I Don’t Do Dares, but…

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions I Don’t Do Dares, but…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Alien and Sojourner in a Foreign Land
    @william-starkey
      • Total Posts: 634

@selah-chelyah @kathleenramm @erinramm @devastate-lasting @gracie-j @e-k-seaver @michelle

@morwen
      @warrenluther04 @not-so-secret-secret-assassin @and-everyone-else-because-this-will-bring-out-the-best-in-us-all-I’m-sure

Generally, I don’t do dares because I think them foolish, and immature…but anyways. (And I don’t blame anyone if nobody participates.)

THE DARE THAT I USUALLY PROBABLY WOULDN’T DO: I dare everybody on here to post a few pages of the first draft of their first story. Or at least, the best piece they wrote of their first story. Just one or two pages. But is has to be part of that original idea, and it has to be left posted, unchanged. I’ll do it if you do.

E. K. Seaver
      @e-k-seaver
        • Total Posts: 344

Deal. Give me a minute to find it. 😅

The pen is mightier than the sword, but in a duel, I'm taking the sword.
        ekseaver.wordpress.com

Linyang Zhang
        @devastate-lasting
          • Total Posts: 1700

@leon-fleming *raises hand* All my first drafts of my first stories were handwritten, and even if I could find them and take a picture and upload them, I doubt you guys could read my handwriting.

Lately, it's been on my brain
          Would you mind letting me know
          If hours don't turn into days

E. K. Seaver
          @e-k-seaver

https://ekseaver.wordpress.com/2020/06/21/four-year-writing-birthday/

ekseaver.wordpress.com

Alien and Sojourner in a Foreign Land
            @william-starkey
              • Total Posts: 634

@e-k-seaver XD Nice profile picture. Alright.

@devastate-lasting
              You could type them out digitally, and post it. That’s what I’m gonna do since my old notebooks are three hours away from me currently, in a storage room. Thankfully I have a habit of writing my name and date on most everything; that first page actually has the date on it.

Linyang Zhang
              @devastate-lasting
                • Total Posts: 1700

@leon-fleming Given my schedule for today, tomorrow, and the rest of this year, that is not going to be happening anytime soon. I’m pretty much not permitted to type anything off my old notebooks until I graduate.

I did just remember that I have, like, the second draft of the first short story I wrote on my computer, though. Perhaps you’d like to see that instead? I don’t think that I would die from cringing that much for this one, since it was for school.

Lately, it's been on my brain
                Would you mind letting me know
                If hours don't turn into days

E. K. Seaver
                @e-k-seaver

@leon-fleming Danke.

ekseaver.wordpress.com

R.M. Archer
                  @r-m-archer
                    • Total Posts: 243

@leon-fleming I don’t have the first story I wrote (thank heavens), but I can point you to a whole document of my early stories (approximately story #3 and onward; they were all quite short) and ensuing snarky commentary from myself and friends. XD

Oh boy. I just looked at the document and it’s soooooo cringy… Seven-year-old me was rather blissfully ignorant of how certain events would have worked… I’m not sure I want to do this anymore… XD

*cough* In the interest of the dare… I shall share anyway… Just be aware that everything was written over a decade ago and I was an innocent, sheltered child who knew nothing. XD

A Collection of Stories I Wrote When I Was About Seven (A.K.A. The Cheese Factory)

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Singer. Worldbuilding enthusiast.

R.M. Archer
                    @r-m-archer

@e-k-seaver *cracks up* Your commentary is golden.

Gracie J.
                      @gracie-j
                        • Total Posts: 1789

@leon-fleming is doing a dare? What? *looks out the window* I don’t see any flying pigs… Wow. I’m definitely gonna take advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime instance.

First off, @e-k-seaver, your story is way better than my firsts ever were!

Secondly, I have so many “firsts”–first writing attempt ever (which I can’t find), first story written in a notebook (not willing to find), first attempt at a book, first attempt at a book that I actually planned on doing something with, first finished manuscript, etc–so I’m just going to share the worst most interesting.

I started this one…uh, I’m ashamed to say when I was about 11, ’cause I seriously want to believe that I was closer to 9…I’m honestly not sure. I also couldn’t spell decently until *coughs* yesterday (most misspelled words are actually phonetically spelled according to one character’s baby-speak). I have progressed. Not much, but any progress is still progress. I only wrote two chapters of this, which was probably for the better, and–surprisingly–my first finished “novel” was considerably better (at least enough to serialize on my blog).

Secret Agent Girls

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

R.M. Archer
                        @r-m-archer

@gracie-j Oh dear… There are so many exclamation marks… XD

The last paragraph sounds like so many of my early stories. “Let’s make kids spies/royalty/etc! Clearly they’re perfectly qualified! :D”

Gracie J.
                          @gracie-j
                            • Total Posts: 1789

@r-m-archer it. is. just. so. terrible. And what is it about adolescent spies? I just don’t get it–although apparently I thought I did back then. I know I watched a lot of Spy Kids and Totally Spies back then, so that probably had something to do with that.

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

E. K. Seaver
                            @e-k-seaver

@gracie-j, is it bad that I read the baby-speech as a Scottish accent at first? XD Also I love that adults actually chose the children. All the kids in my stories just ran off and did things without their parents knowing or with really obscure permission and rules they ended up breaking.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by E. K. Seaver. Reason: I HAD MORE THOUGHTS

ekseaver.wordpress.com

Elizabeth
                              @lewilliams
                                • Total Posts: 252

@leon-fleming Give me a moment (read: a day or two) to blow the dust off my decrepit old laptop and I’ll do it.

“Seven seconds till the end. Time enough for you. Perhaps. But what will you do with it?”

Jenna Terese
                                @jenwriter17
                                  • Total Posts: 2522

I shared some of my old writing here. 🙂

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                                  www.jennaterese.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >