Heyyyyyyy

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Heyyyyyyy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Emberlynn
    @emberlynn
      • Total Posts: 17

Hey guess I should introduce myself 🙃 My name is not really Emberlynn, and I’ve known Kingdom Pen for 2, maybe 3 years now? But never had a chance to join! I recognize a lot of you from SE tho you probably won’t recognize me (using an alias here 😉).

Anywho, I’m an introverted homeschool grad, and I’ve been writing since… well, really before I could write 🙃 My preference is middle grade fiction (it just fits my style of writing), and actually that’s a lot of what I read too.  Besides that I enjoy studying languages, running, orchestra, playing cello and piano, art,  puzzles, and presently I am pretty obsessed with Studio Ghibli. 😉

Excited to meet you guys!

Linyang Zhang
      @devastate-lasting
        • Total Posts: 1700

@emberlynn Hello! Nice to meet you!

I’m on SE as well, hehet.

Ooh, I like puzzles and piano and languages as well. And I also love Studio Ghibli! What are your favorite films of theirs?

Lately, it's been on my brain
        Would you mind letting me know
        If hours don't turn into days

Gracie J.
        @gracie-j
          • Total Posts: 1789

@emberlynn Greetings and salutations! ‘Tis a veritable pleasure to meet you. *extends hand, quickly grasping the offered one and shaking it perhaps a wee bit too heartily* Three cheers for homeschool! *grins goofily* I’ll be a HS grad in a couple years myself, so it’s great to see a few homeschool vets about.

Enough about that… Middle grade fiction, you say? *scratches her chin* That begs quite a many questions. Have you completed any books? If so, what are they about? What’s your WIP? What’s it about? What is/are your favorite book(s)–read or written? Favorite author(s)? Favorite movie(s)? What are your thoughts on historical middle grade fiction? (It’s an idea I’ve been toying with, you see.) Orchestra, you say? I’ll have to see if you can join the orchestra working on the soundtrack for the upcoming theatrical release of the film based upon my debut novel, which is so not really happening, much to my extreme displeasure. What sort of art do you prefer? (I’ve just come out of an art appreciation class, so I’ve been kind of art-obsessive. It’s weird for me, actually.)

Well, there’s a thousand questions to keep you busy for the next seventy-five years! 😆😊

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Kathleen
          @kathleenramm
            • Total Posts: 635

@emberlynn

A very warm welcome to the KP forum! You have come just in time for the weekly weekend KP bonfire and s’mores. (We don’t really have one but, you know, we can pretend to have one)XD.

I also stalked Kingdom Pen for many years, (like over five many), until I finally joined this year. I was about to ask about your favorite books, when I saw that @gracie-j took care of that!XD She always asks the best questions.

What languages have you/are learning? I really love to study languages, and I hope to learn Spanish, Japanese and Korean. Right know I’m in the middle of studying Korean. I haven’t learned any other foreign languages before, but I must say, it’s quite fun. (and hard).XD

I used to play in an Orchestra as well! Though I was a violinist. How long have you been playing the Cello? It’s one of my favorite instruments, and it’s a shame that not more people play it.

There’s nothing like Studio Ghibli! I’ve only watched Spirited Away and Totoro, but I love them both. No matter how many times I watch them, they never get old. What kind of puzzles do you like to do? And you like to draw or paint?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Kathleen.
            Gracie J.
            @gracie-j

@kathleenramm Aw! That’s oddly sweet of you! Does that mean I get an invite to your bonfire? (I just love s’mores…with the big marshmallows…and lots of chocolate–Hersey’s, preferably. And can we have cushions on the chairs? And hot chocolate? And music? I have a CD you can borrow…assuming people still use those.) Yes, I’m already making myself comfortable. 😉

Elizabeth
              @lewilliams
                • Total Posts: 252

Hello Emberlynn! Welcome to the lovely Kingdom of Pen. My name’s Elizabeth, and I’m one of the interns here. *high five for fellow homeschool grad* *high five for fellow orchestra person* (Violinist here, but I can sort of halfway stumble along with the cello, so I’m very jealous :P)

Middle grade fiction is such a lovely genre (is genre the right word?) that gets too often overlooked. Do you have a favorite book in it?

Languages are awesome! Do you have a favorite?

“Seven seconds till the end. Time enough for you. Perhaps. But what will you do with it?”

Emberlynn
                @emberlynn

@devastate-lasting Thanks! Yes, I remember meeting you on SE 🙃

Nice! How long have you been playing piano?

As for SG…I have too many favorites… Um, Howl’s Moving Castle, Poppy Hill, When Marnie Was There, Arrietty… Those are few of my top ones 🙂 What are your favorites?

Emberlynn
                  @emberlynn

@gracie-j *after regaining her balance, heartily shakes your hand in return* The pleasure is all mine, of course. 😉 Yay for homeschool! There really are a lot us, aren’t there? It seems like a lot of the people on SE were homeschooled, too. 🙃

To answer your questions…:

1. Have I finished any books? No, no I have not.  Unfortunately.  I have been working on one for like… 5 years now tho XD

2. So I’m not sure how much I can tell you about my WIP (it’s a little hard to explain 😉)… But it is a fantasy/sci-fi/adventure story all wrapped into one, and it involves siblings (something I’m very learned about, having seven myself 😛), revenge, magic that isn’t magic, and an entire history of a people that was fabricated.  We’ll leave it at that for now 🙃

3. A few of my favorite books would probably be… Mysterious Benedict Society, The Book Thief, Wingfeather Saga, Narnia, The Lamplighter, LotR, and The Reckoners Trilogy, to name just a few. 😉 What are your favorites?

4. Favorite authors: Trenton Lee Stewart, KM Weiland, Brandon Sanderson, Andrew Peterson, of course CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien 😉 , Louisa May Alcott, Elizabeth Prentiss, Maria S Cummins, Annette Lyster, G. A. Henty… What about you?

5. Favorite movies? Hm… HTTYD, Tangled, Wreck-it-Ralph, of course most any Studio Ghibli film 😉,  Inception, LotR, Mulan, a lot of the old Danny Kaye movies XD, Princess Bride!!!!!, All of the Kendrick brother movies except Overcomer, The Adventures of Tin Tin, and… wow, that sounds like a strange list when put together XD How about you?

6. Historical middle grade fiction is great! I know I loved Dear America/American Girl books as a younger girl, as well as G.A. Henty’s works.  It’s a fun way to learn about history 😄

7. [quote quote=85022]Orchestra, you say? I’ll have to see if you can join the orchestra working on the soundtrack for the upcoming theatrical release of the film based upon my debut novel [/quote]

That sounds fantastic. XD Please do let me know when you hold auditions 😉

8. As for art, I mostly do sketches, but I started experimenting with watercolors maybe was it last year? And so I’m slowly improving with those as well 🙂 I’m hoping to work with clay at some point too, but we’ll see 😉 Do you enjoy any particular art forms?

Whew 😅 Finally got through them all! Nice meeting you Gracie!

Emberlynn
                    @emberlynn

@kathleenramm Thank you! Ooh, sounds wonderful 😄

Well rn I’m working on Japanese… Actually have been since I was eleven… I just haven’t been too consistent with it, unfortunately 😅 It really requires a lot of dedication! Spanish and Korean are ones I’d definitely be interested in learning as well 🙃 What inspired you to learn Korean?

I’ve been playing cello since I was… thirteen?… so I guess four years now.  I agree, it’s hard to find fellow cellists! Do you still play violin?

Those are actually two I haven’t seen, believe it or not. XD My sisters and I are planning on watching Spirited Away this week tho 😉

I like a wide variety of puzzles– From logic problems, to jigsaw, to Rubik’s cube. 🙂 And as for art, yeah, I mostly sketch, but I occasionally will paint too.  Do you draw or paint?

Emberlynn
                      @emberlynn

@lewilliams Thank you! Excited to be here 😄 *high fives back* How long have you been doing orchestra?

I have a few favorite middle grade fiction books, but Mysterious Benedict Society has to be one of the best 😉 Do you have any favorites?

Japanese has been one of my favorite languages for a while.  I’m not totally sure why I first decided to pick it up, tbh 😅 But the more I’ve learned, the more I’ve been fascinated with the language and the culture surrounding it 🙂

Linyang Zhang
                        @devastate-lasting
                          • Total Posts: 1700

@emberlynn Hello!

I’ve been playing piano maybe 11, 12 years? Most of my life haha

Ooh, I love those! My top favorites are Spirited Away and Howl’s Moving Castle. I’ve watched almost all of theirs, I think, except for Grave of the Fireflies. I tried watching that twice but couldn’t get past 20 minutes.

Lately, it's been on my brain
                          Would you mind letting me know
                          If hours don't turn into days

Gracie J.
                          @gracie-j

@emberlynn I know, right? I didn’t realize how big the homeschool community is until now. It’s like suddenly I’m surrounded by fellow homeschoolers and not school kids for once. I love it! 😊

Your WIP sounds great–wait. What’s that you say? 7 siblings? I have six! It’s a rarity to find such large families these days. Are y’all full siblings? (I have to ask; it’s a common question, you know.)

*grins sheepishly, partly because she only recognizes a couple of the series the girl had named and partly because she knows that the girl won’t recognize any that she names either* Anything by Julie Lessman, the Mark of the Lion series, Roseanna M. White’s books (particularly On Wings of Devotion), anything by Karen Witemeyer and Kristi Ann Hunter…I think I like authors more than I do individual books. Make sense? I do like Gone with the Wind…which is an understatement…and I have a fondness for Eugenia Price. Fantasy-wise…Unblemished by Sara Ella–and the other two in the series, of course–was rather good to me.

So there’s that. 😉

I’m finding a lot of people like KM Weiland. I’ll have to try her sometime.

The Princess Bride! Yes! Oh, that is by far the best cheesy movie. in. the. world. And the Kendrick brothers’ movies are all great–but for Overcomer, so I feel you there. Where did that one go wrong? Flywheel and War Room are my faves. Gone with the WindRockyRocky and, you know, the next five, are my favorite movies in the entire universe. I love Rocky. I should write a book about Rocky, actually. Hmm… PotC, of course. Can’t go wrong with Jack Sparrow!

Totally forgot about American Girl! *brain explodes* I keep going back and forth on trying my hand at a historical middle grade series, but I do so like some of the ideas I come up with, you know?

I will definitely call you up…ten years from now, when Jerry finally calls me back. If I can just get a producer… 😆

All these artsy/musical/athletic people! Am I the only one who does nothing interesting?? 😋 No, I do like music and the literary arts…but visual arts-wise, I’m not very good, though heaven knows I keep trying to learn how to paint and draw something other than a flower. (It’s a darn good flower, though.) I do enjoy ballet, though I’m not dancing anymore. What’s your favorite thing to sketch?

Sorry about all the questions! I’m more curious than George himself! 😉 Nice meeting you too!

Kathleen
                            @kathleenramm
                              • Total Posts: 635

@emberlynn

Your list of favorite books did not seem random to me at all, because almost all of them are my favorites as well! It’s so rare to find people who have read The Mysterious Benedict Society, I really enjoyed the first book, but unfortunately not so much of the other books.

I’ve read a couple of K.M. Weiland’s books, what made you like them?

Your taste in film is superb.XD HTTYD? Wreck-it-Ralph? Inception? Studio Ghibli? LotR? Mulan? And all the rest? All are are on my favorite list too!

What made me inspired to learn Korean? Well, I guess it started when my older sister started taking Korean lesson’s from our Korean neighbors who lived across the street. Once she got started, my other older sister wanted to learn, and is now fluent in it. So her being able to speak easily with her Korean teachers and friends is really inspiring to me. I also have been watching Korean shows and dramas since I was nine, and is the main thing I watch to this today. I only occasionally will watch American television. So since I watch so many shows in Korean I really want to be able to watch them without subtitles and get the whole meaning from the original language. Also, about 70% of the music I listen to is in Korean. Korean Indie, R&B, and pop. So yeah, being able to fully understand the lyrics would be awesome. Plus, I really like the sound of Korean. It’s a really pretty language. And the same goes for you and Japanese, and me and Korean. The more you learn, the more you become fascinated with it.

Wow. That ended up being a lot longer explanation than I realized. Can you tell I really want to be fluent in Korean?XD

Yes! I love to sketch and do watercolor. My favorite thing to draw is characters from movies, or my own stories. What are some of your favorite things to draw/paint?

Oooooh, I hope you and your sister enjoy watching Spirited Away!

@gracie-j

Haha, those American Girl books actually inspired some of my earliest novels.XD Who would have thought?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Kathleen.
                              Gracie J.
                              @gracie-j

@kathleenramm I know, right? Samantha was probably the most inspiring to me, and I’ve no idea why. (I think I just liked her era.) It’s a shame the upcoming generation doesn’t have the same kind of educational (and patriotic) fiction to indulge in, you know?

ella
                                @nova21
                                  • Total Posts: 604

@emberlynn

Hey! I’m Ella.  I just joined KP too!  It looks like you’ve already been inundated with questions, so I’ll just say hi! 😉  (Btw, I’m also on SE.  What’s your name there(optional, of course))

what we do in life echoes in eternity
                                  -gladiator, 2000

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >