hey people

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE hey people

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    AJ_Serene
    @aj_serene
      • Total Posts: 5

Hello everyone!

So, my initials are AJ, I’m 20 years old and I’m the queen of procrastination. I actually found KP when I was around sixteen; the articles here really helped me to get going with my fantasy novel that I had started back then (which I still haven’t finished) so after my hiatus from writing I decided to properly sing-up. I’m a final year biomedical science student, hence the hiatus from writing, and I usually write almost anything (music, poetry, fiction, essays etc.). I am relatively active on Wattpad, where I managed to complete writing one YA novel, and now I am in the process of getting into actually writing that fantasy novel I mentioned earlier.

I think this should do for now?

Excited to meet you all 😊

Scoutillus Finch
      @scoutfinch180
        • Total Posts: 413

Hello AJ!

I am relatively new to KP, I signed up a few weeks ago and am two years younger than you.

At what point in the process of writing your fantasy novel are you? I am on the revision stage of a short story.

We crazy people are the normal ones.

ella
        @nova21
          • Total Posts: 604

@aj_serene

Hey!  I’m Ella.  I, too, struggle with procrastination. 😄

Do you normally write fantasy, or do you also write other genres?  I write speculative fiction, thriller/suspense, and dystopian books.  My favorite books are the Hunger Games, the Maze Runner by James Dashner, and the Sandcastle Empire by Kayla Olsen.  What are some of your favorite books?

That’s really cool that you are studying biomedical science!!  I don’t know what I want to study, but I’ll probably minor in creative writing.  Or maybe writing will just be a side gig. 😉

My WIP is about a virus that spreads across earth and affects people in three ways:  death, insanity, or immunity.  The MC, Cassie, lives in a Citadel, a place where the population who hasn’t been infected, lives.  People are sent out to find survivors from the Citadels, and Cassie hopes her brother is somewhere out there.  But since the leaders of her Citadel won’t let her go, she must break a bunch of rules to get on board.  And once they land, she is left alone to fend for herself in a barren world, and, with any luck, find her brother.

What’s your WIP about?

Nice to meet you!

what we do in life echoes in eternity
          -gladiator, 2000

AJ_Serene
          @aj_serene

Hey @scoutfinch180

I guess I’m one of the few older members of KP lol.

With my fantasy story, I’m just at the point where the quest is about to begin, the only problem is that I have a massive writer’s block, which I believe is due to my lack of fiction reading. I spend a lot of my time reading scientific journals, research articles and biographical books, which has kind of atrophied my creativity overall.

I thought that maybe being on here would help me to get going with my writing once again.

Enough about me, what is your story about? And have you considered what platform to use to share it with your audience?

AJ_Serene
            @aj_serene

Hey Ella!

Oh I loved reading the HG trilogy and the maze runner! HG was the series that got me fall in love with reading. My favourite books are Percy Jackson series and the Heroes of Olympus series, followed by Harry Potter. Okay, before you all call me a heathen, I read the series before I got born again, and after that I felt too uncomfortable to read them, but it doesn’t change the fact that the story line and the world J K Rowling created are absolutely superb. Other than these books I’d say To kill a mockingbird, A monster calls and All the light we cannot see. I also have a few non-fiction favourites but I think I’ll just start fangirling so, Imma stay quiet and keep my cool.

Your dystopian story seems very current in light of this pandemic. I wonder if you are planning to keep the sciency stuff more general or give more detail on the actual way in which the virus affects the body etc?

Also creative writing seems like a really good choice, especially as a minor. Have you given any thought about what you want to major in?

As for my WIP, it’s about a girl called Shamiah who happens to be a guard in the royal castle of Cyrinx. During a sort of siege on the castle, she is told to throw herself in a portal that leads her in an unfamiliar place, with no recollection of her past. Despite her amnesia, she can only remember someone urging her to run away.

Linyang Zhang
              @devastate-lasting
                • Total Posts: 1700

@aj_serene Hi there, welcome to the Kingdom! Glad you finally decided to join the forum.

You’re on Wattpad? It’s cool to meet another webfiction author. I’m mainly active on Webnovel, though I hope to traditionally publish sometime.

Personally, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with reading Harry Potter; it’s almost better than every other YA book I’ve seen on the market (in both values, plot, character, storyline….you know.) But hey, if you’re uncomfortable, that’s fine too. I also really enjoyed the Percy Jackson series, but only the first one, the second one to me felt like Riordan didn’t really know what he was doing with the direction of the series.  I really love To Kill a Mockingbird as well. Most of my favorites are all foreign classics, however.

Biomedical science sounds really cool and hard. Congrats on making it this far! I’m currently planning on going into computer science next year, with maybe music as a minor.

What are some of your favorite foods and movies?

Lately, it's been on my brain
                Would you mind letting me know
                If hours don't turn into days

Scoutillus Finch
                @scoutfinch180
                  • Total Posts: 413

@aj_serene

Writer’s Block is definitely a struggle. Do you need suggestions for quality Fantasy reading? It’s still cool that you read so much non-fiction, do you think you could use anything you’ve heard about in them for your story?

My short story is a sci-fi about a con-artist/thief/assassin who is on a mission to kill a monster with a human brain.

It is mostly a school project, so I have not really thought about/looked into publishing, but if I did, I would most likely publish it on KP or SE. I have my rough draft posted in the topic My First Sci-Fi Short Story (sounds like a photo album, but true 🙂 ) if you want to read it. I am currently revising and polishing it up. Do you intend to publish yours?

We crazy people are the normal ones.

Kathleen
                  @kathleenramm
                    • Total Posts: 635

@aj_serene

Hi! Awesome to have to on the forum! I too was a passive reader of Kingdom Pen for many years before deciding to join the forum this year.

Your taste in fiction sounds a lot like mine. The Hunger Games trilogy and the two Percy Jackson series are some of my favorite series, along with All the Wrong Questions series. I’m a little curious, what your thoughts about the third Hunger Games book? I know a lot of people have lots of different opinions about it and I’m interested in hearing your perspective about it. Whether it was a strong finally to the series or a letdown. I love hearing different opinions about books that people tend to disagree about.

Oooh, it’s cool that you have a novel on Wattpad! What is it about?

SeekJustice
                    @seekjustice
                      • Total Posts: 3365

@aj_serene

Hello there! I’m Chelsea/SeekJustice, and I’m also twenty, so I guess we can be old together 😛

Ooh, Harry Potter! I only just started reading them (I’m finally up to the Half-Blood Prince) because my mum wouldn’t let me read them when I was younger since she was never a fan of how dark the last few books were (she was an adult when they all came out, and she read them then). It’s completely fine if you feel uncomfortable reading them now, but they definitely are good literature and I also think its completely fine if you like them!

Biomedical science sounds fascinating (but then I’m fascinated by everything science). What kind of stuff does it entail? and what are you planning on doing with it once you’ve finished?

Anyway, very nice to meet you! I hope you’re enjoying yourself so far!

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

AJ_Serene
                      @aj_serene

Wow that’s a lot of people to respond to, I’m not really good at keeping up with this (nor texting lol) but I will come back to all of you as soon as I can. Kinda trying to meet my deadlines for uni 😅

But it’s great to meet you all!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      >