Is it Possible?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Idea Critiques Is it Possible?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Shaina
    @jenali
      • Total Posts: 142

Does anyone think its possible to write a book where one of the characters is the reader? Kind of like in first person video games I guess. The characters in the book interact with the reader, and the reader may or may not help them. At the very least the characters are aware that the reader exists. It’s not like the choose your own adventures, it is a novel. The reader/character wouldn’t be able to talk though….. I guess the idea came about when I heard about second person, where it is all ‘you’ instead of ‘she’.
      The idea has been wandering around in my head for a while. I don’t even have a plot, just the idea. I doubt very seriously that the book would ever be published, I just want to know if it is possible!

The Scattered Writer

Rosey Mucklestone
      @writefury
        • Total Posts: 467

I think it would be rather limiting as far as character development. You can’t develop the main character, because it’s the reader and the reader will be different people.
        However, you could teach lessons through that sort of storytelling… hmm…
        Not sure. I’ve had that thought before, hearing about second person. I wonder if there are any books out there other than the CYOAs that do that?
        Maybe try it in a short story and see how it works?

Sarah Hoven
        @sarah-h
          • Total Posts: 669

I’ve wondered that too, but I couldn’t figure out how to make it work. If you ever do write such a story, Shiana, I would like to read it.

Shaina
          @jenali

I have never heard of a book that does that. A short story may be the only place it would work, otherwise it might start to get frustrating. I will have to try it sooner rather than later!

The Scattered Writer

Hope Ann
            @hope
              • Total Posts: 1092

I don’t know how that would work, though it’s an interesting idea. You could kind of do it if it was a story inside a story sort of deal. Otherwise…I’m not sure. But you can do almost anything with writing. 🙂

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Sarah Spradlin
              @spradlin
                • Total Posts: 189

Definitely a really interesting question, Shaina! I’d say the answer to this question, too, (in writing, albeit) is always yes. For me, the real question is usually “Is it possible to do it well?/Do I think I can do this well?” And if that’s the case, then DO IT! Another couple of helpful questions are “Why do I want to do this?/Is it essential/meaningful to the story to use this style?” and “Is there a better way to accomplish this?”

Hope this helps!

"When enemies attack your kingdom you don't flee you show them why it's your kingdom. With your lightsaber."

Ezra Wilkinson
                @ezra-wilkinson
                  • Total Posts: 146

I think Sarah’s really right about the “Why do I want to do this?/Is it essential/meaningful to the story?” questions.

I’ve found that perhaps the root of 90% of the problems in books I read is lack of necessity. Why is this subplot there? Why do we need to hear this information? Why is this character acting this way?

Basically, what purpose is it going to serve your story?

The style could probably be cool…I don’t know. But it’s very different, and would probably be hard to read. Which would turn many readers off. So…what about it will be necessary, and will hook the readers into thinking, “Oh. That makes sense.” Right from the get-go?

Big questions yo.

Shaina
                  @jenali

Hmmmm, very true. I think it would be hard to get readers used to it. I doubt it would be necessary in a story. There are many other ways to tell a story that are just as interesting. But I would still like to try from a purely literary ‘what if’ stand point. I am completely sure that it would never get published. 🙂
                    Anyway, thanks for the suggestions!

The Scattered Writer

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >