I finally read Green Ember!!

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions I finally read Green Ember!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Keilah H.
    @keilah-h
      • Total Posts: 3875

I finally started reading the Green Ember series and I love it! It’s so cool how the writer did the whole story with wolves and eagles (rabbit predators) as villains and rabbits as heroes. And the lore behind it and backstory–all so cool! I’m on the third book right now. What did you think of it? Who’s your favorite character? I honestly love a lot of the names, and might use some in my own stories!

Feel free to tag other people!

@trahia-the-minstrel
      @elanor @writerlexi1216 @kathleenramm @abigail-m @faith-q @not-so-secret-secret-assassin @nova21 @ariel-f @nanisnook @scripter-of-kingdoms @lewilliams @ribbonash @imwritehere1920 @beth-darlene @lydia-s @buildsbygideon @devastate-lasting @relia @iluvhim18 @jodi-maile @daisy-torres @godlyfantasy12 @jenwriter17 @lucy @millennium @kayleigh-idea @seekjustice @e-k-seaver

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Faith Q.
      @faith-q
        • Total Posts: 106

I liked it. Picket was one of my favorites just because of his character arc, but they’re all good. Which was your favorite?

Keilah H.
        @keilah-h

@faith-q Yeah, Picket was cool. And at the end, after he loses his arm and his niece is sentenced to “100 tickles for spreading dandelion seeds all over his garden”…..

Picket: “I’ll try to carry out the sentence, but I have only one arm, and one hand on that arm.”

Heather: “If you had two hands on one arm that’d be weird.”

Picket: “Depends on where it sprouted. I might like it.”

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Elishavet Pidyon
          @elishavet-pidyon
            • Total Posts: 1013

@keilah-h

YAY! I’m so glad you liked it too!

Our family has enjoyed this series immensely. Not only were the books great, but we were guessing things that were very close to the actual outcome. (We got hooked before release of Ember Rising, so there was lots of room for speculation.) You know, The key the heirs hold. XD We read a little too much between the lines, but it was our first real encounter with an unfinished series, so…😑😁

The lore and histories are one of the best parts. As for characters, I love Whitbie, Picket, Heather, Emma, Kylen, Nylen, Massie, Lander, Jo Shanks, the Blackstar twins, and Helmer. As well as, the Weavers, Wilfred, Stretch, Rake and… Okay, I really need to try to narrow that down, but it’s hard.

But yeah, his names are fun. He has a good mix of simple ones like Emma and Rake, and unusual ones like Whitbie, Ramnor, and Bleston. Some of them are so creative, like Kay Jack, Smalden, Garlaxson, Shelt, and Morbin.

I also love how his names change to give the idea of different cultures and/or nations.

(And I might have misspelled a few. Oh, well.)

Picket’s definitely a farmer now. 😉

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Koshka
            @koshka
              • Total Posts: 1424

@keilah-h

*Stormy auplause*

Which was your favorite book? Mine was always the first, but my siblings say that if I actually read (opposed to skimming so fast I miss half the scenes) Ember Falls that’ll change. I doubt it…

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Trahia the Minstrel
              @trahia-the-minstrel
                • Total Posts: 193

@keilah-h

I’ve read the first book, but not the rest. It didn’t quite hook me enough (this may be a side effect of me reading it as an ebook instead of a printed book). It was a charming story, and I liked the female main … I forgot her name. Heather, was it? The one who had the younger brother and they both got chased and nearly eaten at the start. But on the whole, it felt un-memorable to me … and I’m not even sure why. I only remember vague snippets now, I know they spent a lot of time at a sort of training rebel camp in a log or something … or am I getting this completely wrong? It’s been a while since I read it.

I think I found the prince character annoying.

Is this series worth continuing? I don’t normally read animal stories, if you know what I mean. Stories where the characters are animals. As such, maybe that’s another reason the first book didn’t grab me super much. But is it worth continuing? Like, is it an epic story?

The end of a story, a beautiful picture; a feeling of longing yet hope~
                That’s my wish to create.

Keilah H.
                @keilah-h

@elishavet-pidyon Yeah, isn’t it so annoying when you have to wait for a story to finish? I’m like that with one of my other favorite series, there will be two more books but I have to wait until November for the next one to come out…..

@trahia-the-minstrel
                  It’s pretty good, actually! It is kinda unmemorable at first, but the later books have a lot more action in them. And Smalls (or Smalden) is all right. Heather likes him, but Picket does find him a bit annoying too.

@koshka
                  I liked the last one. I tend to like the last part of a series because then I know what happened to the characters…….

Natalie C.
                  @nanisnook
                    • Total Posts: 154

@keilah-h

I love that series!! I reread it a while ago, and I got sad at the end even though I already knew what was going to happen XD. I like Heather and Small’s relationship. And I love all the fighting, especially with Helmer.

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10

Elishavet Pidyon
                    @elishavet-pidyon
                      • Total Posts: 1013

@keilah-h

Ugh, yes! But still, it’s fun to wait and guess what will happen, even if you go mad from the anticipation. XD

@trahia-the-minstrel

It’s really good! I have heard that the first book can be a bit slow, and a friend of ours never really got hooked because of the gentle introduction. Like Keilah H. said, it gets very active!

Smalls is very reserved, he has to be. Sometimes he can come off as a little too perfect or apathetic, but when you actually look at his character, he has his struggles and hides a lot of pain. I don’t know why he annoyed you, but I can see how he might be annoying. 🙂

I liked him, but that’s just personal preference.

…and I’ll stop jabbering. 😉

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Trahia the Minstrel
                      @trahia-the-minstrel
                        • Total Posts: 193

@keilah-h and @elishavet-pidyon

Perhaps I’ll have to give it another go, then, and read past the 1st book.😉

The end of a story, a beautiful picture; a feeling of longing yet hope~
                        That’s my wish to create.

Keilah H.
                        @keilah-h

@trahia-the-minstrel You should! It’s great. And although I like animal stories, I get it if you’re not too big a fan. These are good though, and they’re funny.

@elishavet-pidyon
                          Yeah, totally!

@nanisnook
                          ANOTHER series we both love?! Wow, that’s crazy! (You do remember the long conversation we had about Warriors, The Bad Batch, and Loki, right?) And yeah, Helmer is really cool. Everyone kept describing him here, and when I first saw him in the book even before they said his name, I was like, “Yep, that’s Helmer! Ornery, fierce black rabbit with crazy fighting tactics.”

Wait a sec…..Does that mean Helmer is like the Hunter or Crosshair of the Green Ember world?

Natalie C.
                          @nanisnook
                            • Total Posts: 154

@keilah-h

Yes, I definitely remember that conversation. It was great! Okay, “Ornery, fierce black rabbit with crazy fighting tactics” is the only way that I will describe Helmer from now on. That’s perfect. I guess he’s kind of like Hunter and Crosshair smushed together maybe? Idk.

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10

Keilah H.
                            @keilah-h

@nanisnook Now I want to draw Helmer with a red bandanna on his head and gray armor…… I doubt I’ll actually do it but still, the imagery is hilarious. And you’re welcome on the description!

Lydia S.
                              @lydia-s
                                • Total Posts: 399

@keilah-h

Agh, yay!!! I’m so glad you enjoyed it. XD I agree; it’s an awesome setting and basic plot. It’s very unique to have helpless animals armed and fighting dangerous predators.

I LOVED the series! Ember’s End was my favorite book, I think… How about you?

HELMER ALL THE WAY.

*ahem*

I really love him… His complexity, backstory, regret, hard exterior, mental walls… Everything about him appeals to me, and I am likely one of his biggest fans. XD Who was your favorite character?

Keilah H.
                                @keilah-h

@lydia-s It is great! I recognized Helmer instantly when I saw him, before his name was even mentioned, thanks to all the chatter about him on here. I think he’s cool. And i liked Ember’s End the best too! (I don’t know, I tend to like the last book in series…..)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >