Help Wanted: Plot

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Short Story Critiques Help Wanted: Plot

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Andrew McLaurin
    @raxforge
      • Total Posts: 19

I am a part of a writing class, and I told to write a short story with the prompt, “An underwater school”. And I’m having an understanding of like it is going to be a spy school, but I’m having trouble with the plot (don’t y’all love making the plot).

@RAE
      @GRCR @highscribeofaetherium @hybridlore

"Everything is better when you have cheese."

Esther
      @esther-c
        • Total Posts: 3431

@raxforge

Oh yes, isn’t plot just the best? 🙄

(I’d rather spend time developing the characters, tbh XD)

Found these prompts online: (might help jog some ideas)

Divert from the norm and craft a story revolving around an underwater spy mission involving the legendary sea-monster, the Kraken.

Craft a story where an underwater archaeologist turns spy after discovering military secrets in an ancient sunken ship.

(in your case, a student could find this and use it for like a year-end project or something?)

Some ideas of my own:

• come up with a character first. I find that crafting a character with their goals, dreams, fear, and misbelief can be a great starting point for the story
        • start with the end. What do you want to accomplish in this story? How did the characters get to where they are now?
        • Main Character thinks they are going to a boarding school because their parents want them too. Turns out, it’s a spy school… and it’s underwater. Great… if only their biggest fear wasn’t water.
        • A crazy professor is tired of living underwater, teaching year-round at an underwater spy school. So he decides to make this one exciting school day…

I’m not sure if any of these are exactly what you’re looking for, but I hope it helps spark some ideas!!

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Andrew McLaurin
        @raxforge
          • Total Posts: 19

Thanks @esther-c! Very helpful!

"Everything is better when you have cheese."

Esther
          @esther-c
            • Total Posts: 3431

@raxforge

Glad I could help!!

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

RAE
            @rae
              • Total Posts: 3566

@raxforge

@esther-c
              has some really epic ideas! I don’t think mine can top them!

When you first told me about this my mind immediately thought “Atlantis”.

Thinking about it more, you could do something like the DC universe where Atlantis is basically a country with a king and stuff, and the story is about two atlantian students going on an adventure, or you could not do that and instead do a slightly futuristic story where the ruins of the city of Atlantis is found and students are in a Submarine going to see it on a school field trip but run into trouble and discover something about either the ruins or the sub.

Idk. The last idea sounds more like something I would write than you. And the first is…not too helpful.

You could also do a 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea type story where some students are ship wrecked and rescued by the crew on the Natulous (I think that’s how it is spelled) and learn about the sea and her secrets…but that might deviate a little too much from your prompt. Idk. It also may be hard to write.

Sorry that I’m not too much of a help 🙁

“Gargoyles and thickets, griffins and briskets."
              #BreakTheRecord

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            >