Introduction

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Introduction

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Typewriter77
    @typewriter77
      • Total Posts: 14

Hi! Typewriter77 here! You can call me Seth, though. I write in the usual genres of fiction: fantasy, contemporary, thriller, fairy tale, superhero, etc. I’d also like to experiment with other, less used, genres, including atompunk, mecha, and Wuxia.

Alexa Autorski
      @writerlexi1216
        • Total Posts: 1011

@typewriter77

Hi there! Welcome to the Kingdom of Pen! My name is Alexa, though everyone calls me Lexi, and I’m glad to be the very first to welcome you to our little community! Would you care for some coffee? Here you are. *gives coffee mug* Wow, those are some interesting genres to write in (they sound really fun)! Do you have a favorite genre to write in? I like to write fantasy and romance myself. So, a couple of questions for you, if you don’t mind!

1. How long have you been writing?

2. What’s your favorite book?

3. Who is your favorite fictional character?

4. Favorite author?

Okay, more than a couple of questions, but either way, it’s an honor to get to know you!:) You should check out the ‘WIP Chat’ and tell us a bit more about your works if you’d like! See ya around! 🙂

Linyang Zhang
        @devastate-lasting
          • Total Posts: 1700

@typewriter77 Hi Seth! Nice to meet you! I’m Linyang, though most here call me Lin. I also write fantasy and contemporary, as well as crime and now occasionally some dystopian and maybe eastern fantasy. I haven’t met anyone who’s written Wuxia before! I do love reading some of them. Might I ask if you’re an anime fan? You seem like the type.

Do you have a current work in progress? If so, what is it about?

What are some of your favorite books and movies? What do you like about them?

Do you have any hobbies besides writing?

And finally, does pineapple belong on pizza?

Lovely to meet you! I hope to see you around soon!

Lately, it's been on my brain
          Would you mind letting me know
          If hours don't turn into days

Anonymous
            • Total Posts: 1379

@typewriter77

Hi, Seth! Welcome to the Kingdom! You can call me JC. 🙂

Jodi Maile
            @jodi-maile
              • Total Posts: 138

@typewriter77

Hello Seth! Welcome to KP. My name is Jodi and I like writing fantasy too! I also write historical and dystopian fiction.

If you could go to any place in any story you’ve ever liked, what place would you go to and why?

Welcome again and I hope to see you around the forums! 🙂

E. K. Seaver
              @e-k-seaver
                • Total Posts: 344

@typewriter77
                Eyyy what’s up?

I’m Em.

The pen is mightier than the sword, but in a duel, I'm taking the sword.
                ekseaver.wordpress.com

Typewriter77
                @typewriter77

Hey everyone! Apologies for how long the reply took.

=====================================================================

@writerlexi1216

Hey Lexi! Nice to meet you!

My favorite genre to write in is fantasy.

I’ve been making stories from an early age, and trying to write a novel since 2015.

My favorite novels are often parts of series, so I don’t re-read them often. One of my favorite series is the Wormling series by Chris Fabry. I couldn’t put the books down until I got to the end.

My favorite fictional character is Sherlock Holmes. I like how he seems to always have it together and the way he solves mysteries by careful observation. He has his flaws, his drug addiction being the most obvious; and because he is so formidable, he can also be categorized as an overpowered character, which is probably why his friend, Watson, is the narrator and arguably the protagonist.

A favorite author is Jerry B. Jenkins. He has this way of keeping the reader in suspense and carrying them from one worst case scenario to the next. I’ve been learning a lot from analyzing his style and reading his blog.

WIP Chat? Sure! I’ll take a look! Thank you!

And thanks for the coffee by the way! See you around!

@devastate-lasting

Hi Lin! Nice to meet you too!

I don’t write Wuxia (yet). It’s on a list of genres I’d like to try one day.

And no, I’m not an anime fan. 🙂 Though, I’d like to see how it’d be in written form. Would it be possible to write an anime-styled novel? Spiky hair, exaggerated expressions, etc?

I have two pet projects. My first is the classic Christian fantasy based on spiritual warfare. I’m hoping to evolve it into something more original. It’s already made significant transformation from what I had four years ago. My other is a comedy/thriller series about a superhero/detective (Green Hornet + Sherlock Holmes). For now, I’m practicing with short stories first to build my skills in order to give my projects the level I want them to have. I’m a bit of a worrywart perfectionist (a reason this reply took so long). Another writer recommends beginning with short stories as a great way to weed out “half a million clichés”–and as of now, I’m a cliché-powered story spigot.

I like Jennifer Nielsen’s Ascendance series. You can always count on a surprise, usually from the protagonist. I also like the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie. Aside from the action and the humor, I think it’s the soundtrack that sets it apart from other movies. It flows with the characters and the action of every scene, making it feel more dramatic for the viewers. The first movie sticks out because it’s the first time we meet the characters, and it’s also a stand-alone in the series. Another favorite movie is Spider-Man (2002) with its plot, its action, and its theme of responsibility central to the character. It also has the most comic-accurate characters. All together, these factors make it the best live-action Spider-Man movie (in my opinion).

Besides writing, I’m also interested in digital arts and LEGO animation.

Does pineapple belong on pizza? Absolutely! XD

Eastern fantasy is another genre I’m thinking of trying. I’m trying to see what options there are besides the traditional European medieval settings. If I were to try Eastern fantasy, what would you recommend?

@joy-caroline

Hi JC! Nice to meet you!

@jodi-maile

Hey Jodi! Thank you!

I think I’d go to Redwall Abbey from Brian Jacques’ series and get my hands on their recipes.

@e-k-seaver

Hey Em! Doing good!

Linyang Zhang
                  @devastate-lasting
                    • Total Posts: 1700

@typewriter77 Hmm…I would say it is possible, since a lot of anime and manga are based off of Japanese light novels.

Both of those projects sound awesome! I’d love to hear more about them in the future!

I think I’ve read the first book of the Ascendance series. It was pretty good. And I’ve yet to watch either of those movies, but I should put them on my to-watch list.

Both digital art and LEGO animation sound really cool! I used to watch a lot of videos of them on Youtube.

Eyy, pineapple on pizza gang! *high fives*

A lot of eastern fantasy revolves around old Chinese mythology, and works like Journey to the West exemplify a lot of them. I would recommend some of the newer movies that came out, like Monkey King: Hero is Back (2015) and Ne Zha (2019) as both are retellings of some stories I loved as a child.

Lately, it's been on my brain
                    Would you mind letting me know
                    If hours don't turn into days

Abigail.M.
                    @abigail-m
                      • Total Posts: 1242

@typewriter77

Okay, I’m a little late welcoming you here, but, anyway, Welcome to Kingdom Pen! I’m Abigail by the way and it appears everyone has taken all the good questions, except for the two that I ask everyone, what is your favorite setting to write in? And what is your favorite character type? Not fully astounding questions, but I’m always oddly curious about that from new KeePers.

I often write fiction, fantasy, poetry, adventure, historical fiction (not Victorian though. It’s the type that goes back to the days of Vikings and ancient lands and of that sort), and occasionally contemporary. All of your genres sound amazing, and it’s super interesting how you write superheroes too (something I’ve always wanted to try, but am currently caught pretty deep in two novels presently).
                      Coming around to the subject of novels, your novel that you said was a ‘Christian fantasy based on spiritual warfare’ sounds like nothing short of incredible and sounds like something I’d enjoy reading! Who is the MC? You don’t have to answer, just curious:)

XD I guess that makes two of us, because I’m a worrywart perfectionist too for the most part, (probably one of the reasons why I’ve been working on my main novel for going on four years now). What do you like to write short stories about? Specific genre you like using in them? Sorry for all the questions, but questions are almost second nature when it comes to me writing anything, but I like answering them as well as asking.

That’s also super cool how you made those observations on movies in a writer’s approach, (a very amateur animator/digital artist/illustrator here), and so it’s always awesome to meet others writers interested in digital arts!

Anyway, awesome to meet you, Seth! Welcome to KP!:D

Alexa Autorski
                      @writerlexi1216
                        • Total Posts: 1011

@typewriter77

No no, you weren’t late at all (I can be behind schedule when it comes to replies, so don’t worry about it)!! Oh yes, fantasy is at the top of the list for my favorite genres to read and write, so it sounds like we have some things in common already!:) Wow, that’s so amazing! I’d love to hear more about it if you care to share! 😀 Ooh, I can’t say I’ve ever heard of that book, but I’ll totally put it on my “To-Read” list because it sounds very interesting! I’m always taking note of good book recommendations. 😉

Ah, a fellow Sherlock Holmes fan, eh? Yes, I positively love his character (and how he makes his deductions through observation), though he does have his flaws and that’s what really fleshes out his character. Ah, my sister loves Jerry Jenkins’ writing (unfortunately, I don’t think I’ve read many of his works), so you’ve definitely given me another author to keep in mind the next time I’m at a bookstore.

By the way (my apologies if you’ve answered this), what is your favorite thing to write? Characters, story, theme, worldbuilding, et cetera? You’ll have to excuse my questions, but when I meet somebody new, I love asking them! And yes, of course! It’s where all we KeePers share bits of our stories, so feel free to jump on in. Aww, you’re so welcome! It’s been an honor meeting you, Seth, and yes, I’ll definitely see you around!:) *waves*

Jodi Maile
                        @jodi-maile
                          • Total Posts: 138

@typewriter77 Yay! Another Redwall fan! I’d also love to get my hands on their recipes…

Not-So-Secret Secret Assassin
                          @not-so-secret-secret-assassin
                            • Total Posts: 133

@typewriter77

Greetings, uh… I used to be the only guy on the forum so… uh thank you? I guess?

