I’M MAKING A WEBSITE!!! YAY!

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions I’M MAKING A WEBSITE!!! YAY!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    GodlyFantasy12
    @godlyfantasy12
      • Total Posts: 6645

@gracie-j, @devastate-lasting, @keilah-h, @writerlexi1216, @nanisnook, @issawriter7, @mkfairygirl, @abigail-m, @jenwriter17, @lydia-s, @when-i-see-the-kingdom, @ilena-louise, @daisy-torres, @jodi-maile, @lucy, @scripter-of-kingdoms, @seekjustice, @lewilliams, @e-k-seaver, @kathleenramm, @g_c_al, @millennium, @wyn-rose, @kayleigh-idea, @not-so-secret-secret-assassin, @elfwing, @relia, @molly

EEEEEEEEKKKK! As you can see from the title above, I am currently building myself a website!! AHHHH!! So excited, but I’m also totally new at this!!!

I’ve got my about page, my blog page (with no posts as of yet), my works page (about my books and such) and the homepage.

So, I’ve made this to ask, is there anything I’m missing? What can y’all think of for me to add? I want it to be good before I put the site fully up. I saw that Gracie has a FAQ portion, and I’m wondering if I should do that!

If so, are there any questions about me, my books, etc that y’all would like me to answer? Plz let me know!!

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
      #ProtectMarcel
      #ProtectSeb

RainyEmily
      @millennium
        • Total Posts: 59

Some bloggers like a contact page. If you’re using WordPress, sidebars add a really nice touch! I’m so excited for you! Congrats on starting your website!

A wolf is a wolf,
        even in a cage,
        even dressed in silk.

Gracie J.
        @gracie-j
          • Total Posts: 1789

@godlyfantasy12 YIPPEE! I am SO excited for you!! Website’s are such fun!!! Who’s your website host?

So, an FAQ page is really cool (of course I would say that!)…unfortunately, I can’t think of any questions for you off the top of my head. Some things I would suggest adding, though, are:

• Subscription form (unless you’re using WordPress…I think that’s built in or something)
          • Contact form/page
          • Newsletter! Email lists are always fun, and having a website provides you with a landing page or place to include forms, popups, etc.! Most site hosts (like Wix, which I use) have their own newsletter sending capabilities…or you can use something like Send in Blue or MailChimp!

Don’t forget to include an RSS feed button, your social links, privacy policy, and cookie banner! Those are the boring things, I know, but necessary! 😉

Have fun designing your site!!! I can’t wait to see it when it’s live!

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Gracie J.
          @gracie-j
            • Total Posts: 1789

@godlyfantasy12 OH! And if you have any questions for designing/building or blogging at all, feel free to ask! I’d love to help!

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Kayleigh Idea
            @kayleigh-idea
              • Total Posts: 67

I second what @millenium said. Also, I don’t know if you’re doing this already, but if not you should think about setting a mailing list and having a sign up that’s easy for your website visitors to see. It probably doesn’t need its own page (unless you want it to have one) but make sure it’s at least on your Home page. 😄

GodlyFantasy12
              @godlyfantasy12

Thx everyone!

the reason i have not done a contact page, social media or mailing list/subscription is because I’m not entirely sure if I’m ready for that if that makes sense. I’ll probably save those for last and get with my parents and go over the last details before launching

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                #ProtectMarcel
                #ProtectSeb

Anonymous
                  • Total Posts: 1379

@godlyfantasy12

*screams* YAYYYY!!!! I can’t wait to follow your website!

If you don’t mind a couple tips, I’ll give ya a little somethin’. 🙂

– You don’t need a mailing list. I mean, they’re cool but not necessary right now or if you don’t want one. Just a subscription form works awesome! I recommend inserting an email subscription form. Just to clear up something about WordPress if you’re using that host, it does have a built-in subscription button but that only works for those with a WordPress account, and not every visitor has a WordPress account. And about social media, Instagram accounts are super fun and easy to create, but it’s totally fine if you don’t want an account right now! 🙂

– It sounds like you have all the pages you need except a Contact form page! I definitely recommend that you put one in.

