I’m writing a book in a different time period……

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters I’m writing a book in a different time period……

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Allison
    @acancello
      • Total Posts: 838

Hi guys! OK, so I’m trying to write a book that takes place in the 1899’s. I’m not 100% sure why I put this in the character chat, but I really wasn’t sure where else to put it 🙂 Anyway, I was wondering if anybody knew anything about that time period? I kind of need to know things like, what they normally ate and what the special meals were. Were there trains in NY in the 1899’s and what was NY like back then? Also what was the style of houses and the decor used in them. Things like that. I know I could just look those questions up, but I spent a super long time last night researching fashion and I got kinda tired of researching, I’m sure you’ve all experienced that too 😀  Thanks!

Anyone who has any questions about time periods in their books, feel free to stick it in here!

Kathleen
      @kathleenramm
        • Total Posts: 635

Interesting question! While I don’t know too much about New York during that time period, I do know that around that time electric power was still in early development and telephones were becoming more common, but were still considered a luxury item.

I did little research about New York (Specifically New York City) in the year 1899 and here’s some interesting facts I found:

– The population of New York City was around 3.4 million people, making it the largest city in the United States and one of the largest in the world at the time.
        – The city was divided into five boroughs (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, and Staten Island), but they were not yet officially consolidated into the City of New York. This would happen in 1898.
        – The subway system had not yet been built, and public transportation relied primarily on streetcars, elevated trains, and ferries.
        – The skyline was dominated by churches and other religious buildings, as well as by commercial and industrial structures such as factories, warehouses, and department stores.
        – Crime and poverty were significant problems, with gang violence and political corruption among the most pressing issues facing the city.
        – The arts were flourishing, with a vibrant theater scene and a growing community of writers and artists.
        – The turn of the century brought significant changes to New York City and the world, including the rise of the progressive movement, the beginning of the women’s suffrage movement, and the emergence of new technologies and industries that would transform daily life.                                                                                                                                                 – Apparently oysters, lobsters and deli sandwiches were popular.

Anyways, those are just some random things I found on the internet. Maybe some it will be useful. 😅

Allison
        @acancello
          • Total Posts: 838

@kathleenramm

Wow! Thank you so much! That helps at lot! I did not even know any of those facts and they will help a lot in my book! Thanks again!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        >