I need serious help

Home Page Forums Other Art Forms Non-Fiction I need serious help

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    EpicAddie2
    @epicaddie2
      • Total Posts: 794

This year all the eighth graders at my school are doing a history fair. We have to create a whole display board, prepare a 2-3 minute talk, AND write a 2500 word paper.

The problem is, the paper is due TODAY, and I only have 700 words.

The good news is that since I’m part-time homeschooled (I go to school on Monday and Friday, and both of those are half days), it’s okay if the paper is a day or two late. I don’t have to turn the paper in until after Thanksgiving break (I think?). But I don’t want to be a week late on finishing this paper, since I have to put the day that I finished writing it on the paper.

In my defense, my school only gave me three days to write the paper.

Now that I’m trying to explain this, I realize that my school is rather confusing.

Anyway, do you guys have any tips on finishing a very long paper VERY quickly?

@shannon @emily @ingridrd @daughteroftheking @that_writer_girl_99 @dragon-snapper @catwing @anyone else

INFJ ~ 4w5
      aldarley.wordpress.com

EpicAddie2
      @epicaddie2

I take that back. I only have 400 words.

INFJ ~ 4w5
        aldarley.wordpress.com

NC Stokes
        @daughteroftheking
          • Total Posts: 1156

@epicaddie2 Oh dear. That sounds stressful. *Super Obvious Woman strikes again!* I have been in similar situations, and something that helped me is to limit all distractions. This is probably super obvious. But, I’ve found that if I can get myself to focus as completely as possible on my paper, it helps. I turn of the lights and close the blinds, but not everyone is that strange.

Also, if you can break up your paper into “chunks,” that is helpful. You can do it by paragraphs or topics or word count or something like that. If I just stare at the paper and think, “Oh boy. Only 2000 words to go. *sigh*” than I get totally discouraged and soon my family is wondering where the forehead-shaped dents in the wall came from. But, if you can separate it into smaller chunks, and say your goal is to finish the next chunk, it’s less overwhelming.

Getting some accountability helps, too. The Writer’s Corner is awesome. But, also just telling a family member that you are going to try to write 200 words in the next half hour or so would work. Tell them to ask you later if you got to your goal. I find that being able to yell “YES!!!” at the top of my lungs is good motivation. 🙂

So there you are. Hope that is helpful!

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Elizabeth
          @that_writer_girl_99
            • Total Posts: 1819

Honestly? I’ve been in this situation before. It doesn’t get any easier and college (gasp!) just makes things worse.

My advice would be to limit your distractions and also to make an outline if you haven’t already. Write down what you know you want to include and focus on bridging the gap between those points. That helps you set and accomplish goals that will, in the long run, help you finish the paper.

hope this helps and good luck!

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Snapper
            @dragon-snapper
              • Total Posts: 3515

@epicaddie2 Yikes! That’s scary!

My advice is to not be a perfectionist at the moment. Just write. Time yourself even. Turn off all the internet (unless you use google docs). Do a word war with someone. You can edit everything later on. Just write.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Ingrid
              @ingridrd
                • Total Posts: 830

@epicaddie2  My advice?  Write!  And don’t worry about everything being perfect just yet.  Write as much as you can, take a break/get some fresh air, then come back and write some more.  That usually works for me. 😉

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

EpicAddie2
                @epicaddie2

@daughteroftheking *immediately closes all the blinds and turns off all the lights*

@that_writer_girl_99
                  Good idea! *glances at food* Does this have to count as a distraction? Because it kinda is… but it’s food. And food is amazing. Me love me food.

@dragon-snapper
                  Yeah, I try to ignore all of my mistakes as I write and just continuously tell myself that it’s the rough draft and I can fix everything after, but being a perfectionist is never easy. I suppose I have to try even harder.

Well, word war anyone?

Also, random question, am I the only one who, when home alone, only speaks in a British accent?

INFJ ~ 4w5
                  aldarley.wordpress.com

EpicAddie2
                  @epicaddie2

@ingridrd Good idea! I read that people are most productive when they work for 90 minutes, then take a 20 minute break, and repeat that until they’re done with whatever they’re working on. I think I’ll try that today 😉

INFJ ~ 4w5
                    aldarley.wordpress.com

Anonymous
                      • Total Posts: 859

@epicaddie2, I’ll just second what everyone else said, putting emphasis on what Elizabeth said, that if you don’t have an outline, make one! I’m usually a panster, but when doing a school report, an outline helps me stay on focus.

EpicAddie2
                      @epicaddie2

@shannon I made an outline, but isn’t very detailed. I guess I should add onto it.

INFJ ~ 4w5
                        aldarley.wordpress.com

Anonymous

@epicaddie2, You should definitely do it. It helps so much!

EpicAddie2
                          @epicaddie2

@shannon I will! 😉

INFJ ~ 4w5
                            aldarley.wordpress.com

Sam Kowal
                            @sam-kowal
                              • Total Posts: 635

@epicaddie2 it seems like a lot to do, but you can totally do it. If you want to finish it today, you’ve got until midnight (if you wanna work for that long)

So, you need to write 2100 words in about 10 hours, or 210 words an hour (you can probably do a lot more)

My advice would be to, like @shannon and @that_writer_girl99 said, make an outline for yourself. then give yourself a set amount of words per hour you need to write and try to reach the goal every hour. That way you know if you’re going fast enough.

Also, study for a set amount of time, and then take a short break. Physical exercise actually helps your brain function more quickly, so get your heart pumping if you take a break. Also, staying hydrated helps your brain function (its, like, 85% water) so drink lots. (Not sure if this is a little TOO in depth)

Get rid of all your distractions, and do whatever strengthens your concentration best (maybe play a little background music softly or something)

And when you’re done, reward yourself. Scream at the top of your lungs and get a new dragon, or something.

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
                              Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

Anonymous

@epicaddie2, I second Sam. Getting a new dragon is always a great way to celebrate 😉 🐉

EpicAddie2
                                @epicaddie2

@sam-kowal 210 words an hour doesn’t sound too bad, except for the fact that I’d be up till midnight 😉 As long as I get it done, though.

That’s definitely not too in depth. Not for me, at least. I like science, so it’s all good! I never knew that physical exercise helps your brain function, although that kinda makes sense. It makes your blood flow more quickly, and so there’s more… well, never mind. I don’t want to get into a whole scientific explanation.

*goes off to write*

INFJ ~ 4w5
                                  aldarley.wordpress.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >