudora, Rowena, and Alfred scurried away to the library. They could not retrieve the mysterious book right away because Uncle Norman was busy at the desk doing some writing.

Finally, their Uncle left. Alfred grabbed the book and began to read aloud. Thus, that dismal dreary day passed in great excitement.

“I’m rather glad we didn’t have a picnic today,” Eudora said that night as she put on her long white nightgown. “I wonder how many other books Uncle Norman has like that.”

Rowena yawned sleepily. “I do hope he lets us have The Hobbit. I would like to read it for myself from beginning to end. I wonder if they will accomplish their goal.”

They were tucked in bed and ready to sleep when Alfred came into the room. “Eudora, are you still awake?”

“Yes.”

“Goodnight.”

“Goodnight. Go to sleep now.” She turned towards the wall and promptly fell asleep.

Only the mice could have heard the pitter patter of feet on the floor as a young boy crept from his sisters’ room and made a silent bee line for his uncle’s bookshelf……..

Gwyndalf the Wise
                                @gwyndalf-the-wise

@orielle21
                                  I like it! The very first part is giving me Pevensie vibes. XD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >