I’m making a comeback babyyyy

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions I’m making a comeback babyyyy

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen
    @kathleenramm
      • Total Posts: 635

Wassup guys, I haven’t been active on the forum in a minute, but I’m back and writing a new novel!

Starting afresh, and writing my magnum opus. 😤

Since I’m in the brainstorming phase of the novel writing process,  I thought it would be fun to see if the beautiful folk of the KP forum have any suggestions for what I should include with this upcoming novel.

Revenge? Dark secrets of hidden heritage? Portal to an alternate universe in the kitchen of a run-down waffle shop? John Cena cameo?

Let me know the geniusness of your brains.

Felicity
      @felicity
        • Total Posts: 811

@kathleenramm

I just want to say thank you to the KP staff/team for making this forum possible. I spent so many hours on the internet looking at resources for writers and was disappointed (and outraged) again and again by all the evil that was being promoted (sometimes blatantly, sometimes undercover). I just wanted a safe, Christian space to connect with other writers and learn more about this amazing craft! Thanks KP!

Hello Kathleen! 😀

A new novel….a fresh start…how exciting!

Have you picked a genre yet?

He must increase, but I must decrease.

MineralizedWritings
        @mineralizedwritings
          • Total Posts: 2803

@kathleenramm

Oh! So happy to see you back!

A new novel…

I love to make suggestions, could you tell us the general idea you have already, if you have one?

Is it fantasy? Modern life? I mean I really have a thing for dystopian type writing (my one and only WIP is) so that’s what my mind immediately jumps too. There’s just so many possibilities to how your world became messed up, and how you (if you do, I suggest it) choose to fix it, or help your characters understand the hardship. So yeah! That’s my totally unbiased recommendation if you have not picked a genre.

(Really unbiased. Trust me.)

I have no idea what that pic is, but I really hope nobody tries to cut a pancake on my head. That sounds like some weird 3 am nightmare 😖

へびは かっこいい です!

Elizabeth
          @lewilliams
            • Total Posts: 252

@kathleenramm

Kathleen!!! Welcome back friend!! I hope you’re doing well <3

Oooooh a new novel!! Always so exciting. How is drafting going so far?

As far as suggestions go: I’ll take one of your ideas a step further by proposing (aka daring) you to set the entire thing in a particularly decrepit Waffle House. (Just kidding. But for real, how fun would it be to have a fantasy/sci-fi/paranormal novel set in a Waffle House? Or the Pancake Home, as it might be called when one steps through the portal hidden under the griddle.)

Anyway, forgive my ramblings—good to see you around again! And Merry Christmas!!!!!

“Seven seconds till the end. Time enough for you. Perhaps. But what will you do with it?”

Esther
            @esther-c
              • Total Posts: 3221

@kathleenramm

Hi, Kathleen!! 😄

(btw, I love your name! It’s so pretty!!)

Oooooh! Drafting! And ideas!

Let’s see here *rubs hands together*

• Major plot twist. Like a MAJOR plot twist. Like, super-sweet-friend-is-actually-the-villain plot twist. Or like, there’s-a-portal-in-the-dog-cage-so-that’s-why-the-dog-was-quiet-when-the-house-was-broken-into plot twist. (Maybe the latter wasn’t really a plot twist, but more of a plot idea.)
              • Talking animals. Idk why, that just sounds kind of epic. XD
              • Something with dragons. And revenge. And sword fights. I’ve always wanted to write a novel with cool medieval stuff like that! 😁
              • Is Grandma hiding a secret??

So that’s what I have for now. I’ll probably have more to add later. 😉 What genre do you want it to be in?

Good luck!! (I hope at least some of the random stuff above prompted any ideas at all XD)

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Erica
              @starofthenorth
                • Total Posts: 199

@kathleenramm

Hey there!

So . . . I don’t really have any ideas  . . . too busy trying to come up with ideas for my own book . . .

But if I think of any I’ll hop on and tell you!

Dark is the Shadow, and yet my heart rejoices.

Kathleen
                @kathleenramm
                  • Total Posts: 635

@felicity
                  Aw, I’m so happy that KP helped give you what you were looking for! It’s awesome to have you as a part of the community. 🙂

As for the genre, I’m thinking more slice-of-life modern-day with some fantasy, mystery, and maybe even a bit of paranormal/horror elements added in the mix as well.

I want it to feel both grounded and heartfelt as well as whimsical and mind-bending. How I’m going to fit those two often separate descriptions together I’m still working out…

Any ideas or tips would be welcome.😅

@mineralizedwritings

Glad to be back!

The genre, as I described above, will be like a modern-day soft fantasy. Probably mostly going to be slice-of-life but infused with mystery and paranormal elements.

But who knows, with how my project is still just a wee baby at this point (literally started it yesterday lol) it could end up dabbling into some dystopian territory.

Dystopian do be prettyyy cool. Like how you described it, seeing characters struggle and overcome a broken world can be really fascinating and inspiring. Do you have a favorite dystopian novel or movie?

I have no idea what that pic is, but I really hope nobody tries to cut a pancake on my head. That sounds like some weird 3 am nightmare 😖

Nightmare? Sounds more like a dream come true to me. A “see you in your children’s textbooks because I’m making history” moment if you will.

But in all seriousness, I’ve got a bunch of random photos like this saved on my laptop. Don’t ask me why because I don’t know. 😐

@lewilliams

I’m doing well! I hope you are doing well as well! Thanks for the welcome!

Considering I just started it yesterday, it’s going pretty alright! I’m really looking forward to reaching new heights and covering new ground with this novel.

I brought up the waffle shop as a joke, but now I’m kind of getting fond of the idea. Getting some cool storylines and character moments coming through with the thought of a run-down waffle shop atmosphere. I may just have to explore this route more!

Started new stories are so much fun as the sky is the limit. 😄

How has your writing been going? And Merry Christmas to you too!

@esther-c

Hello Esther! And thank you!

Did I hear plot twist? Now, this is a must. I love me a good plot twist and I can’t believe I didn’t think of it before you mentioned it. Plus I think it will fit well with the little story I have pieced together two days in. I’ll definitely keep it in mind while I’m drafting, as I’ve heard the best plot twists are the ones that the author doesn’t even see coming until they get to a part of the story and an amazing idea comes from the heavens and shifts the whole story on its axis.

Would love to write a plot twist like that.

Ooo, talking animals. I’ve never written a story with a talking animal, but it may very well fit into this one…

The story is going to take place in the modern day, but your mentioning dragons and medieval fantasy ideas got me thinking about ways I could meld the two together… it may not be that far fetch now thinking about it.

Not Grandma! The beloved and trusted keeping a secret? Well come to think of it they always have those mysterious attics, old photo albums, and recipe books. There definitely could be something there…

But, yo, thanks for all the great ideas! Your brain is indeed genius. 😌

MineralizedWritings
                  @mineralizedwritings
                    • Total Posts: 2803

@kathleenramm

Oh…. favorite dystopian, well I haven’t read that many. I’ve read city of ember, it was major inspiration for my story. That might have been the first time I felt “Hooked” while reading. I mean the hardy boys got me hooked, but not inspired. It just felt alive. Sadly I didn’t like the sequels, but I felt it was a really good example of what not to do. I’m a fairly sensitive reader, so I don’t seek out dystopian. But I love writing it and thinking up the possibilities!  Do you have a favorite?

Lol, well idk what the pic is supposed to be, but it’s funny anyways.

I really like slice of life! This seems like a really fun book…

Some random ideas in no particular order:

I think it would be really cool to have a water fountain as a major location. So then the characters can be all sneaky like, “See you at the fountain after sundown” 😂

Hey, maybe they have to dive in because theirs something in the fountain? (a portal 😲? Okay maybe a bit too fantasy lol. But it would be cool if the portal goes a different place depending on who goes in? Ok I could come up with all kinds of stuff for that lol)

Maybe it has a statue on top that is important historically?

If you want some mystery, maybe the form/representation that the statue on the  fountain is the clue they’ve been looking for all along?

Do you have any themes in mind so far?

へびは かっこいい です!

Felicity
                    @felicity
                      • Total Posts: 811

@kathleenramm

Love your selected genres. Sounds like just about anything could happen in it so…

Working off @mineralizedwritings genius idea, how about the fountain isn’t a water fountain, but an odorless, clear poison fountain? (there’s your horror element).

If you wanted to do talking animals and the waffle house, you could write it from the restaurant’s rat population’s POV.

Have you ever written comedy? I haven’t, but I think it would be really fun. 😀

He must increase, but I must decrease.

Esther
                      @esther-c

@kathleenramm

But, yo, thanks for all the great ideas! Your brain is indeed genius. 😌

Lol

Thx. I try… 😁XD

Really interesting genre idea!!

Anonymous
                          • Total Posts: 692

@Kathleenramm

I think you could do it. At least fantasy and slice of life. I mean take a look at C. S. Lewis.

Ideas:

• The owners of the restaurant know about the portal and creepy things are in there so they decide to sell it because they are too creeped out about the portal. They don’t tell the next owners (who have kids) and unbeknownst to them, their kids open the portal and creepy gremlin-like things are unleashed from that world. They spend the rest of the book trying to figure out how to destroy them while having to stay and work together.
                          • Maybe also the family is estranged so the unleashing brings the family together and they work out their differences.

Just some thoughts. I figured out how to put horror and slice of life together. Lol. I doubt I would read it because I really don’t like horror but I just thought I’d throw some ideas out there. Lol

Esther
                          @esther-c

@kathleenramm

Hey!!

Just wondering how your story/story idea is coming along. Do you have a clear idea of what you wanna do? Have you started writing anything yet?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          >