Hey!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 18

Hello fellow scribblers!

I’m Karilyn. I’m an MK who lives on a ranch in Colorado now. Here’s a few things you may want to know before you want to get to know me:

· I’m not simple. I have experienced many different cultures, and each have contributed something new to my personality and quirks.

· I vacillate between writing how I talk, and how I really want to write. My style kind of turns out to be a mix between an 19th -20th century theologian (e.g. C.S. Lewis, G.K. Chesterton, George MacDonald) and well, a Junior in Highschool. It depends.

· The best compliment you can give is to tell me my writing is witty, clear, and wise. Please slather on both the criticism and the praise liberally.

And some things you might be shocked to find out if you ever meet me in real life:

· Our house is the sort of place where you love to be, and feel comfortable serving yourself grated cheese with your fingers. Casual, but intentional. (My room is usually messy though.)

· I’m probably shorter than you imagined. I’m 5’1”. I’m also probably not growing anymore.

·  I might be kinda muddy because I have a huge Bernese Mtn. Dog who loves to put his paws in my lap to indicate that he deserves love. I also have a Border Collie, who is the boss of the ranch. (And he knows it.)

·  If you actually meet me, you’ll probably think that I’m a bit awkward and shy. Awkward yes; shy, no. I just can’t think of something interesting to say, so I’m just trying to look like my thoughts are as witty as what I write.

Is that enough? Glad to meet you all!

Gracie J.
      @gracie-j
        • Total Posts: 1789

@trulyyours_karilyn Greetings and salutations, Karilyn! Let me be the first to welcome you to the Kingdom of Pen! Allow me to direct you to the KP Cafe before we get started–I have several questions for you, and no doubt you’ll need a coffee (or tea) to get you through them!

#1 When did you first start writing?

#2 What’s your WIP (work in progress) about?

#3 What are your favorites genre(s) to read/write in?

#4 What are your favorite books/authors?

#5 Favorite movies/TV shows?

#6 Have you ever read Gone with the Wind?

#7 Do you have a blog/website?

#8 Where have you lived as an MK?

Answer at your own discretion, of course!

A wee bit about meself: I’m 5′ (and half an inch), so you’re actually pretty tall! XD And I also know what it’s like to volley between a classical writing style and teenager speak! I’m a homeschooled high school sophomore, and I’ve been writing for roughly five years. I self-published my first novel back in 2019, and I’m currently working on my third novel–part of a series all about pirates!

‘Tis a veritable pleasure to make your acquaintance! I hope you find the castle accommodations to your liking. 😉

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Linyang Zhang
        @devastate-lasting
          • Total Posts: 1700

@trulyyours_karilyn So many new people recently! Welcome to the forum! I’m so happy to make your acquaintance! Looks like Grace has landed most of the questions I usually ask, so I shall try to come up with some more.

1. Ah, forgive me for asking, but it appears to me by your profile picture that you are Asian…? If so, which flavor of Asian are you? I’m Chinese, myself.

2. What are some of your other hobbies?

3. Some of your favorite foods/desserts?

4. Pineapple on pizza? Yes or no?

And a bit about myself: I’m around 5’4″, but my mom is 5′, so I don’t think you’re that short. I’m currently a high school senior, been writing for maybe almost 6 years? And am currently juggling several works on crime, fantasy, slice of life, and maybe even a bit of time travel!

Lovely to meet you! Hope to see you around the forum!

Lately, it's been on my brain
          Would you mind letting me know
          If hours don't turn into days

ella
          @nova21
            • Total Posts: 604

@trulyyours_karilyn

Hey Karilyn!!  I’m Ella, and welcome to KP!!  Nice to meet you!!!  Me and my fam serve grated cheese with our fingers, too, so I totally get it. 😉  My family must have been descended from giants, because my brother, who is a senior this year, is 6’5!! 😲  And I’m 5’7 and in the middle of high school!!  If I didn’t play basketball, I’d want to be shorter, because then I could rock in heels. 😋

So what kind of stuff do you write?  I write fantasy, spec-fic, and thriller/suspense.  Are you a planner or plotter?  Plotter for me. Do you play sports?  Like I already said, I play bball and I’m super into running and working out.

Here’s are the two synopsizes for my WIPs, #1:

On October 10, a tremor in the Pacific Ocean caused a massive tidal wave that hit the state of California, wiping it out entirely and killing millions. The floodwaters flowed all the way to the borders of Nebraska. And another one is coming.
            On October 15, Emiyn Martinez was chosen to leave Earth and, with thousands of other prodigies, travel to a new planet to build and repopulate. It’s the chance of a lifetime, but she unwillingly left her family in the process. And she’s determined to save them.
            On October 16, Aven King was left on Earth to die in the next global disaster. Her only friend is a young, injured veteran who was engaged to Aven’s stepbrother before he was killed in a car-crash. Aven wants more than anything to get on the ship that will carry her stepsister to the new planet.
            With opposite destinies and one goal, the sisters will stop at nothing to save each other and their loved ones from impending disaster… all before it’s too late.
            And time never stops ticking. 

And #2:

Seia has lived in isolation her whole life. With an abusive mother, few friends, and no prospects, there is only one thing keeping Seia from running away: her sister, Sadana. Seia’s only wish is to escape with Sadana and find a new life of peace and safety in a far off land. But then the unthinkable happens: Sadana is engaged to one of the most powerful and dangerous men in the empire. Thrown into a world of adventure, Seia must navigate her way through new friendships, danger, mystery, and romance, all to save her sister before it is too late…

Anyways, I’m rambling.  GREAT to meet you!!!!  Don’t be shy (why am I even saying that, you aren’t shy) to join any forum topics and/or share your writing w us!!  😄

✌ ELLA

what we do in life echoes in eternity
            -gladiator, 2000

Wyn Rose
            @wyn-rose
              • Total Posts: 57

@trulyyours_karilyn

Hi Karilyn, welcome to Kingdom Pen! I’m Wyn.

Your home sounds like a really nice place and your dogs sound awesome! (I love animals) I’m about 5’4 (I think? Somewhere around there…), but I’m the shortest in my immediate family and my younger brother surpassed me a while ago. Yeah, I’m not getting any taller either. I have a feeling people get the impression that I’m sort of awkward and shy when they meet me too. I can definitely relate!

1. Who are some of your favorite characters (your own or from other stories)?

2. Do you like art? If so, what form of art?

3. What inspired you to start writing?

Drum roll, please… 4. What is your favorite colour?

I look forward to seeing you around!

Scoutillus Finch
              @scoutfinch180
                • Total Posts: 413

@trulyyours_karilyn

Hi, I am @ScoutFinch180. I love both Border Collies and Burmese Mtn. Dogs. I know a family that has three energetic collies. Do you have horses on your ranch?

Oooo, you write like George Macdonald? What books have you read by him? I’ve read Phantastes, At The Back of The North Wind, The Princess and the Goblin, The Princess and Curdie, The Light Princess, The Day Boy and the Night Girl, and The Golden Key. Mostly on audiobook, but I do have a paperback copy of Phantastes.

What genre do you like to write in? My typical genre is fantasy, but I’m dabbling in sci-fi with my current WIP, it’s either going to be a novel or a series of short stories about a criminal and his brother in a society that has the equivalent of Greek gods for rulers.

We crazy people are the normal ones.

Anonymous

Hey Gracie!

1) I started writing during a very dramatic period of my life-middle school. I tried to write a bit before that, but it was mainly accounts or pirates and pandas.

2) My current WIP is a short story satire along the lines of the Princess Bride, The Light Princess (George MacDonald) and The Father Brown mysteries. (GK Chesterton).

3) I usually enjoy fantasy and mystery, but I write in whatever comes to mind. Rn, I’m really wanting to write gorgeous  picture books.

4) Haha! You just inadvertently openEd a floodgate! Would say…The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley  is one of my ABSOLUTE FAVOURITES! Also, The Man who was Thursday by GK Chesterton is stellar.

5) movies: anything Disney, favourite tv shows: the Mandalorian, Leverage.

6) 😬nope. Haven’t even seen the movie, can we still be friends?

7) No I have neither, I’m too busy with school to try to build a virtual following .

8) Vietnam. Such a different environment than from where I live now.

So glad to meet you! Pirates are my secret family. And they deserve to be represented well, which is why I have attended multiple pirate parties and teas. 🦜

Anonymous

Hello!

1) Yes I’m Asian–Chinese to be exact, also Irish. (Not really Irish, it’s a family joke). I’m adopted, into a very white family. It’s the best.

2) My other hobbies… reading, school, living. I like to sketch a bit, but it’s not really my art form. I do like riding horses, but I’m not suuuuper horsey.

3) Yes pineapple! But on STRICTLY Hawaiian pizzas.

Very nice to meet you!

Do I ask questions back?

Oh well…

1) what is the page count of the longest book you’ve ever read! (Not a series, a BOOK).

2) Pineapple on pizza?

3) What kind of things do you like doing besides writing?

4) What sense do you most value? (Taste, touch, smell, sight, hearing).

Anonymous

“rock in heels,” says you. I would amend, “Fall, stumble, and puncture other people’s feet in heels”….at least in application to me. 😂

I usually attempt to write in fantasy, but rn, my WIP is best described by calling it satire.

Are Plotter and Planner like Panster and Outliner? It depends….I usually think of myself as capable of outlining and stuff, but I normally decide I don’t have enough time to do any of that and fly by the seat of my pants…

I’m into fitness: Fitness taco in my mouth…lolll

Your WIP’s sound so engaging! I am really weak on coming up with original ideas, so I’m usually just inspired by random caffeine-birthed thoughts.

Yeah…I’m not shyyyy, but I am pretty private until I have the courage to step up and display my hearts work. That’s why I joined this right?

Great to meet you!

Lucy Israel
                      @lucy
                        • Total Posts: 30

@trulyyours_Karilyn

welcome!!
                        I have only been on KP for a little while and it’s amazing! I hope you enjoy it as well as I do!
                        here are some questions for you!

1) what do you write about?
                        2) what’s your most favorite thing about writing?
                        3)what’s your favorite color? (Mine is pink!)                                                           4) what do you like to do besides writing?
                        5) do you own any pets?

well, it’s great to have you!

Never Alone,

Lucy.

Anonymous

Hey Wyn!

so nice to meet You! Yesss being short is a struggle, especially when you’re best friends with a girl who is literally a whole foot taller than you, like I am.

1) OK, my top favourite Characters… Harry from the Blue Sword (Robin McKinley), Gen from the Queens thief series (Megan Whalen Turner) and Barbara and Peaceable from The Sherwood Ring by Elizabeth Marie Pope.

2) Writing’s my thing! Also, occasionally art journaling.

3) Reading. I’ve been doing since I first begged my Dad to each me at the ripe old age of 3.

4) ohhhh, I like Navy Blue. Just the colour of the the sky here in Colorado when the sun is jussssstttt down.

Lucy Israel
                          @lucy
                            • Total Posts: 30

@nova21

wow!
                            Your book sounds amazing!! I would totally read it! Are you going to get it published? What is it called? Or have you not picked out a name for it yet? If not, TOTALLY fine! I didn’t name my book I am writing till like, a few days ago! I have been writing mine for some time now, but have only gotten a little bit  into it!

Never Alone,

Lucy.

Anonymous

Hello @scoutFinch180!

A pleasure to meet you!

I do not have horses sadly but am anticipating a new Berner puppy in about a week, and REAAALLLLYYYY want a cute little donkey. (She’ll help keep Thistles down Dad!!)

I love George MacDonald! My current WIP is partially inspired by the Light Princess! I also am in absolute love with the aura of The Day Boy and the Night Girl by him…I have read all of the ones you mention, except Phantastes. Speaking of Phantastes….

Did you know according to Himself, C.S. Lewis (another favourite of mine) attributes part of his conversion process to Phantastes?

Oh wow! Your WIP kind of reminds me of the Queen’s Thief Series by Megan Whalen Turner! Read them?

You should!

Anonymous

Hello Lucy!

1) I write about whatever seems like a good enough idea to write about. I have to be really Caught with an idea to begin writing it about. I tend to focus on quality vs. quantity, but I’m hoping to get better in both.

2)I like how I can communicate ideas, stories, and just make pretty sentences. I’m not nearly as good at talking as I am at writing, so it is just a good way for me to connect, record and come up with witty things to say.

3) Navy Blue! could never get tired of looking at it!

4) I like to read, and have to do school. I do like to hang out with my friends, and I’m involved in teaching a Sunday school class for kids at my church.

5) I have a Bernese Mountain Dog and a Border collie, and going to get a puppy in about a week! There are other animals around, but in all honesty, I don’t really like them, so they’re not with mentioning them.

Anonymous
                                  • Total Posts: 1379

@trulyyours_karilyn

Hello! Let me just say that I love your introduction of yourself. You told us so many interesting facts! (When I came on I was just like um… hi. XD)

What genre of books do you like best to write and read? As for me, I write Biblical fiction and my two WIPs are about St. Paul from the POVs of his younger sister and little nephew. Historical and Biblical fiction are my favorite genres to read. My favorite book of all time is To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, and my second favorite is quickly becoming Les Misérables by Victor Hugo.

Favorite shows and movies? I watch When Calls the Heart nearly every day (yes, I am a weirdo Hallmark enthusiast), and my two favorite movies are Son of God and Paul, Apostle of Christ.

*offers hand* It’s great to meet you!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >