Hi guys!

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Hi guys!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    rainmaker
    @rainmaker
      • Total Posts: 6

My name is Divinity and I’m new here so hello! Nice to meet you guys! I’m a 20 year old writer who is currently a sophomore in college. I write YA and MG sci-fi and fantasy. Right now I’m revising my cyberpunk dystopia and I’m starting on my historical fantasy murder mystery so that’s exciting. Can’t wait to get to know the community more! I’ll see you guys around!

Allison
      @acancello
        • Total Posts: 838

@rainmaker

Hi Divinity ! I’m Acancello, also known as Allison! I’m homeschooled and  I love guinea pigs, dogs, traveling, acting, trying weird food, writing, reading, talking and a lot more 😁! I write Dystopian and post-apocalyptic books. Oooh! A historical fantasy muder mystery sounds exciting! I’m so glad you could come to Kingdom Pen! OK, now I’ll ask you some hopefully not already asked questions 😉

What’s your favorite book series?

Do you like to do any sports? If not, do you have any other activities you like to do?

How often do you like to write?

What is your favorite character you have written?

Hope you love KP!!

-GRCR-
        @grcr
          • Total Posts: 948

@rainmaker

Hey there!

I’m GRCR! I’m a fiction writer, avid artist, a journalist for my fictional newspaper, and a character lover, (I love my people so much that I wish they were real, lol). I enjoy listening to music and imagining my characters singing the songs. And, I enjoy 2D and 3D animating.

Anyhow, welcome to KP! 😁

Here are some questions for you!

If you have any characters, how many do you have?

Which perspective do you enjoy most: first person (I walked), second person (You walked), or third person (He/she walked)?

And, if you were going to write an entirely original and new book, what would you create first: the world or the characters?

Hope you enjoy KP, and I’ll see you around! 🙃

...i see the world in my head every time i close my eyes...

Cloaked Mystery
          @jonas
            • Total Posts: 2624

@rainmaker

Hi!
            I’m Jonas. I’m a senior in high school, and I’m homeschooled. I write fantasy (I could also see myself writing sci-fi, dystopian, or post-apocalyptic fiction, but I haven’t written anything in anything but fantasy so far), and I love creating magic systems. I also play and design video games and compose music. I’ve played piano for about ten years, and I’m a few months away from earning a black belt in karate.

Questions:

What sort of fantasy do you write? (More traditional medieval European fantasy, more original environments, or a mix?)

Do you like to include magic systems in fantasy stories, and/or technology systems in sci-fi stories? If so, how do you approach them differently?

(Sorry about all the questions being fantasy related. I’m just boring that way.)

See you later!

🏰 Fantasy Writer
            ✨ Magic System Creator
            🎭 Character RPer
            📚 Appreciator of Books

TheArcaneAxiom
            @thearcaneaxiom
              • Total Posts: 1251

@rainmaker

Hi Divinity! (That’s a beautiful name by the way). I’m the Arcane Axiom, I love math, finding divine fundamental truth, and exploring that in my writing. I read/write sci-fi/fantasy, and my current project is a universe I’m working on with my sister called the Septrum.

Questions!

Do you lean towards hard or soft worldbuilding? (hard meaning concrete rules for the reader to understand, vs soft meaning more open possibilities where anything goes.)

What is a favorite mechanic or concept you’ve seen for worldbuilding, character, or writing in general that you’ve seen?

What is a favorite mechanic or concept you’ve seen for worldbuilding, character, or writing in general that you’ve come up with yourself?

What’s the world of your cyberpunk dystopia? What makes this world different?

What’s the world of your historical fantasy? Is it a historical fantasy as in it is set in a fantastical alternate earth history? (Like Temeraire)

And last but not least:

Is the following statement true or false? The answer to the previous question is false.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Sara
              @savannah_grace2009
                • Total Posts: 1986

@rainmaker

Hi Divinity, I’m Sara 🙂 I’m a freshman in high school. You’re going to love KP!

I am working on my WIP, and am trying to fix some problems with it, but I am making some progress (I think???).

I have 2 horses, too many chickens (you can NEVER have too many chickens!!!!), 1 dog, 4 cats, and a herd of cows. We farm and ranch in eastern Montana.

See you around!

Lukas&Livia
                #Lalbert
                Sef&Chase
                #HOTTOLINE
                LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

rainmaker
                @rainmaker

@Acancello

Hi Allison! It’s nice to meet you! And that’s  awesome! I love traveling and reading too!

-What’s my favorite book series? Hmm that’s hard lol. I would say one I’ve really enjoyed is this series called Foxcraft. It’s kind of like Warriors if you’ve read that but it’s about these foxes with magic and it’s actually pretty cool. I also like the Unwanteds series and I’m getting into the Lunar Chronicles series but I’ve only read the first book so far.

I’m not a big sports person but I do like swimming and I love hiking! I wish I could do it more, I love doing outdoorsy kind of stuff.

I try to write as much as I can. Just recently I’ve been getting back into a schedule of writing more consistently. I’m trying to do it mostly everyday.

I really like my character Frances from my dystopian novel. I’m really satisfied with  the arc she has and I really like how sarcastic and funny she is.

And thank you! I appreciate it.

rainmaker
                  @rainmaker

@GRCR

Hello! Ayeee! That’s awesome lol. I feel the same way. Writing characters is just so fun.

-Hmmm I’m definitely going to have to think about this lol. I think counting all my main characters and side characters and combining both of my projects, I think I have about 20.

-I love writing in first person and getting in a character’s head. Granted, I’ve written more in 3rd person recently but 1st person is so fun.

-Characters! Characters! Characters! What can I say? Characters are just so cool. 😂

rainmaker
                    @rainmaker

@Jonas

Hey Jonas! Ohh that’s pretty cool. I’m just getting into how to create magic systems for the first time. And congratulations on your black belt. I used to be in karate as well, although I only made it to my red and white belt.

-I’m writing an urban historical fantasy right now but I’m also willing to branch out into dark fantasy or fairy tale fantasy.

-At least for my sci fi world, my technology isn’t too complicated but for my fantasy one, I’m thinking about including a soft magic system. I’m not sure how I’m going to approach it yet but I think it would be fun to come up with.

Lol and no worries! See ya later!

rainmaker
                      @rainmaker

@TheArcaneAxiom

Thanks! I appreciate it! And that sounds really cool. I haven’t thought of an idea that’s stuck yet but I think it would be fun to write about another universe or space.

-Hmm I think I lean more toward soft world building. While I applaud those who really go into the lore and the culture of their world at least for me, I feel like I get too impatient and just want to start writing haha.

-Hmm for world building, something I like to do sometimes is taking a random character and writing an excerpt to specifically explore the world and see what’s around. I feel like I get a lot more on what the world looks like and it’s a fun exercise.

-So in my cyberpunk world, there’s different levels of the city. The bottom level is where all the citizens live. The second level is where all the shops and entertainment is. And the third level is where all the government officials and richer people live. I think it’s pretty fun. And you can take these things kind of like hot air balloons to go up in down or they have elevators or hovercars or hyperloops.

-As for my fantasy world, I don’t think it’s apart of an alternate Earth history. 🤔 But what I can say is the city the book takes place in is made up. It’s called the City of New Heaven and it’s supposed to be a land of opportunity, set in the mid 1920s. I’m also thinking of adding a lot of fall vibes to it because the book takes place in October. I’m thinking there could be a hint of magic just inside the city but I don’t know what that’ll look like yet.

And I believe the following statement is TRUE!

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by rainmaker.
                        rainmaker
                        @rainmaker

@Sara

Hey there Sara! I totally understand the struggle of that lol. Writing is so hardddd at timeeesss. And ohhh wow! Noice! I just have a cat, a border collie, and then I have a cactus plant I take care of that I named Spike Lee. 😂

Cloaked Mystery
                          @jonas
                            • Total Posts: 2624

@rainmaker

congratulations on your black belt.

I’m not quite there yet, but thanks!

At least for my sci fi world, my technology isn’t too complicated but for my fantasy one, I’m thinking about including a soft magic system. I’m not sure how I’m going to approach it yet but I think it would be fun to come up with.

Cool! I’m very much of a hard magic system person myself (although that is a recent development), but there are definitely some advantages to soft magic systems.

Ooh, Sara’s display name strikes again! Her tag is actually @savannah_grace2009, but there’s someone else with no posts whose tag is Sara. I’ve done it too. These people who make their display names different from their tag just love causing confusion. (jk) (don’t look at my display name lol.)

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                            ✨ Magic System Creator
                            🎭 Character RPer
                            📚 Appreciator of Books

TheArcaneAxiom
                            @thearcaneaxiom
                              • Total Posts: 1251

@rainmaker

Thanks! I appreciate it! And that sounds really cool. I haven’t thought of an idea that’s stuck yet but I think it would be fun to write about another universe or space.

Yeah, it’s a universe where the planets are actually 4d superstructures passing through a 3d cross-section, allowing for essentially unlimited worldbuilding possibilities, where the shape of the planet can change to whatever topology I want. I like to call it a worldbuilding hack!

-Hmm I think I lean more toward soft world building. While I applaud those who really go into the lore and the culture of their world at least for me, I feel like I get too impatient and just want to start writing haha.

Hey, that’s alright! Soft worldbuilding has it’s own set of challenges believe or not. I think soft worldbuilding is actually harder to do well. Too many people think it’s just a way to be lazy and not care about things like continuity, but soft worldbuilding if done with precision and care can create beautiful worlds impossible to achieve with hard worldbuilding. Studio Ghibli I think is a prime example of this.

-Hmm for world building, something I like to do sometimes is taking a random character and writing an excerpt to specifically explore the world and see what’s around. I feel like I get a lot more on what the world looks like and it’s a fun exercise.

That’s a great exercise! You can get to know both the world and your character that way. I like the method of starting with some core concept, then build on it with the natural effects it would have on the landscape, flora/fauna, and people.

-So in my cyberpunk world, there’s different levels of the city. The bottom level is where all the citizens live. The second level is where all the shops and entertainment is. And the third level is where all the government officials and richer people live. I think it’s pretty fun. And you can take these things kind of like hot air balloons to go up in down or they have elevators or hovercars or hyperloops.

Cool! Tiered layer cities has always been a fun concept to play with, like Coruscant from Star Wars for example. It allows you to make a very physical manifestation of the social hierarchy, and other cool concepts to explore.

-As for my fantasy world, I don’t think it’s apart of an alternate Earth history. 🤔 But what I can say is the city the book takes place in is made up. It’s called the City of New Heaven and it’s supposed to be a land of opportunity, set in the mid 1920s. I’m also thinking of adding a lot of fall vibes to it because the book takes place in October. I’m thinking there could be a hint of magic just inside the city but I don’t know what that’ll look like yet.

So the fact that you say it is set in the 1920s suggests that this is earth. When I say alternate earth, I mean it is earth, but reimagined in some way, like a city there that doesn’t exist here, indeed, an alternate history, if it is in the history of earth but something’s different. Fun idea though! Perhaps the magic might take advantage of the fall setting, like something to do with fall leaves.

And I believe the following statement is TRUE!

If the following statement is true, then that means that the answer to the question before is false, because that’s what the statement says, but if that’s true, then that means the statement is false!

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Trailblazer
                              @trailblazer
                                • Total Posts: 599

@rainmaker

Welcome! I’m Janessa, aka Trailblazer, and I write mostly contemporary/historical fiction, but I’ve also done a little in the realm of mystery, and I’ve explored journalism as well. Like you, I’m not much into sports, but I love hiking (and I will use any excuse to get to the mountains lol). I was homeschooled most of my life, but spent my senior year in public school, and I’m currently working full time and writing a lot when I’m not working.

It looks like you’ve already gotten a lot of questions, so I won’t bother you with more! I look forward to seeing you around KP!

"Real love is for your good, not for your comfort." -Justin Whitmel Earley

hybridlore
                                @hybridlore
                                  • Total Posts: 1357

@rainmaker

Welcome to Kingdom Pen! I’m hybridlore, or just Hybrid, a homeschooled sophomore in high school, violinist, and writer. I also write ya/mg science fiction and dystopian!

What is your cyberpunk dystopian about? It sounds really interesting!

I skimmed your responses to everyone else’s questions, and I also really like the Lunar Chronicles! They’re so creative and well-done. I loved finding all the little connections between the real fairy tales and the books. And I also loved warriors, but I stopped reading the later books since I think they got a bit darker.

Anyway, welcome again! I’m excited to talk to you more!

There is always light behind the clouds.
                                  - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >