How many stories/books have you written?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions How many stories/books have you written?

• This topic has 39 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 4 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Ellie Wingfeather
    @ellie-wingfeather
      • Total Posts: 14

Like the title says, how many books (or stories, long and short) have you written?

What genre do you lean to when writing?

Trailblazer
      @trailblazer
        • Total Posts: 600

@ellie-wingfeather

Completed stories or all the stories I’ve started? Because those are two different lists lol.

Most of my stories (I call them that because most of them aren’t finished yet and book sounds like a term for something that’s finished) are either contemporary fiction or historical fiction. I have a couple mysteries thrown in there, and the only book I’ve ever completely finished is a mystery. I wrote it for my English class in tenth grade so now when I read it I see a lot of things that need to be changed, but I did get it printed (not formally published).

Here’s the link to my blog page where you can find the PDF version if you’re interested in reading it. It’s called Up in Flames. 

Creative Writing

"Real love is for your good, not for your comfort." -Justin Whitmel Earley

HighScribe
        @highscribeofaetherium
          • Total Posts: 2230

@ellie-wingfeather

Exactly zero. (Unless you count the super cringey ‘Pontoon Boat Catastrophe’ which I wrote when I was seven. It can be found in the ‘what’s the cringiest thing you’ve ever written’ topic)

It's harder to make a square evil than it is a triangle.

Annoying side character of the KP cast.

Cloaked Mystery
          @jonas
            • Total Posts: 2624

@ellie-wingfeather

I have completed one short story. I have started writing…Only one other story, I think? But I have planned and done a lot of thinking about…let’s see, about…at least an additional four. I’ve been working on the same project for the last five years, and it’s gone through many changes, but it’s never reached completion.

I 100% lean to the fantasy and sci-fi genres. All the projects I’m planning/working on are set in a shared fantasy universe. The reason I say sci-fi is because all my fantasy has hard rules and magic systems, which in my opinion is where fantasy and sci-fi begin to bleed together. There’s still a difference though, and I mainly write fantasy. I might write sci-fi at some point though. If I had to write in a different genre, it would probably end up having a lot of fantasy elements in it anyway. Unless it was a historical fiction or something, which doesn’t allow that sort of thing.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
            ✨ Magic System Creator
            🎭 Character RPer
            📚 Appreciator of Books

-GRCR-
            @grcr
              • Total Posts: 949

@ellie-wingfeather

Oof, I’ve completed one book before, but I was twelve when I wrote it, and it was terrible… If we’re counting starts of stories, well I’ve written hundreds!

I used to write a lot of contemporary fiction, but I try to write fantasy. Right now, my story is a mix of both those two. 😅

...i see the world in my head every time i close my eyes...

HighScribe
              @highscribeofaetherium
                • Total Posts: 2230

@ellie-wingfeather

Oop, I didn’t see this question.

I agree with my brother, fantasy and maybe sci-fi. I wouldn’t even have any idea how to write contemporary or historical fiction.

It's harder to make a square evil than it is a triangle.

Annoying side character of the KP cast.

Sara
                @savannah_grace2009
                  • Total Posts: 1991

@ellie-wingfeather

I’ve only ever finished two long stories.
                  One was about four kids who go to another world…It can be found in the topic “what’s the cringiest thing you’ve ever written”.

And one was about a broken family who learns to love each other. I’ve never posted ANY of this.

I have a huge binder full of stories I’ve started but never finished. Most are only a page long.

My current WIP is 26 K words.

I have another story I started last year that was realistic fiction/sci-fi and never finished. It is really cringy.

And I have several short stories.

Lukas&Livia
                  #Lalbert
                  Sef&Chase
                  #HOTTOLINE
                  LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

-GRCR-
                  @grcr

@savannah_grace2009

Hey, my current novel is 26k too! lol

hybridlore
                    @hybridlore
                      • Total Posts: 1359

@ellie-wingfeather

I have only ever finished a flash fiction piece, a short story, and a cringy picture book when I was like seven. But I have a ton of started and abandoned ideas, ranging from like a page long to 20k words. I’m not sure if I’ll ever finish any of them, but I might go back to some eventually.

Now I lean towards softer science fiction, but when I was younger I used to write more contemporary and fantasy.

There is always light behind the clouds.
                      - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

hybridlore
                      @hybridlore
                        • Total Posts: 1359

@jonas

Unless it was a historical fiction or something, which doesn’t allow that sort of thing.

Fawkes and Romanov by Nadine Brandes are both historical fiction with fantasy mixed in. They’re both really good.

There is always light behind the clouds.
                        - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

Cloaked Mystery
                        @jonas

@hybridlore

Okay, I guess you could do that, but in my opinion it would be a bit different than other genres. In a lot if ways, historical fiction and fantasy are opposites, so to me that seems like mixing those is going to feel different than say a detective novel with fantasy elements. It’s hard to put into words, but the idea of mixing those two genres feels different to me than mixing fantasy with other genres. But yes, I guess you could technically do it.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                          ✨ Magic System Creator
                          🎭 Character RPer
                          📚 Appreciator of Books

Cloaked Mystery
                          @jonas

I think what I was trying to get at is that a historical fiction becomes less of a historical fiction book when you add fantasy to it, whereas another genre wouldn’t belong to its genre any less if you added fantasy. Hopefully that makes sense.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                            ✨ Magic System Creator
                            🎭 Character RPer
                            📚 Appreciator of Books

Esther
                            @esther-c
                              • Total Posts: 3213

@ellie-wingfeather

If we’re counting completed drafts, even if they’re of the same story then I have… four. Including incomplete drafts (and drafts of stories I wrote when I was nine) then that’s… ten? I think? Maybe 12, but I deleted those docs and can’t remember if they were completed or not.

Now, counting completed drafts and short stories then we have… eight. I’m pretty sure XD

Oooh, so I have a myriad of ideas in different genres. When I was younger, I would lean towards fantasy. Now, I just come up with whatever. I typically start with the main characters, and then the story builds itself around them. So yeah, currently I don’t have a genre I lean towards, but it might be contemporary. I don’t know for sure, lol.

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Ava Murbarger (Solfyre)
                              @kyronthearcanin
                                • Total Posts: 697

@ellie-wingfeather

Okay, so I disappeared from KP for a while because of busyness but hopefully that’s changing now!! XD

I tend to lean towards fantasy and sci-fi, though I sometimes end up with adventure/contemporary.

I’ve written seven novels. Three in the “Pantoria” series which was co-authored (each one was about 60k), three in the “Twelve Pearls” series which was somewhat similar but written on my own (each from 200-300k), and the first book of Orythian Journeys (I’m halfway through the sequel, too). None of those besides Orythian Journeys will be published though XD Also a novella, which is the prequel to Orythian Journeys. The novella is about 20k and the novels or OJ are just over 100k.

For short stories and flash fiction… I’ve written Through the Fire, His Star, Son of Doubt, The Weaver, An Unseen Hero, and Claimed by Darkness. These are usually from 1k to 7k, most of them on the lower end.

Then fanfictions… two PJO fanfictions, one on my own is 300k and the coauthored one is probably about 20k, still somewhat in progress. A WoF fanfiction of about 100k, a Warriors fanfiction about 50k, a Berinfell Prophecies fanfiction of about 70k, a WFS fanfiction (bigger than the Warriors one but I’m not sure quite how long), aaaaaand… I’m losing track XD

Realize though that this is mostly unusable stuff besides Orythian Journeys because I was a hobby writer at first, so… quantity but maybe low on the quality lol. Plus I’m not publishing fanfictions.

You can make anything by writing - C. S. Lewis

-GRCR-
                                @grcr

@kyronthearcanin

😮 …you wrote a ton…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >