How to write song lyrics – Help!

Home Page Forums Other Art Forms Music How to write song lyrics – Help!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Mark Kamibaya
    @mark-kamibaya
      • Total Posts: 318

@warrioroftherealm Actually I don’t mean repetition in that way. I’m talking about repetition of theme. Take this:

verse 1: God is good
      verse 2: God is all powerful
      verse 3: God is just

Boring!

Although, it’s true it’s still super boring.

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Mark Kamibaya
      @mark-kamibaya
        • Total Posts: 318

@warrioroftherealm My favorite genre is the singer/songwriter genre. Google it, listen to a few (or a lot of) artists, and you’ll find a prevailing style but with different cross overs (usually with pop). However, the overall sound doesn’t normally have a lot of instruments. Sometimes just a guitar and a singer. The thing that ties this genre together is the emphasis on the words of the song (which the artist writes). Definitely, check it out.

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Jackson Graham
        @warrioroftherealm
          • Total Posts: 115

@mark-kamibaya

I think you’ve pinpointed a certain problem a lot of beginning songwriters have:

Saying more than one message in the song.

For example, lets say that you are intending to write a song on how God is all powerful.
          You might reference both His justice and His goodness, but you will be focusing on one thing. Otherwise, your audience will not be sure exactly what the song is about.

I know this because of a songwriting interview I listened to with Brenton Brown. I’m not sure if you’ve heard of him, but he’s a worship leader from the UK and California.

Jackson E. Graham
          http://jacksonegraham.wixsite.com/jackson-e-graham

Hannah R.
          @his-instrument
            • Total Posts: 229

@warrior-of-the-realm I’ve been writing songs for about eight years, so I’ll give what advice on lyrics I can.
            1) Paradoxes are good. Contrast can inspire emotion in listeners. For example (this one’s a bit cliche, but in my opinion, can’t be overdone): contrasting things like our unworthiness and God’s gift. Jesus took on a crown of thorns, gave us a crown of life… etc.
            2) Words aren’t everything. Melody has a lot to do with the mood you evoke. Take into careful consideration the key you write in. If you want a darker feel, obviously go with a minor key, but not all minors are created equal. E-flat minor is a lot darker than A minor or F# minor. And minor keys aren’t always sad; you can write all kinds of different moods in minor keys, and you can manage to make a major key sad if you do it right. Look at instrumentation, voicing, pitch, octaves, etc.
            3) You can draw directly from Scripture for a lot of things. If you try to read Scripture in rhythm (look especially at Isaiah) you’ll find that there’s a lot of natural cadence, which can inspire a melody to flow as well. That is, if you’re looking for inspiration.
            4) There are a ton of rhyme schemes to choose from, and your words don’t even necessarily have to rhyme, as others have pointed out. Play with assonance and similar ending sounds. Or you could get a rhyming dictionary. I have one, and it helps me tremendously. If you need a noncliche rhyme for love… well, there are none. But the rhyming dictionary will suggest a few things, most of which have been used a million times because everybody writes songs about love. But you know what I’m saying. 🙂
            Let me know how your writing turns out! If you want to share song lyrics for feedback, I’d be happy to look at them.

YA Fantasy Writer
            Obsessive Character Namer
            Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Jackson Graham
            @warrioroftherealm

@his-instrument

Thanks for the advice! I try to use scripture whenever I can in songwriting. When you’re trying to help teach people about life in song, why not use the words God gave when he was giving us advice about life? 🙂
              I probably will pick key and melody when I’m finished tying up all the rhyme schemes, etc. I used to start with chords first, but that just hemmed my lyrics in and made them cheesy. I wonder if I could fit a paradox in my current song… 🙂

Jackson E. Graham

Hannah R.
              @his-instrument

@warrior-of-the-realm I think chordally, so I almost always start with the melody and fill in the words, tweaking the melody as needed. But that’s just me. I think it’s because when I come up with something instrumental, it already has a meaning to me, so I know what the words are going to be about and it’s not hard for me to finish it up by adding words.
                And you’re exactly right about using Scripture in songs. God gave us a message to share, and if songwriting is one of your gifts, then He meant it as a way for you to share that message.

YA Fantasy Writer

Hannah R.
                @his-instrument

Oops… I got your tag wrong. No hyphens. @warrioroftherealm
                  I think chordally, so I almost always start with the melody and fill in the words, tweaking the melody as needed. But that’s just me. I think it’s because when I come up with something instrumental, it already has a meaning to me, so I know what the words are going to be about and it’s not hard for me to finish it up by adding words.
                  And you’re exactly right about using Scripture in songs. God gave us a message to share, and if songwriting is one of your gifts, then He meant it as a way for you to share that message.
                  How long have you been writing songs? Do you play any instruments?

YA Fantasy Writer

Jackson Graham
                  @warrioroftherealm

@his-instrument

I have just started writing quality songs. Note how I said quality. 🙂 The stuff I came up with before was not up to par…

I have been playing piano for around 9 years and I am currently learning guitar and voice. I also play with some other random instruments, like some bongos (and other drums), Irish penny whistles, and other things like that. What about you? Do you play any instruments?

Jackson E. Graham

Hannah R.
                    @his-instrument

@warrioroftherealm Yeah, I started writing songs when I was much younger, and they ended up with titles like “Snow is Falling” if that gives you any idea of the quality. But my music teacher has always emphasized music theory and stuff, so I started to get a better handle on what makes a song good recently.
                      I also have been playing piano as my primary instrument, but I’ve lost track of how many years– I think over ten. Voice has been my secondary instrument for probably seven years, and I dabble in violin, Irish penny whistle (because you can’t get a much cooler sound than an Irish penny whistle), and guitar. As far as guitar goes, I’m not great, but I know enough to lead worship for small groups if I have to. I can play in the keys of C and G, and I know how to move a capo. 🙂 Bongos are cool. I’ve never played them seriously, but I like to bang on things, like pots, pretzel jars, furniture, and walls, so I imagine I’d like playing drums. Do you play bongos in a band or something, or just for fun?
                      Are you looking at songwriting as a career, or is it just a hobby?
                      If you’ve been playing piano for 9 years, you might want to look at teaching beginning piano lessons, if you haven’t already. There are a lot of parents who want to start off their kids with piano lessons, and teaching has taught me so much about piano. Besides, it’s a remarkably profitable job that can be done from home. Even if you just take on two or three students, people will pay a high price for half-hour lessons (most studios charge $20 or more for a half hour lesson. I charge $12. There are few other jobs where you can make $24 an hour). Just a suggestion.

YA Fantasy Writer

Jackson Graham
                      @warrioroftherealm

@his-instrument

Way to go on learning your numerous instruments! For guitar, I suggest that you look into the eMedia cd-rom courses. I got the guitar deluxe pack for $100 and I have made remarkable progress so far (considering my less-than-amateur status before I started the program). Their courses are not usually that expensive, usually around $30 – $60. The deluxe pack is probably their most expensive guitar course they have.

As for piano lessons, I haven’t really considered the job. I might have been playing piano for 9 years, but I started taking lessons around a year or more ago (before that it was mostly playing for church and a couple other songs). I might consider the job when I “graduate” from lessons so that I have a extremely firm grasp on the instrument.

As for my career, it would be cool to be both an author and a musician. Right now I’m just seeing what God has in store before I charge ahead with my own plans. 🙂

Jackson E. Graham

Hannah R.
                        @his-instrument

@warrioroftherealm I hadn’t considered using an online or cd-rom-based course for guitar. That’s a good idea though– thanks! I would like to become more proficient, so that maybe I can actually play in some other keys. 🙂
                          Yeah, as for piano lessons, even after 10+ years of receiving lessons, there are times when I still feel extremely unqualified. Like, how do you develop a musical ear in someone who cannot tell whether they’re playing Twinkle, Twinkle starting on a C from playing with the same fingers but starting on a B?
                          I’m glad you’re waiting for God’s leading in your life, and that you want to use your talents for him. It is always encouraging to me when I see other young people seeking God’s will and seeking his heart. “‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart” (Jeremiah 29:11-13). Keep seeking him with all your heart, and he will guide your path!

YA Fantasy Writer

Jackson Graham
                          @warrioroftherealm

@his-instrument

I think the reason I didn’t actually start lessons with a teacher until recently was because there hadn’t been a piano teacher near where we lived until we came to Idaho.

Thanks for the encouragement! Sometimes it seems as though you’re completely aimless, but God has it under control. 🙂

Jackson E. Graham

Anne of Lothlorien
                            @anne-of-lothlorien
                              • Total Posts: 440

I play the piano and I’ve written three songs on it, and they all don’t last more than two minutes. But I’m still proud of them. The first one I ever wrote was when I was twelve. I called it pin-ball machine.

@warrioroftherealm
                              That is weird we haven’t crossed. I just got on here in September I think. Yah. But I’ve been hounding it before that, before I got an email address and I never saw you. Are you invisible?

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Jackson Graham
                              @warrioroftherealm

@anne-of-lothlorien

Oh no! You’ve figured out my secret superhero power! 🙂

It’s awesome you’ve composed some stuff! Do the songs have words or are they just instrumentals/soundtrack?

Jackson E. Graham

Anne of Lothlorien
                                @anne-of-lothlorien
                                  • Total Posts: 440

@warrioroftherealm No, they’re just simple melodies on the piano only. I don’t know how to play any other instruments yet, so I haven’t transitioned them at all.
                                  Sorry about disclosing that thing. I’m pretty nosey. Speaking of which, is your profile pic you? I like to know. There’s not too many people that do pictures of people who aren’t them, unless it’s a fictional character, but I still ask. Cause I’m nosey. Curious, curious, excuse me.

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >