January Hill (WIP idea)

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Idea Critiques January Hill (WIP idea)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Folith-Feolin
    @folith-feolin
      • Total Posts: 310

So Hello guys

anyway I’m sick with COVID-19 at the moment but while I was sitting there I came up with a brilliant whip that I just had to share so here it is…

January Hill

There is an old house on top January Hill some say you it’s haunted, that if you look in the windows at night you can see something moving inside. Teenagers Daphne Smith, Ben Ryozo, Andrzej Jacek don’t believe these rumours. On a dare them and a few other teens decide to spend three nights in the old house.

The great Inspector Sapane Dekhane recounts one of her greatest mysteries. One in which she must clear her name, a mastermind  serial killer pulls all of the strings and in which no one can be trusted.

Officer Shadenda Hodge is dying. Now with 9 days left to live she decides to take up the one case she never closed the one that ended all those years ago with the disaster in January Hill.

The grumpy old man, Alexander, has lived atop January Hill for a long time. Recently however something strange has been happening. His neighbours child, Fred, a self proclaimed paranormal investigator says the house is haunted. Together grumpy Alexander and young Fred set out to discover what is truly going on.

what do you think 🤔

Light
      @lightoverdarkness6
        • Total Posts: 1626

@folith-feolin

Oh no!! Hope you feel better soon!

Ooh! That sounds very interesting and spooky. Usually, I don’t really read thrillers, but if I did I would definitely read that. It sounds really cool!

How long did it take you to come up with it?

#HugRikerSquad

Folith-Feolin
        @folith-feolin

@lightoverdarkness6
          Thanks!

I think it took about 90 mins. It took longer to flesh out the large twists at the end (which I didn’t mention here because well… Spoilers)

I was also kind of sitting there doing nothing though so…

Orielle2023
          @orielle21
            • Total Posts: 173

@folith-feolin

anyway I’m sick with COVID-19

So sorry to hear. Hope you get better soon!

Your idea sounds super cool and I love the character names!! Can’t wait to read it. 😉

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo

Gwyndalf the Wise
            @gwyndalf-the-wise
              • Total Posts: 404

@folith-feolin

Sounds like an interesting mystery! I like the plot especially.
              I’m unsure as to whether I’d read it or not. Depends on how you do the serial killer and what you show and whatnot.
              XD How do you pronounce Andrzej? I’ve tried multiple times and don’t think any of my attempts are correct.
              Why is the hill named January?

"...I did not say to the seed of Jacob, 'Seek Me in vain..."
              (Part of) Isaiah 45:19

Folith-Feolin
              @folith-feolin

@gwyndalf-the-wise

I have no idea how to pronounce Andrzej. I had played Nemesis Lockdown a few days before (I  just got it as I found it on sale) anyway it is made by a Polish company (there are actually a lot of polish board game companies (the people that own Gamefound are actually polish (in fact they kind of are the people that made nemesis lockdown) ) So when I was struggling to come up with a name I was like how bout I just use the first name of the guy that makes nemesis.  I messed up. His first name is Adam. Andrzej is the first name of the guy that made the witcher series (He is also polish). I don’t really count that against myself for not being able to keep their names straight as they both start with A’s and I’m sick. (I’m sticking with Andrzej though.)

I named the hill January hill for no real reason other than I was playing Undaunted Stalingrad

(check out my review here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2996785/undaunted-stalingrad-some-thoughts-after-two-plays

now I’m done with my shameless plug)

Anyway, one of the locations on the map that you can gain control of is 9 January Square (named after one of history’s many “Bloody Sundays”, this was the one that corresponds to the Russian revolution). So When I needed to come up with a title originally I went to the ninth of January which then became that night in January which then became January hill.

Gwyndalf the Wise
                @gwyndalf-the-wise
                  • Total Posts: 404

@folith-feolin

Oh, okay. Interesting!

"...I did not say to the seed of Jacob, 'Seek Me in vain..."
                  (Part of) Isaiah 45:19

Esther
                  @esther-c
                    • Total Posts: 3205

@folith-feolin

Ooooh! Interesting idea!!

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Felicity
                    @felicity
                      • Total Posts: 811

@folith-feolin

Wow what an interesting idea! That’s too bad you got covid, but maybe if you hadn’t you’d never have come up with January Hill. (Just thought I’d try playing Pollyanna’s glad game)

I did not know that about the Polish board game makers. That’s really neat. I’m always looking out for random facts about all things Poland because I’m a third generation Pole and I’m really into the culture and language.

Please keep the name Andrzej Jacek! I really like it.

Andrzej is pronounced An-drzh-eh. The drz is like a d with a rolling r and then a zh sound all mushed together.

And Jacek would be pronounced Yah-tsek.

I’m really interested in the teenagers and if you’ve created any of their ages, personalities, etc yet.

He must increase, but I must decrease.

Anonymous
                        • Total Posts: 76

Feel better soon @folith-feolin !

That idea sounds really interesting. Will it be like a multiple point of view kind of thing? As in, you switch back and forth between chapters?

LandriC
                        @landric
                          • Total Posts: 105

Hi @folith-feolin~

First off, hope you’re feeling better! I had COVID before Christmas and it was not fun at all, as I’m sure you’ve learned 😉 Hope it hasn’t been too bad. Like @felicity said, at least you got some good inspiration!

Second, I’m not usually a thriller reader either, but you’ve intrigued me with your concept. Are you going with horror-creepy or just thriller-creepy? If it’s not too dark or emotional, I’d probably really enjoy reading it! Your intertwining plot lines sound great. Good luck and tag me if you post it!

"To death or to victory"

Folith-Feolin
                          @folith-feolin

@felicity
                            yeah awakenrealms is a fun company if you want something really weird/cool that they have done is they made a mural as a publicity stunt

It’s located in Gdańsk Poland

Folith-Feolin
                            @folith-feolin

@booksandbeakers

@landric

Im not much of a thriller horror reader/watcher either.

with that said I do read wiki summaries of books and tv shows that are just all over the place. (The one benefits of wiki summaries is that they generally sort of cut out the bad stuff as in just being like Jim kills Bob instead of Jim killing bob and you having to go through the gory details.

With that said I’m probably going for a more thriller creepy less here is a bunch of jumpscares and more let’s just this is creepy as a side effect of the story I’m trying to tell maybe a bit love craft creepy. On top of this I’m the type of person who cares a lot about plot and not so much about the big flashy fight scenes at the end of marvel movies (I mean there fun just I like crazy plot better)

Also yes it is multi-narrative or multi-pov. I love multi-narrative stuff (if you couldn’t tell) If you want some good multi narrative suff the stormlight archive is great, also Licanius trilogy. (The blade itself is the best one Ive read but you have to be able to push through some foul language) (sorry that was all fantasy that’s what I read a lot of)

Felicity
                              @felicity
                                • Total Posts: 811

@folith-feolin

Wow that’s awesome. When I go to Poland within the next couple years (hopefully) I’ll look for it.

He must increase, but I must decrease.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              >