Inktober Snippet Series: House of Nelindar

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Short Story Critiques Inktober Snippet Series: House of Nelindar

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Fernweh_Grace
    @fernweh_grace
      • Total Posts: 70

@euodia-vision and @euodia-vision

Here’s three more snippets! I’m definitely not anywhere near caught up to the daily prompt list, but that’s alright. Some snippets need a bit of extra work and there have been some days where I was unable to finish a snippet.

Fernweh_Grace
      @fernweh_grace

@loopylin

Here is the Inktober snippet series I’ve been working on.

Fernweh_Grace
        @fernweh_grace

@hybridlore

I just updated this yesterday. I thought I had tagged you, but apparently I tagged someone else twice.

hybridlore
          @hybridlore
            • Total Posts: 1354

@fernweh_grace

No problem! Thanks!

I really like it! XD The toad… Lol.

There is always light behind the clouds.
            - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

Fernweh_Grace
            @fernweh_grace

@hybridlore

Yeah, the toad one reminds me of my brother. XD

hybridlore
              @hybridlore

@fernweh_grace

XD Yeah, I could see that lol.

Fernweh_Grace
                @fernweh_grace

@hybridlore

The only difference is, my brother would put frogs in his pockets… and they would come out in the wash.

Euodia
                  @euodia-vision
                    • Total Posts: 1306

@fernweh_grace

Argh, my posts are having trouble coming through!

I’ve been trying to say for a while that I’m loving these writing snippets! They’re really good!

I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log had a child

Fernweh_Grace
                    @fernweh_grace

@euodia-vision

Aww, thanks! I’m really enjoying this story. It’s been quite a refreshing change from my major WIP. I think this will end up being a short story or novella.

LoopyLin
                      @loopylin
                        • Total Posts: 2027

@fernweh_grace

Finally finished reading! I’m loving the characters. That last one with the toad was adorable.

Space Princess ✨🪐 intp artist

Fernweh_Grace
                        @fernweh_grace

@loopylin

Thanks! And yeah, maybe someday we need to have a comeback with the toad. (:

hybridlore
                          @hybridlore

@fernweh_grace

Oh my goodness XD

Fernweh_Grace
                            @fernweh_grace

@hybridlore

Yep… it wasn’t the only time we found ‘once-alive-things’ in his pockets. XD Thank goodness he doesn’t do such things anymore. We’re more likely to find nails, screws, or rocks in his pockets now.

Euodia
                              @euodia-vision
                                • Total Posts: 1306

@fernweh_grace

Aww, thanks! I’m really enjoying this story. It’s been quite a refreshing change from my major WIP. I think this will end up being a short story or novella.

I bet!! That’ll be cool!

I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log had a child

Fernweh_Grace
                                @fernweh_grace

Prompt 9: Bounce

William fidgeted lightly in his chair as his eyes wandered through the room full of men. A party had been thrown in honor of Britain’s swift victory over Nelindar, and many of the officers praised the commander for his crucial role in leading his men.

Boisterous laughter bounced off the walls and William squirmed as the commander’s voice rang in their midst. Soon a dozen eyes were fixed on him and he smiled hesitantly at the men’s nods of approval. They were talking about him.

A red-haired soldier sauntered by and ruffled William’s neatly combed hair. “How goes it, laddie, eh? Caught any more toads today, did ya?” William squeaked and his panicked eyes met Marie’s.

“No Sir,” Marie took control of the conversation. “In fact, we have been preoccupying ourselves with the great subjects and arts, and William here has a fine taste in music.”

The man muttered underneath his breath and moved on. William gave Marie a grateful smile that was short-lived. The commander clapped his hands on William’s shoulders and proclaimed, “Hey, lads, how about some grub?”

The men roared in approval and the scraping of chairs echoed across the ceiling. William clenched his fists together and bit his lip. Marie squeezed his clammy hand gently and didn’t recoil at the sweat on his palm. Her fingers were warm and smooth and her reassuring smile loosened the knot in his stomach. William gave her a hesitant, weary smile as the festivities began.

The food was served in several courses and whenever William was convinced it was over, yet another platter arrived. He mimicked Marie as she ate and thus avoided many mistakes as he couldn’t remember which article of silverware was proper to use. He watched the several toasts to Britain’s victory and kept his face impassive. Their victory was paid for by the death of his brothers.

The men called for the commander to retell his story on finding William. So he stood and raised his goblet to the chandeliers and narrated his tale. Alarm flooded William’s chest and he tried hard to correct the words he heard. After a moment he realized it was true, and a heavy stone dropped inside him.

The commander’s story was laced with self-glory and honor. His facts were twisted to portray Britain’s men as the heroes. He skipped over the slaughtering genocide and gloried on his men’s superior fighting. The crowd cheered wildly and he ended his tale with the woe he experienced on finding William, helpless and parentless. The commander spoke in a low, emotional tone of finding William’s mother dead, as she had been caught in the crossfire.

This was William’s greatest offense and he leapt up to deny it, but Marie grabbed his arm and yanked him down. She hissed in his ear and her fingers dug into his arm. “William, don’t you dare! You’ll cause a scene!” Her tone softened, “No one would believe you anyway. Papa has the whole nation swooning over his military’s victories. Hush, we can talk later.”

Wrath burned inside William but he eased himself down and smiled innocently at the looks cast their way. Marie held his arm fast, but her grip loosened and was painless. Ever so slightly he nodded and swallowed the lump in his throat. The party rolled into the hours of the night and they watched together. William’s heart clenched as his mind was filled with dread.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >