How to make your plot more exciting?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Plotting How to make your plot more exciting?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 1379

Hey KeePers!

So, I recently began a new story and am loving it. I love the theme, the characters, and the concept. I don’t want to stop writing it.

But I realized I’m feeling a bit bored when I work on it, because the plot points don’t strike me as super thrilling. Like I said, I love the main concept and everything else about the story, but the plot is just falling flat for me.

Has this ever happened to any of you? What do you do when you love a story but find the narrative a bit boring? Any ideas on how to make a plot more exciting?

@jodi-maile
      @seekjustice @e-k-seaver @gracie-j @godlyfantasy12 @jenwriter17 @devastate-lasting @writerlexi1216 @kathleenramm @issawriter7 @scripter-of-kingdoms @elfwing @iluvhim18 @lewilliams @nanisnook @mkfairygirl @anyone-i-forgot

Jenna Terese
      @jenwriter17
        • Total Posts: 2522

@joy-caroline

Sometimes this happens to me when I’m working on a more slow-paced story. But I try to remember that if the plot points are big changes for the protagonist and move the plot forward, then they’re important, even if they might not seem exciting. 🙂

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
        www.jennaterese.com

Linyang Zhang
        @devastate-lasting
          • Total Posts: 1700

@joy-caroline Murder someone.

Well, or badly injure someone. Is what I do. I’m assuming, however, that your story isn’t of the suitable genre. But yeah, what Jenna said. Keep writing by looking forward to whatever’s coming. Or maybe spice things up by doing something unexpected. Or develop who you thought was gonna be a minor character. Whatever makes the story fun for you.

Lately, it's been on my brain
          Would you mind letting me know
          If hours don't turn into days

Issabelle Perry
          @issawriter7
            • Total Posts: 976

@joy-caroline

Oooh, new story!!!

Oh, yeah, this happens allllll the time. And when it happens for me, it’s pretty awful, ’cause I get bored REALLY EASILY in stories. which may or may not explain why I was insane enough to have a fight scene on PAGE SEVEN in one of my novels *sheepish grin*

Well, this is the best advice I’ve EVER heard when it comes to making your plot more exciting and credit goes completely to Jennifer Nielsen. The best thing to do in these situations is ask yourself: “What’s the meanest thing I can do to my characters in this moment?” And do that. Bam, you’ve got an exciting plot. Annnd another thing I’ll do is if there’s a scene coming up that I’m not excited to write and DOESN’T move the plot forward at all, cut it. Because something else I’ve heard (this time the credit goes to Ally Carter) is that if you’re bored at this point, most likely your reader will be too.

And finally, the best thing you can do is just raise the external AND internal stakes. What does your character want most? Know that, then take it from them. What is happening that will keep the character from getting what he/she wants? Why is your character fighting? Does this moment propel the plot forward? Will this moment have any impact on both main character and reader?

That’s just some things to maybe help get your thoughts going. I hope this helps!!!!

God gives His hardest battles to His strongest soldiers.
            TeenWritersNook.com

Elfwing
            @elfwing
              • Total Posts: 486

@joy-caroline

ooooo yes, why does that always happen? lol

#1 well, music of course, it’s inspiring for me, at least.

#2 writing little backstories about the book world and the characters and that can help me figure out what is bland.

#3 reread from the beginning of my work and then get a fresh view of my current scene.

#4 Read/listen to a book with a good narrative that you really like that has a good plotline! For me it’s Lord of the Rings and even The Hobbit, also I like the Lamplighter Theatre books and audio dramas, and depending on the kind of thing I’m writing determines which one I listen to. Sir Malcolm and the Missing Prince is a wonderful story about learning humility and being more like Christ. The White Gypsy is amazingly done and perfect for inspiration for a story about lost characters and a path to a new life. The Treasure of Secret Cove is a good one on how rebellion can destroy but honesty and love and salvation can change a life like that into something beautiful that God can use.

#5 *winces * write a different plot (or several) out separate to the story, then compare them to my original and see which I like better and replace if it’s really terrible (which I have had to do lots of times lol) or maybe add some parts of my other possible-plot-replacers into the current one and tweak it a little.

#6 (which I perhaps should have mentioned first hahaha I sound like Mr. Collins XD) see what the family thinks! siblings are amazing for this, especially the ones who love reading, and mothers are good at critiquing things. Or at least, mine is and it’s awesome.

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Katherine
              @mkfairygirl
                • Total Posts: 549

@joy-caroline Something like this has happened to me. I was working on my current novel several weeks ago and found myself bored with it. So, I decided to skip the boring scenes and write a more interesting one. Though I’m not sure that helps with your situation. On the other hand, I not all that great with plot anyway (at least, I don’t think I am). But, I think that strong characters can carry the story even if you think the plot is boring. When I was reading this one book that I really loved a couple of years ago, I realized that what kept me reading and not putting the book down was the AWESOME characters!!!! I didn’t care too much that the plot was kinda simple, I just LOVED the characters and wanted to keep reading about them!

So, maybe your awesome characters are enough to make an awesome story. Or, if you really want to splice up the plot more, maybe external conflict would help? I’ve heard writers say that whatever your character desperately wants, keep it from them so that it’s harder for your character to get (or your character might realize that didn’t need what they thought they wanted). Maybe this video will help with making your plot more interesting: https://zoom.us/rec/play/RyWPLc5k3AqpeyiLdFvfLh4Vr2s8uPlqeV462wqSAVcGaOiabSy8pL5Y3q4lYJ1cm4bIzxqbD3xmsJoK.sNFCOFXyVE6ow3pY (I hope the link works though!😜)

I’m wishing you the best of luck as you figure things out for your story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!🍀

"It looks like a fairy world"~Meg from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
                Fall in love with Jesus

Katherine
                @mkfairygirl
                  • Total Posts: 549

@joy-caroline I just remember that my previous WIP had a boring plotline as well! Honestly, I’m not sure what I did to make it more interesting though!!😂 My MC kinda took control and then changed EVERYTHING I had planned before the plotline became interesting. So, yeah, I hope you’ll work it all out for your story!!!!!!! 😀 <33

"It looks like a fairy world"~Meg from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
                  Fall in love with Jesus

Jodi Maile
                  @jodi-maile
                    • Total Posts: 138

@joy-caroline

This is the story of my life. I’ve struggled with this during so many stories. My best advice to renew your interest in the story would be to do any of these things:

Up the stakes

Let some characters encounter the consequences of their choices and have to navigate those consequences

Give the protagonist a specific amount of time to do what they need to do, or else something bad will happen (ticking clock device)

Try to figure out some new ways you can explore the theme through subplots, new characters, old characters leaving, new conflicts, return of old conflicts, etc.

Or just focus on finishing the first draft, boring as it may seem, and then revise it with a new perspective later

For me, just finishing the first draft would probably have been most helpful when I’ve struggled with this before. But I don’t like working on things that bore me, since I lose sight of the reason I’m writing in the first place. Maybe writing down what you hope this story will do for future readers might help, like how it’ll leave them feeling or what it will teach them, since doing that could renew your feeling of purpose and interest in writing this story because of the things you hope it will do for your readers.

Anonymous
                      • Total Posts: 1379

@jenwriter17 @devastate-lasting @issawriter7 @elfwing @mkfairygirl @jodi-maile

Wow! You guys all had awesome ideas. Enjoyed hearing about your processes, and thanks for the help!

Elfwing
                      @elfwing
                        • Total Posts: 486

@joy-caroline

glad to be of assistance!

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      >