– When writing blog posts, let your personality shine through! The best part of blogging is making connections with lots of people, and being genuine is the best way to make true connections. You’re an awesome person and that’s why people will love your blog!!!!

I am SO excited for you!!!! And if you need any tips or help with designing or anything else, def give me a holler! I think designing themes and stuff is just so much fun, so I’d be happy to help you wih your site’s appearance if you ever needed.

Can’t wait for your site to launch!

Daisy Torres
                  @daisy-torres
                    • Total Posts: 691

@godlyfantasy12 EEK how awesomee!!! Congratss!! Send me a link when you finish and I’ll go check it out!!

I find that having sections for my writing on there (poetry, short stories, samples of my books, etc) can be really cool/good for business!

If I think of anything else I’ll let you know! Good luckkk!!

"It's easy to be caught up in stardust and whispers when reality is so dark and loud."

imwritehere1920
                    @imwritehere1920
                      • Total Posts: 92

@godlyfantasy12

Eek!  That’s so exciting!  Congrats on starting your own website!  Tell us all when it goes live so we can follow you!

As for suggestions, I think everyone pretty much covered it all!  Good luck!  *throws confetti and streamers*  🙂

Dream. Write. Inspire.

https://thepencilsisters.com

Jenna Terese
                      @jenwriter17
                        • Total Posts: 2522

@godlyfantasy12
                        That’s so exciting! 😀 I think a home page, blog page, contact page, and a page for your WIPs is sufficient. That’s so awesome that you’re creating a website!

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                        www.jennaterese.com

Issabelle Perry
                        @issawriter7
                          • Total Posts: 976

@godlyfantasy12

*GASP* EEEEEE!!! I am sooo excited to hear you’re making a website!!! Lemme know when it releases so I can check it out!!! It seems everyone else has already given you lotsa great tips, but don’t worry about not having that contact page thing. Hardly anyone ever uses it on TWN. And I see some people who are mentioning things about social media links, and I know a lot about the feeling that you need to get one, so I just wanna say, I don’t have any of that stuff and it has never affected me, so don’t let anyone talk you into it.

As for a FAQ page, that’s a page I do see a lot of authors have to help eliminate them getting asked the same questions over and over again. If/when I get something of mine published, I have considered adding it to my secondary blog’s site. So if you’d like me to ask some questions, what are you wanting them to be about? Writing, your works, etc.?

God gives His hardest battles to His strongest soldiers.
                          TeenWritersNook.com

Linyang Zhang
                          @devastate-lasting
                            • Total Posts: 1700

@godlyfantasy12 How exciting! I think everyone here has given you better advice than I could have, haha. Wishing you the best of luck with it!

Lately, it's been on my brain
                            Would you mind letting me know
                            If hours don't turn into days

GodlyFantasy12
                            @godlyfantasy12

@issawriter7 Hey girl! So, on TWN I saw that ur WIP has a word count progress meter Under the cover pic. How did u get that? Was it a plug-in and if so where did u get it from

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                              #ProtectMarcel
                              #ProtectSeb

Issabelle Perry
                              @issawriter7
                                • Total Posts: 976

@godlyfantasy12

Heya!!!! Ooo, yeah, so that was a plug-in I found. The site I’m using is a wordpress.org site and not a .com (I don’t know if things change for different platforms… yes there is a difference. 😉 ) but I had heard about this free plug-in that you can install and activate on your WordPress site. What I did was go under the section called “plugins” in the wordpress’s site’s dashboard and then there was this search bar. I searched “Author WIP Progress Bar.” And then it came up. I hit install and then I hit activate and then when I went under customized it showed up under widgets. Did that help or was my explanation confusing?

God gives His hardest battles to His strongest soldiers.
                                TeenWritersNook.com

GodlyFantasy12
                                @godlyfantasy12

@issawriter7

Awesome!!!! I’m going to be using WordPress so yay!! I really wanted a progress meter

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                                  #ProtectMarcel
                                  #ProtectSeb

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >