How naming affects characterization

Home Page ā€ŗ Forums ā€ŗ Fiction Writing ā€ŗ Characters ā€ŗ How naming affects characterization

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Jason
    @jason
      • Total Posts: 23

@his-instrument I really, really want your root list! Iā€™ve never thought about that before and thatā€™s so so cool and helpful! Just the wolf and friend explanations were really really cool. How did you get this knowledge!!!! It makes me so excited. šŸ™‚ šŸ™‚ šŸ™‚

Jason
      @jason
        • Total Posts: 23

What do you guys think about names that are made up of words like ā€œBlue Thrushā€ and ā€œRed Leafā€ and should they be made into one word: ā€œRedleaf?ā€

Snapper
        @dragon-snapper
          • Total Posts: 3515

@Jason Ooh! I do like that. *writes down in notebook* I will, henceforth, keep that in mind.
          *sighs* Naming is great, except when you spend an hour or so doing it. šŸ˜›

@his-instrument
          Yes! The list! šŸ˜‰

ā˜€ ā˜€ ā˜€ ENFP ā˜€ ā˜€ ā˜€

Hannah R.
          @his-instrument
            • Total Posts: 229

@jason I like the idea of names like Blue Thrush and Red Leaf. Youā€™ll want to be careful not to make them sound like Native American names (not that all Native Americans have names like that, just that that is what a lot of people associate with them), and I think combining them into one word would be a good way to do that. Shakespeare had some faeries (in A Midsummer Nightā€™s Dream I believe) who had names like Cobweb, Mustard-seed, Blossom, and Moth, which I thought was a kind of cool concept for any kind of character, not just faeries.
            And as for my list of roots, I preface this with the disclaimer that these are just things Iā€™ve observed and I am not a certified etymologist. šŸ™‚ I use The Complete Book of Baby Names as my biggest resource, and Iā€™ve discovered these roots by observing names. When I see that ā€œMarissaā€ means ā€œWoman of the seaā€ and ā€œMaryā€ means ā€œstar of the sea,ā€ I can deduce that ā€œmarā€ has something to do with the sea. Iā€™ve learned a little bit from studying Latin and Greek root words, and I also find names in my Hebrew/Greek Strongā€™s Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible. Oh, and I love looking at roots on Dictionary.com. Old English roots usually make great names.
            One more disclaimer: some of these roots mean different things in other contexts or other languages, but your readers probably wonā€™t know that. These are just a good way to construct names that have a meaning to the writer.
            So now, the list, (@dragon-snapper) by no means in alphabetical order:
            shaw = woods
            gris = grey
            wold = forest
            bos = forest
            gunn = warrior
            win, wyn = friend
            -ley (usually at the end of a name, like Hadley or Gridley) = meadow
            grim = dark (surprise!) (English origin)
            hag = enclosed (English origin)
            -olf = wolf (Norse)
            geir = spear (Norse)
            leif = descendant (Norse)
            bjorn = bear (Norse)
            ard = strong
            swell = spring
            car = swamp, marsh, or sometimes rock (English)
            cath = fighter
            hild = battle (I think that oneā€™s Norse or Scandinavian)
            el, eld = old
            mer, mar = sea
            mor, mort = death
            brand = sword
            ar = lion or eagle
            gar = spear
            han = having grace (Hebrew)
            cen = bold (English)
            brad = wide, broad (English)
            bram, bran = raven (English)
            lief = beloved (English)
            glen = valley or, shockingly, glen
            gil, gill = servant (Scottish/Irish) (e.g. ā€œGilliesā€ means ā€œservant of Jesus,ā€ ā€œGilleanā€ means ā€œservant of St. John, etc.)
            gorm = blue (Irish)

And this is only what Iā€™ve written down so far! I highly recommend you purchase a copy of The Complete Book of Baby Names by Lesley Bolton. It has over 100,000 names in it, and you can open it to pretty much any page and find patterns in the names from which you can deduce roots.
            And, guys, letā€™s just appreciate for a moment what an epic name ā€œGlendowerā€ is. Itā€™s Welsh (which is a pretty easy way to tell whether or not itā€™s a cool nameā€“ ā€œIs it Welsh?ā€ ā€œYes.ā€ ā€œThen itā€™s fantastic.ā€) and it means ā€œFrom the valley near the water.ā€ It sounds like it should be the name of Gandalfā€™s sidekick or something, if Gandalf had a sidekick.
            Hope this is helpful!
            In Christ,
            Hannah

YA Fantasy Writer
            Obsessive Character Namer
            Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Snapper
            @dragon-snapper

@his-instrument *steeples fingers* Excellent.

šŸ˜›

Arella Noreen
              @arella-noreen
                • Total Posts: 26

@his-instrument Iā€™ve also used roots before, although not for character names! Thatā€™s actually a really intriguing idea, now that I think about itā€¦

My main use of word roots is for places or things. A fantasy novel that I have the main idea of the plot for already is a good example. I used roots to make up the cities, countries, races, and in the past Iā€™ve also used it for naming swords. Usually itā€™s less along the lines of putting roots together or closer to taking two roots and mashing them together, switching around letters until I like the way it sounds. Sometimes itā€™s easy to tell what the original roots words, but other timesā€¦

DelightInLife
                @delightinlife
                  • Total Posts: 124

@jenali @dragon-snapper I totally agree! I really like J and L names for heroes. Lately Iā€™ve been noticing that I have a lot of J & L names in my WIPā€¦so I might need to pay a bit more attention to that. šŸ™‚

Meanings of names are also SUPER important to me. I always look up any name I like for a character to see what it means first, because to me that will really reflect who they are and their personality, even if no one else knows the meaning. When I was talking to my aunt about names and their meanings, she made a really good point that that has stuck with me since then. She said that every time she says her daughters name (Liberty) she is speaking freedom over her, as that is what her name means. I love that. My parents and I joke that Iā€™ll have a lot of fun naming my kids someday!

I also had a question (out of curiosity) for anyone who wants to answer. Where do you guys find names for your characters? Do you go to websites? Find them in books? In real life? I found a website that has a list of names from medieval times that I use a lot medieval.stormthecastle.com/medieval-names.htm though I also find them in other places.

For those of you who are familiar with the Kingdom Series, I think Chuck Black might have gone to that website at some point, for there are a lot of names on there that he chose for his characters. šŸ™‚

I also really like certain names from the Bible, and will use that as well. Since I am writing medieval fiction, I am always on the lookout for names that will fit the time period. One of my characters right now I first named Luke. The problem is, I keep thinking of Star Wars, so I want to change it, but I havenā€™t found names so far that will fit the character. Does anyone have any tips\ methods they use when trying to find a name?

@kate-flournoy
                  @winter-rose @christi-eaton @jess @jane-maree @aysia-serene @emma-flournoy

@ethryndal

Thanks so much!
                  -Bella

DelightInLife
                  @delightinlife
                    • Total Posts: 124

@his-instrument I would love to hear names meaning fire! I know Josiah means ā€œthe lord burns, the fire of the lordā€ and I have always loved that name. What are some that you have?

Kate Flournoy
                    @kate-flournoy
                      • Total Posts: 3976

Wow guys, there are no words for the awesomeness of this topic. Fellow word-root loversā€” group hug! šŸ˜€

@DelightInLife
                      I donā€™t have time right now to do as long a post as I could, but starting out, I basically figured out what kind of feel/culture I wanted the name to belong to/have, then went and searched on Google ā€˜old Nordic/Saxon/Japanese/whatever namesā€™. If I wanted a specific symbolism/meaning, I would tack on a ā€˜that mean etc.ā€™ to the end, but when I was just starting writing, literally all I did was browse the lists and take mental note of what everything meant, and how they all went together to make different meaningsā€¦ Having been writing for about four years now, I have a pretty large stock of names and meanings tucked away in my head, and (more invaluably) an understanding of how names work in regards to different languages and cultures.
                      Soā€¦ research. Itā€™s fun, anyway. I mean, who DOESNā€™T love scrolling through lists of cool old names? šŸ˜€

Jane Maree
                      @jane-maree
                        • Total Posts: 909

@DelightInLife the method I use when naming characters is often to search up say ā€˜boys names meaning suchandsuchā€™ if I want a particular meaning. I sometimes do the ā€˜unique/rare girl namesā€™ or ā€˜Irish/Gaelic/Welsh/Spanish/ect. names meaning blah-blah.ā€™ Because then I can find one that fits with my setting.
                        If itā€™s medieval fiction, what country is it based in? What background does your character have? Say the setting is in France but his mother came from, say, Scotland, he might end up with a name that just screams Scottish and really stands out from the other names of the supporting cast. And you end up with a little bit of backstory along with his name.
                        Same thing works for any other genres too. Fantasy countries are generally based of some real life country (even if itā€™s by accident) so if itā€™s a dry arid fantasy world, Arab/Middle Eastern names (possibly with slight modifications to the authorā€™s liking) work well. Or if itā€™s Irish-like setting, a Gaelic name fits (just not one of the completely unpronounceable twelve-chapters-and-a-prequel-long ones :P).
                        So I try go for something simple enough to pronounce but not too common-place, because then thereā€™s the risk that the reader has heard the name a heap of times before and come into the story with preconceived ideas about the character just because of their name.

Writing Heroes ā™¦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Ethryndal
                        @ethryndal
                          • Total Posts: 1013

You guys make my pitiful attempts at naming look so lameā€¦ XD

@DelightInLife
                          Basically, when I need a name for my fantasy story, I just sort ofā€¦come up with one. I start putting random word syllables together, until something like Liriel emerges. (Liriel, by the way, is the main character in my WIP) I take a letter I think sounds nice, like L or J, and try to form something around it. To be honest, Iā€™ve never even considered word roots until now, though that is a super neat idea.

INTJ āžøYour friendly neighborhood mastermind. āžøhttps://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Jess
                          @jess
                            • Total Posts: 575

@ethryndal, thatā€™s alright, Iā€™m with you šŸ˜› I bang on the keyboard until I find sounds I like, then string them together. Itā€™s a very refined technique, developed over a long time of use. šŸ˜›

BUT, if I want a name that means somethingā€¦ I, well, I go to baby name websites. *blushes*
                            And if Iā€™m really stuck, Iā€™ll think of a word I like (for example: rock) then google what it is in different languages. @DelightinLife

Hannah R.
                            @his-instrument
                              • Total Posts: 229

@ethryndal There have actually been times when Iā€™ve just typed random letters and come up with names. Example: when I canā€™t think of anything to write (which does happen on rare occasions), my fingers usually fall in the nonsense pattern weioth. So I named a character Weioth.

@delightinlife
                              Iā€™ll get that fire list to you if I can find it. šŸ™‚

YA Fantasy Writer
                              Obsessive Character Namer
                              Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Snapper
                              @dragon-snapper

@his-instrument @delightinlife @ethryndal @jess @jane-maree @arella-noreen @kate-flournoy Come on, guys! I canā€™t keep up with you!
                                Arellaā€“I use roots to make names of cities too! However, the root is so obvious at some points, that Iā€™ll have to switch a few things around at some point so that you root lovers wonā€™t know
                                firsthand what means what. šŸ˜›
                                Delightinlifeā€“I love ā€˜jā€™ names. I also find that I use A quite a lot. And the meaning of names, I agree, is important, though its not if I find a name and just like the sound of it. šŸ˜› Then Iā€™ll just hope that the meaning of the name fits the character. Oh yes, I compiled a list once of naming characters, most of which I got from other people in the Kingdom. I will be sure to type that up soon.
                                Kate-flournoy Yes! Roots! I love roots! Itā€™s so helpful when it comes to taking tests!

Shaina
                                @jenali
                                  • Total Posts: 142

The way I name characters is that I look at their personality and find a name that fits them. Which is either from the top of my head, my baby name book :), or I make one up if it is fantasy. What I love doing is taking a common name, like Mark, and flip some letters around so that it is still slightly the same name, but is different enough to be interesting. Like Maruk.

@DelightinLife

The Scattered Writer

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >