How to write non-magical fantasy

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy How to write non-magical fantasy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 692

I need tips on writing non-magical fantasy.

Trailblazer
      @trailblazer
        • Total Posts: 591

@sarafini

What exactly do you mean by non-magical? Or maybe a better question is, what things do you classify as magical? I feel like everyone has a slightly different take on what they consider magical. And also it depends how it’s used, too- C. S. Lewis has some in his books, but the approach he takes on it is different than other books.

"Real love is for your good, not for your comfort." -Justin Whitmel Earley

Sara
        @savannah_grace2009
          • Total Posts: 1977

@sarafini

Well, like Trailblazer said, it depends on what you classify as “magical”, as well as what you mean by fantasy. Because, technically, if you make any story “strange” enough, it could be fantasy. Like, even a historical fiction could be classified as “fantasy”. If you mean fantasy, like, as in another world, you could just remove magic from it and focus on worldbuilding. It depends on the reasons you have for omitting magic.

If you’re like me, and prefer not to use “good magic” because it goes against your beliefs (I believe that magic is bad because it’s not from God, however it can be portrayed in good ways and still make a good story, I’m just choosing not to show magic as “good”), you can always use “dark magic” or simply make all magic evil.

I’m curious, what is the plot to this alleged non-magical story? Based on the plot, I might be able to help you on some things.

Lukas&Livia
          #Lalbert
          Sef&Chase
          #HOTTOLINE
          LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Esther
          @esther-c
            • Total Posts: 3202

@sarafini

That’s a great question! And actually, I’m planning to write a non-magical fantasy sometime in the future.

I think all you have to do is make the world unique. Magic doesn’t define fantasy, although it often is a big component of it. You can create different races, or different culture within one world or country. Whatever you want to do. With fantasy, there is so much possibility with worldbuilding. Really dig into that. What makes this world, or this country, different from our world?

I hope this helps! If you have any additional questions, I’ll do my best to answer them!

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Scoutillus Finch
            @scoutfinch180
              • Total Posts: 413

@sarafini

Hi!

I don’t know what exactly you mean by non-magical fantasy, but I’ll take it you mean ‘magic’ that is divine/supernatural phenomena of some kind that cannot be controlled, or just a world that is inherently ‘magical’ in a sense, like The Chronicles of Narnia.

If you want to create a non-magical world, I totally understand. I think the best approach is to put the uniqueness of your world into other things that are outside of ‘magic’ as in powers or spells, whether that be creatures, different races, plants, or geography. Even such things that are in mythologies, where humans are living alongside gods that directly affect their lives and the world itself.

I hope this helps you and hopefully give you some ideas!

We crazy people are the normal ones.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            >