Ideas for a New Idea

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Idea Critiques Ideas for a New Idea

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rolena Hatfield
    @rolena-hatfield
      • Total Posts: 405

Hey guys!

I’ve been wanting to write a book dealing with Christian persecution. I’m not thinking of tackling a fictional story on our current situations of Christian persecution, I can see some potential risks with that, but it’s something I’ve really had on my heart lately.
      So my idea has grown into a futuristic story (not sci-fi though) that follows the son of a underground church pastor during and after his parents are put into custody by a united officer force.
      I have a lot of the plot details laid out, but here’s where I’d love some thoughts. In a world were the Christian faith is banned and punished if found out, what kind of lifestyle do you envision? (the story is set in a future America sort of environment.) (lifestyle: such as we can listen to Christian music as we please, in this world that would be banned. Bibles would have to be hidden, Decor in your home couldn’t have verses ect.)
      I’ve been thinking of more things this past week that I take for granted, if our faith were banned, I wouldn’t being able to do all the things I do so freely.
      Any other thoughts on this idea are welcome!

https://rolenahatfield.com/

Emma Flournoy
      @emma-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 1352

@Rolena-Hatfield Well, there could be no singing Christian songs; no songs with mention of God; maybe all documents with God mentioned banned even if they weren’t particularly Christian works (things like the Constitution, maybe?)…
        That all seems a little basic. 😛 I can’t really think what else would happen other than the banning of all references to God or heaven or any such thing, and punishment for the disregard of those bans.
        If there would be no mention of God whatsoever though, that would mean tons of books illegal, not only Christian books—just things like all the classics that take God/Providence for granted and talk of it all the time. That would be tons of books.

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 3976

@Rolena-Hatfield probably also in places where people of faith were suspected to be in high numbers gatherings over three or four could be prohibited. It’s possible too if you were suspected to be a Christian they could limit the number of ‘outreach’ devices or opportunities you were allowed to have. Basically try to isolate you, in a non-violent sort of way.

Rolena Hatfield
          @rolena-hatfield

@emma-flournoy @kate-flournoy
            Yes! Great thoughts! Ah how different our world would be (will be). Just think how many Christian websites would be flagged or blocked. Or how I wouldn’t really even use the internet for much anymore since they could probably track everything I say or whatever sites I visit. *shivers* basically like Kate said, isolation.
            Yikes Emma, we certainly would lose a lot of books! Thanks for inspiring more thoughts gals!

Emma Flournoy
            @emma-flournoy
              • Total Posts: 1352

@Rolena-Hatfield A pleasure, to be sure. 🙂

Snapper
              @dragon-snapper
                • Total Posts: 3515

@rolena-hatfield Not to mention that families would be separated. Some families are part Christian part not. And what would this mean for other religions? The Catholics and some other religions use the bible, if not in the way us as Christians do. Would there still be Muslim faith and other religions such as that? And some people claim to be Christian when they are not. Would be anyone who knows anything about the Bible?

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Hope Ann
                @hope
                  • Total Posts: 1092

@Rolena-Hatfield The government would probably try to take children away from Christian parents, claiming they aren’t able to raise them themselves. At the very least, they’d probably make kids go to public school, where they’d be pressured to give up religion.

Drawing from history, there are governments who forbid teaching about Christianity to children. And there were governments which basically copied everything the church did, such as marriage, baptism, etc. and offered it all free of charge to get people to come to them instead of the church.

I’m writing a book that deals which persecuted Christians to some degree. It is quite fun to work through.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Rolena Hatfield
                  @rolena-hatfield

@dragon-snapper Good point! For this book I am planning on separating families 🙁 It’s a huge reality of what is happening in some places of the world today. Hmmmm… I believe that if the people that banned Christians were an organized religious group they would probably ban any of the other religions as well. Again like we see today, it’s our religion and nothing else. So yes any Bibles from anyone who would read it would be banned. (In my story that’s what I’m envisioning)

@hope
                    Yes! I decided to start my story with Christian’s being banned, but the force that has decreed it has stayed fairly docile until this point. So my character’s children were forced to go to public school (their great-grandmother’s generation was the last to be able to legally homeschool) But for a couple of my characters, their parents have still been teaching them of God and His commands at home so that they know truth and have chosen to follow it. Other characters haven’t chosen that yet, even though they’ve grown up in the underground church. Thank you for some good thoughts to chew on!
                    Cool that you’re writing on the matter as well! It’s interesting to say the least! Please share if you come across more thoughts as you write your story!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >