How do y’all keep your focus on the Lord while writing?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Mission, Calling & Ethics How do y’all keep your focus on the Lord while writing?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gwyndalf the Wise
    @gwyndalf-the-wise
      • Total Posts: 404

@anyone who wants to discuss or answer this @freedomwriter76 @loopylin @esther-c @mineralizedwritings @lightoverdarkness6 @godlyfantasy12 @booksandbeakers @orielle21 @folith-feolin @otherworldlyhistorian

So…

I’ve been struggling to remember to focus on God while writing lately, although today was better.

I’ve found that listening to praise & worship music while writing helps me remember to thank Him and think about Him.

What about y’all?

"...I did not say to the seed of Jacob, 'Seek Me in vain..."
      (Part of) Isaiah 45:19

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 8156

@gwyndalf-the-wise. Great question!!!! 🙂

I don’t know if I have a specific “way” I remember to focus on God while writing, but I almost always listen to Christian music when writing (in fact, I am right now!) and with my books being very OBVIOUSLY Christian books with very obviously Christian themes, it certainly helps me remember why I’m writing.

The biggest thing, I think, is that I’ve always made sure to remind myself when I’m writing my books that I’m writing them not for popularity, but to glorify God through writing.

Otherworldly Historian
        @otherworldlyhistorian
          • Total Posts: 219

@gwyndalf-the-wise

I’m not exactly sure what you mean by remembering to focus on God when writing.

If you mean like working God into my writing life/writing for Him then I usually pray/incorporate my book in my prayers. I also think that while we may want our books to do well and such @freedomwriter76 is correct that it is important to keep God first. I also think it is about what works for you as long as your writing is for God and made to please him above all else.

Through darkness,
          light shines brightest

Anonymous
            • Total Posts: 692

@gwyndalf-the-wise

Lots of stuff! Praying, reading the Bible before I start. Looking up verses for my theme is very helpful. Listening to worship music. Idk if that’s what you were looking for but that’s what I do.

Gwyndalf the Wise
            @gwyndalf-the-wise

@freedomwriter76
              Cool!

@otherworldlyhistorian

Heh, sorry I wasn’t clear. I think you summed it up pretty well, though. I meant how do you put God first while you’re writing.

@sarafini

Cool!

Esther
              @esther-c
                • Total Posts: 3221

@gwyndalf-the-wise

…You asked a loaded question… Welp! Here we go! XD

So my thoughts:

Keeping God first when writing is really hard. It’s in our sinful nature to do things that glorify or bring recognition to us. And it’s a temptation that’s hard to resist. Fame is not bad! Don’t get me wrong. It’s just that when that’s all we look forward to, our end goal, then our focus is no longer on God.

What I do, is simply deepen my relationship with Christ. (Maybe not simply, cuz sometimes it is not easy XD) When I study my Bible and have conversations with God daily, it helps my focus ultimately rest on Him. When I’m following Him and spending time with Him, it will tie into my writing. For example: when I spend time with my friends or my family, something they say or do may show up in my writing. Maybe not exactly what happened, but similar. (Idk. Does that make sense?) Following God closely sets my mind on Him; so that will be woven into my writing. (Now I’m not saying I’m a perfect Christian and do my devotions everyday and do everything right. I do not! XD)

Secondly, I also listen to Christian music while writing. While that may be because it’s on my characters’ playlists, I’m still getting that truth in my mind while I’m writing. 🙂

Last of all, reading a few verses concerning your theme or reminding you why you write is also super helpful. I’m going to post some more verses on the topic titled “Encouragement for the Weary Writer” in a moment, so you can go there if you want to see some verses that I like to read often.

I hope any of that helped or made sense! XD Prayer is also a super big part of it. Just asking God to direct out hearts to Him and asking Him to take over the pen will make a difference. 🙂

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Gwyndalf the Wise
                @gwyndalf-the-wise

@esther-c

Keeping God first when writing is really hard. It’s in our sinful nature to do things that glorify or bring recognition to us. And it’s a temptation that’s hard to resist. Fame is not bad! Don’t get me wrong. It’s just that when that’s all we look forward to, our end goal, then our focus is no longer on God.

Yes, yes it tis. And I get what you’re meaning. =)

Following God closely sets my mind on Him; so that will be woven into my writing. (Now I’m not saying I’m a perfect Christian and do my devotions everyday and do everything right. I do not! XD)

Yeah! I’ve noticed that too, usually when I’m struggling the most with my writing it’s usually because I’m drifting farther from Him, instead of getting closer.

Secondly, I also listen to Christian music while writing. While that may be because it’s on my characters’ playlists, I’m still getting that truth in my mind while I’m writing. 🙂

Cool!

Last of all, reading a few verses concerning your theme or reminding you why you write is also super helpful. I’m going to post some more verses on the topic titled “Encouragement for the Weary Writer” in a moment, so you can go there if you want to see some verses that I like to read often.

I’ll do that!

I hope any of that helped or made sense! XD Prayer is also a super big part of it. Just asking God to direct out hearts to Him and asking Him to take over the pen will make a difference. 🙂

It did. Amen, sister!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                >