Help Plz!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    GodlyFantasy12
    @godlyfantasy12
      • Total Posts: 6645

Just gonna tag peeps I know XD

@gracie-j
      @devastate-lasting @r-m-archer @kathleenramm (hope that last one was right)

So, worldbuilding my fantasy world and it’s going really well, but I’ve hit a road block in one part….

I want make at least 3 languages (not maybe extensive, but at least some phrases and stuff to give depth) but I’m honestly a newb and not sure how to go about it.

that and the 2 I wanted to use and combine to make one language isn’t common, so I don’t think it’s gonna work cuz it’s hard to find concrete stuff.

I wanted to combine the Native American Cheyenne and Apache languages, but again, not super common so might have to choose something else.

for the other two I’m thinking a variation of Latin (for my Faeries and such) and a variation of Hebrew (for my elves)

I know it’s a thought question, but does ANYONE have ANY ideas on where to even start?? Or really anything at all that might help me because…..ya. Totally newbie, but I really wanna put forth the effort and do it.

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
      #ProtectMarcel
      #ProtectSeb

Linyang Zhang
      @devastate-lasting
        • Total Posts: 1700

@godlyfantasy12 You, my friend, have tagged the wrong people. However, there is one highly esteemed @william-starkey who is the perfect guy for you to go to. He is phenomenal with languages.

Lately, it's been on my brain
        Would you mind letting me know
        If hours don't turn into days

GodlyFantasy12
        @godlyfantasy12

@devastate-lasting

Thx! Couldn’t remember his new thingy XD

SO @william-starkey, any chance you could give me some tips??

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
          #ProtectMarcel
          #ProtectSeb

Jenna Terese
          @jenwriter17
            • Total Posts: 2522

@godlyfantasy12 Ditto what Linyang said. I’m no good with languages. 😉

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
            www.jennaterese.com

R.M. Archer
            @r-m-archer
              • Total Posts: 243

I was going to say the exact same thing Linyang said. XD

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Singer. Worldbuilding enthusiast.

Alien and Sojourner in a Foreign Land
              @william-starkey
                • Total Posts: 634

@godlyfantasy12 Why, hello, GodlyFantasy12. Nice to make your acquaintance. Could I call you Jeff? (Or perhaps if you’re a girl: Edith?)

I think I might be able to help you.

First of all, my advice to you would be to forget all about combining two or more languages of the real world (unless you really just want to). Because you’d have to learn those languages to some extent which could take possibly longer than you might expect. Plus: they are already real. People would probably enjoy a language more if they knew it was all fresh off the paper.

If you do still wish to combine two or more real languages, then I suggest you take a few beginner’s lessons in them just to get a feel for them (or learn about them to some degree somehow). After which you could combine them any way you wanted really.

Another option would be to hire somebody to invent a language for you (in which case their name would appear on your cover/etc.).

If you did attempt your own language on the other hand…You would start with making a few decisions. What do you want your languages to be like? Are they for totally different peoples or not? Do you want to invent your own letters/pictographs/symbols/etc. or are you going to use a writing system from the real world? What do you suppose the general make-up of your language will be syntactically? Do you want to invent a language or just set one up for looks? Do you want to go the long route and actually invent-a-language/mould-two-real-languages-together with the idea of going down and really building up the language (designing a phonology/phonetics, with etymologies, an orthography/etc.)? Or the easy route which would just be for looks mainly? Do you want to understand your language fully or just partially/enough-for-looks? Do you want to be able to write in your language or not? Do you want to spend a long amount of time on your language or not? The list goes on. I just put these up here as a basis, not counting what you said up there (you don’t have to answer them all, or any of them, really).

Yeah, Native American languages aren’t fully known (though they’re really quite intriguing, if you ask me). Latin and Hebrew are great. I’m assuming you mean the modern versions of those latter twosome, right?

If you need any other help, I’d be glad to assist. Sorry if the above writing is a bit confusing/etc. My brain is on vacation right now. XP

(P.S. Need any help/advice on your fantasy world-building/etc.? Because I could assist with that as well if you need any help. Same goes to everybody herein this King’s dominion of Pens.)

GodlyFantasy12
                @godlyfantasy12

@william-starkey

Thank you for the tips! And yea, probably the newer versions. So, I do think it would awesome if I could thoroughly learn about my languages to the point I could one day write using them, but as long as I’m able to achieve the phrases and sentences I need for my series (when I write the series) that will be good.

see, I’m a very visual, imaginative learner, so words like etymology and stuff kinda freak me out XD!!!

I do agree with the learning the languages. And I do have time to devote to that (because my first book in the series with a language is the 2nd, and I haven’t even started drafting the 1st so…ya)

Thank u, and if I have more questions ya mind if I tag ya?

also, I am a girl so Edith is fine. Or, for fun, Edit XD (see what I did there? Probs not Lol)

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                  #ProtectMarcel
                  #ProtectSeb

R.M. Archer
                  @r-m-archer
                    • Total Posts: 243

@godlyfantasy12 This is totally unrelated, but I love your signature. XD

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Singer. Worldbuilding enthusiast.

GodlyFantasy12
                    @godlyfantasy12

@r-m-archer

Thx!!

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                      #ProtectMarcel
                      #ProtectSeb

GodlyFantasy12
                      @godlyfantasy12

@william-starkey

think ive got a plan. Still wanna use the Cheyenne and Apache, but I’m just gonna make a few phrases and words I might need.

as for the other two, I’m really gonna start now in learning the languages a bit. I have time to work on those, and enough time to work on phrases and words for the 1st language. Thx for ur help!

u ever heard of Mondly? I got the app tonight. Gonna see if I like it. Seems cool rn

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                        #ProtectMarcel
                        #ProtectSeb

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      >