Correct me if I’m wrong.

art thou a dude?

Flawless and handsome (as ruled by my grandmother.)

Kads
                            @scripter-of-kingdoms
                              • Total Posts: 765

@typewriter77 Hey! What’s up? I’m Grace! (You may be wondering about my profile name.. it’s short for Kadotake, one of my aliases, but my friends here nicknamed me Kads, haha)

First of all, I love the name Seth! 🙂

Second of all, a few questions for you, and then I’ll say a bit about myself in case you’re interested. XD

1. Is an avocado a fruit?

2. If your previous answer was yes, then is guacamole a smoothie?

3. How long have you been writing for?

4. What is your fave TV show?

5. What’s one country you dream of visiting someday?

Now, a couple facts about myself. (lol not trying to be selfish, i just like extending my personality to others.

wait. is that being selfish?)

I currently have *counts on fingers* about nine WIPs on the go, although I’m trying to finish my first novel this month. (Most of the other books are unwritten, currently.) I have 7 high/epic fantasy books currently planned, all to be in the same series, and I also have two Eastern fantasies I’m going to write (one is a dystopian novel set in Shanghai, and the other a crime novel set in Tokyo) under a different pen name, but they aren’t correlated.

As you can probably tell, I’m a weeb (google the word, lol) and a koreaboo (also google this). I have a huuuuuuuuge interest in Eastern culture. XD I’m also obsessed with random aesthetic things (heck, I even slaved over my pen name to make sure it was aesthetic).

Anyways, yeah, enough about me. XD I wanna get to know you!

– Grace/Kads/whatever you wanna call me/just don’t call me late for lunch

staring at the fields
                              if nothing's really real
                              i'll make the winter now my home

Lydia S.
                              @lydia-s
                                • Total Posts: 399

@typewriter77

Oh, dear. I am incredibly late. (*facepalm*) Welcome to the KP forum! I’m Lydia. 😀

Those are awesome genres! I’m currently working on contemporary, historical romance (mainly working on this one), and fantasy, but my main goal is to write Biblical fiction. *glances longingly at the stories stored in my brain *

Here are a couple of questions, if you’d like to answer them…

Uhh… It looks like all my favorite questions have already been asked, so gotta get creative…

1) What would your dream job be?

2) If you could rewrite the ending of one book, which would be?

3) Musicals? Yea or nay?

Once again, welcome to the forum, Seth!

Typewriter77
                                @typewriter77

@devastate-lasting

Ah ok. Thank you!

@abigail-m

Hi Abigail! Nice to meet you!

I don’t think I have a favorite setting. It kind of depends on the story. Though with most of my initial settings, a fireplace ends up in there somewhere. XD

My favorite archetype is the jester.

I’m glad you like my novel idea. I was under the impression that it was pretty generic. (And it probably still is. Who knows? But I’ll fix it.)

I haven’t written that many short stories. The few I’ve done were mostly fairy tales with funny twists like a private eye hired to find Cinderella. Or, the wicked queen going to poison Snow White, but on the way, Snow White switches locations. Those were years ago. My last short story wasn’t all that good–a glorified fight scene really. I’m basically restarting from scratch.

@writerlexi1216

World-building’s my favorite part of the writing process, especially with the fantasy genre. It takes research to get it realistic, and that takes you into all kinds of history, culture, and even careers. I like the level of detail it allows me to add.

@not-so-secret-secret-assassin

Hey Not-So-Secret Secret Assassin!

And yes, thou art conversing with a gentleman.

@scripter-of-kingdoms

Hi Kads. Glad you like my name.

Is an avocado a fruit? Not sure. Isn’t everything that comes from a plant technically a fruit?

According to Webster, a smoothie’s ” a creamy beverage made of fruit blended with juice, milk, or yogurt.” Since it’s a beverage, I guess whether guacamole is a smoothie depends on if you drink it through a straw.

I’ve been writing for quite a while. I got serious about it around 2015.

My favorite show is MacGyver (the 1980’s one. I haven’t seen the latest.) MacGyver’s like a cross between a prankster, a spy, and a handyman. It’s hilarious watching the antagonists get foiled by something he put togther from seemingly unrelated objects.

A country I might want to visit is Italy. I’ve been doing research on it for my novel and it seems like an awesome place to experience for one’s self. I hope my novel does it justice.

It sounds like you have some good stories planned. I look forward to reading them someday.

@lydia-s

Hey Lydia! Thanks for the welcome!

My current dream job is to be a computer programmer while writing on the side.

The only ending I can think of re-writing is C.S. Lewis’ The Last Battle, so Susan would be with the others. But then, that’d totally ruin whatever point Lewis was making with her absence.

Musicals existing? Yea. Existing in my vicinity? Nay…verily. XD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >