Help Please

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    GodlyFantasy12
    @godlyfantasy12
      • Total Posts: 6645

Hi y’all, so I’ve got a bit of an issue I need some help with.

I’m currently drafting and while I know its anything but perfect (which is fine) I’m still struggling with something.

How do you introduce characters into a new world and to new characters without making it rushed and just….blech. Lol.

So a bit of backstory. My two characters, Arabella and November have just been put in Cirque, this entirely different world. THey’ve have a pretty freaky “welcome” and the introduction to Lyn wasn’t great but I was just like “It’s a first draft, don’t think about it.” lol

So, I had them go to sleep because they were tired but now idk where to begin….THey still don’t know anything at all really about this world or the girl they’re staying with, and Lyn is really excited to have new friends, but I’ve no idea how to continue introducing them to everything and introducing Lyn to them.

UGH…..

any ideas y’all?

@gracie-j
      @devastate-lasting @joy-caroline @issawriter7 @Katherine @abigail-m

Ik I forgot ppl.

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
      #ProtectMarcel
      #ProtectSeb

Gracie J.
      @gracie-j
        • Total Posts: 1789

@godlyfantasy12 Oy, good question. I reckon I wouldn’t much know what to tell you, since my few fantasy projects don’t include entering new worlds…yet…but I do recommend reading fantasies that do! Like Narnia, for example…or Unblemished by Sara Ella. Those in particular are portal fantasy, transitioning from the real world to the fantasy one, but the concept is pretty much the same.

My amateur advice would be to take things slow…have your characters ask questions (but not too many, since you’ll want to avoid an info dump)…and reveal new things/people one at a time.

Here, I’mma tag some peeps who can help better than I can… @writerlexi1216 (I’m counting on you to pick up my slack, girl. XD) @r-m-archer @lydia-s @lewilliams @elfwing @scripter-of-kingdoms @yeah-i’m-out-of-tags-now

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Jodi Maile
        @jodi-maile
          • Total Posts: 138

@godlyfantasy12

Ugh, I totally feel this struggle. It does get more difficult to handle characters transitioning to a new world when there is more than one of them, as well. It isn’t impossible, it just gets more challenging.

It sounds like the characters are waking up to a day where there may not be much else to do aside from introduce them to each other. Now, this might not be true (could just be my assumption), but either way, I suggest taking the focus off of introducing them to each other and putting the focus back on the plot, since focusing too much on individual characters can slow the plot or halt it altogether.

I suggest introducing conflicts that push these characters together in a way that also pushes the plot forward, so that they are being acquainted with one another and the new world while they are still doing plot-related things, if that makes sense. I have no idea if this would work in your story, but for example, if your two new characters had to be brought before a town official to be questioned because they were new and from another world, Lyn could have to help them through that process, and they would get to know each other by making it through that conflict together. This is just an idea/example, of course! 😀

Elfwing
          @elfwing
            • Total Posts: 486

@godlyfantasy12

i would say first of all

i LOVE this kind of fantasy!! EEE

also, I would use observation of the people around them

like, to a certain extent observing differences.

also, them being overwhelmed and totally (not) FREAKING OUT would not be unrealistic. I mean, I just did the same to my MC. Well, she was unconscious and it was a different planet not world, but still lol

culture is honestly my go to; clothing, hairstyles, headdresses, way they behave, honour system and respect, Etc.

also: food. Food tells a story of who the people are because depending on where they live then affects food choice

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Linyang Zhang
            @devastate-lasting
              • Total Posts: 1700

@godlyfantasy12 Sounds like Lyn really wants to be their friend. If I were her then I would want to tell them a bit about myself and maybe show them around if they have any questions. Probably the smoothest way to info-dump.

Lately, it's been on my brain
              Would you mind letting me know
              If hours don't turn into days

Alexa Autorski
              @writerlexi1216
                • Total Posts: 1011

@godlyfantasy12

It seems like the forum is eating my reply… If you didn’t get my post, let me know and I’ll re-post it. 🙂

Gracie J.
                @gracie-j

@writerlexi1216 Yep. Eaten. *sighs* I got the email notif, though, so I can copypasta it for you…

Alexa Autorski
                  @writerlexi1216

@gracie-j

Unfortunately, yes (I went to edit because of a grammar error and then it vanished). Oh, that would be wonderful, thank you! 🙂

Gracie J.
                    @gracie-j

@writerlexi1216 Here we are!

@godlyfantasy12

Girl, I totally understand feeling stuck about this, and might I say, @gracie-j, I’m honored that you tagged me! 🙂 Okay, so first of all, this elements sound very hooking and I know it can be a struggle with introducing new worlds/characters in a flash. Seriously, my novel is chock-full of this.

*rubs hands together* First things first, I agree with Grace—reading books with this same concept is very helpful, and I highly recommend Narnia. Focus on the pacing, mostly, because that’s the key to any good introduction—don’t make it rushed (unless it’s necessary), and don’t make it too slow. (And maybe no info-dumps, either, since those are incredibly boring.)

Secondly, one way to introduce the world is through chunks of dialogue, little things like the color schemes, what the people’s attire looks like, what the careers look like, and things of that nature. Make it stand out, and take advantage of the five senses. Seriously. What are they smelling, hearing, touching, et cetera? Little things like that, I find, often help introduce the world the most. Without having the info-dump, maybe have Lyn explain some things to them and show them around. It sounds like Arabella and November came into Cirque pretty quickly, so it’s okay to drag out the introduction because it helps us feel how they’re feeling. So, I would recommend letting out details along the way so the introduction won’t be too quick. Take it slow. Have them find out things about Cirque as the plot progresses, and again, those little details/quirks really make a difference.

And now about introducing characters. It can be a little boring reading the long, monotonous descriptions of hair color, eye color, et cetera, so maybe change things up a bit. What is the character’s posture like, or how do they carry themselves? What are little quirks about them that make them stand out? What’s their hairstyle, skin color, and how do they behave? Do they ask a lot of questions, or are they the quiet type? And I agree as well with @jodi-maile about bringing them into a conflict together. This is SUCH a great way to introduce characters as well as continuing to push the plot along. I would also recommend introducing Lyn by having them go through a conflict–that’s by far one of the greatest ways to introduce characters. You could show a lot of Lyn’s personality by how she introduces them to Cirque as well, or how she answers their questions about this new place. (It could also help introduce the world if you show us Lyn’s opinion of Cirque. Does she like it, or have a negative view of it?)

I hope that helped you, girl, and if you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask! (Hopefully that wasn’t confusing at all, but I’m dealing with the same issues myself, per say.) I wish you the very best of luck with this! 🙂

Alexa Autorski
                      @writerlexi1216

@gracie-j

Girl, you’re a lifesaver! Thank you so much! 🙂 *shakes fist at forum and demands justice for all the eaten posts*

Lydia S.
                        @lydia-s
                          • Total Posts: 399

@godlyfantasy12

I know I’m late, I’m so sorry! Life became a whirlwind of activity, and I haven’t been able to get on here until now.

One way you can have the girls meet Lyn is to have them wake up to her examining them. From there, they can panic, thinking she’s going to hurt them, and you can have a lovely scene of confusion. 😉 Or they could be dazed and ask who she is, and you can have a quick explanation.

You probably already figured out a way to introduce them to her, but I thought I’d throw this out. Go get ’em, girl! <333

Abigail.M.
                          @abigail-m
                            • Total Posts: 1242

@godlyfantasy12

I think Alexa’s advice is awesome:D Definitely reading those types of stories will help… um, also one thing to consider is the personality of your character. Now that sounds strange, but when I look back at the books and movies I’ve watched with a character getting thrown into a completely different world or situation, (while they’ll have similar human nature reactions like fear and confusion) depending on their character, their reactions and the severity of their reactions can differ.
                            When I watched Enchanted (honestly I spent half the movie pointing out inconsistencies in plot and flat characters and etc, but I do that a lot to all movies), but the point is, is that due to Gazelle’s naive and innocent nature, she starts moving frantically through the crowd and starts mistaking things on Earth for things in her world, (like mistaking a short businessman for Grumpy from Snow White).
                            Another example is two superheroes from a show, and the first time that they transform, they react differently to the new phenomenon. One is clumsy and unsure, thus becomes terrified and confused during the transformation. Whereas the other is more confident and is ready for some new freedom and acts as if their whole had led up to the moment.
                            And depending on how extreme a change it is can affect the characters too. If the world melts away into a pulsing, glowing, crazily operated world, the characters are more likely to become scared than a more simple alternate reality. And it can help to imagine what you’d do if you’d just been whisked into that world. What would you notice first? What stands the greatest contrast? What are similarities that the characters might take comfort in? Or do the characters prefer a change? Questions are always an indispensable tool to have for all aspects of writing or any art for that matter:)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          >