Is there a character type (cliched or not) that you love…

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters Is there a character type (cliched or not) that you love…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ella
    @nova21
      • Total Posts: 604

…if so, what is it?  Because I want to write about it.   Life is very busy right now, so I’m trying to use the weekend to write a short story that will be the outlet I need, as well as the satisfaction of no blank page. 😉  So…if y’all have any ideas, I’d love to hear them.

what we do in life echoes in eternity
      -gladiator, 2000

Kathleen
      @kathleenramm
        • Total Posts: 635

@nova21

I’ve always liked the outcast character. The character that it feels like the world is pitted against them, and they’re always the underdog. I’m not sure why, but oftentimes those characters also have great motivations for their goals and a great sense of humor. So yeah, I like outcast characters.

I also like characters with secret and deadly identities. This character is a cliche, but I still like them nonetheless. Especially when a character loves one of their identities, but hates the other. No matter how many times I read/watch it, it never gets old.

Linyang Zhang
        @devastate-lasting
          • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm On the topic of secret identities, have you watched Miraculous Ladybug?

@nova21
          I like the tsundere character. You know, the Grumpy Cat. Will kill you if their coffee is not right, but if you’re dying he’ll cry. Also I really like cinnamon roll characters. They’re so cute and fluffy.

Lately, it's been on my brain
          Would you mind letting me know
          If hours don't turn into days

Gracie J.
          @gracie-j
            • Total Posts: 1789

@nova21 There are so many! I love the dark and brooding guy. (Or the Rhett Butler! 😆) Just that overwhelming cliched attitude of sulking meanness and sarcasm…it’s appealing. It really is. Especially when you give the character a really good reason to be so dark.

And then there’s the jerk. And I don’t mean the high school jerk. I mean that girl who’s just so evil that it makes you want to claw your eyeballs out. (As in Scarlett O’Hara, or my own Scarlette Wilde.) They’re so composed and put-together. They’re almost perfect. But then…boom! There they go being awfully mean again. Or just having a seriously terrible attitude. They’re so multifaceted and complex with an intricate psychology that you almost don’t mind them being thoroughly horrible. They’re just a good character. You know?

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

ella
            @nova21
              • Total Posts: 604

@gracie-j, @devastate-lasting, @kathleenramm

Cool beans. 😉 Thanks!!  I like all those characters (Scarlett O’Hara got under my skin tho, haha)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by ella.

what we do in life echoes in eternity
              -gladiator, 2000

Gracie J.
              @gracie-j
                • Total Posts: 1789

@nova21 My pleasure! She got under mine too, but once I examined her thoroughly (😆) I realized that she wasn’t all bad. Her type of character is fun to write too!

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Kathleen
                @kathleenramm
                  • Total Posts: 635

@devastate-lasting

No, haven’t. But if does secret identities well, I may have to…

Linyang Zhang
                  @devastate-lasting
                    • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm It involves two characters who are basically in a love square because they don’t realize each other’s secret identities. I’ve heard it’s quite amazing.

Lately, it's been on my brain
                    Would you mind letting me know
                    If hours don't turn into days

TheLobsterLover
                    @thelobsterlover
                      • Total Posts: 28

@kathleenramm, @devastate-lasting, @nova21

ooh, I could talk about this for DAYS

I quite like shy, sensitive male characters who do a lot of introspecting. Bonus points if they’re traumatized/have a tragic past. Dark mysterious characters who push people away because they’re afraid of hurting them get me every time. Oh, and the smooth, gentlemanly ones are pretty great too.

*realizes she just described her ocs to a tee*

[quote quote=86545]@nova21[/quote]

I cannot agree more with the secret identities thing. They are my all time favourite trope and I honestly thought I was the only one who liked it. Glad to see someone else feels the same. I think there aren’t enough stories that explore this trope in a serious manner. Even Miraculous (which is a show I love to death) has a few secret-identity related plot holes and tends to drag out it’s romance (There are three episodes where the main characters’ identities get revealed, and they’ve ALL been retconned; I’m being completely serious). Which is what my current WIP is for.

Hmm, how shall I emotionally torture my ocs today I wonder...

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    >