Hello There

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Hello There

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Gracie
    @graciegirl
      • Total Posts: 889

@widdrim Zikers, I am SUPER excited now! 😀 Rogue One is my favorite movie of all time.

*is probably geeking out about something*

Anon
      @theliterarycrusader
        • Total Posts: 64

@widdrim Hmm, advice. 🙂

1. If you plan to edit books, get a copy of The Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition) or subscribe to the online version. Although it’s not the only resource you’ll need, it’s the main one.
        2. Don’t give up (if you’re planning to go freelance, it’s a very competitive field).
        3. Train yourself to pay attention to even the most minute details. The better you are at catching errors and weaknesses (even in your own writing), the more adept an editor you’ll be.
        4. Take courses on the type of editing you’d like to specialize in (whether copyediting or substantive editing—and if you don’t know the difference in those terms, you’ll need to learn).

Snapper
        @dragon-snapper
          • Total Posts: 3515

@widdrim Obi-Wan is my favorite in the prequels, and Han Solo is mine in the originals.
          I’ve been playing for six months or so now… 😛 But I’ve been playing guitar for 2-4 years.

@graciegirl
          Ah, I’ve seen Rogue One as well.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Northerner
          @northerner
            • Total Posts: 244

@Widdrim

Ave (Latin)
            Eala/godne daeg/god morgen/god aefen (Old English)
            Mae govannen (Elvish, of course)
            Hola (Spanish)
            Guten Tag/Guten Morgen (German)
            Bonjour (French)
            Hello, hi, top o’ the morning to you, etc. (English, obviously)

Okay, that’s only seven.

Lilith. . . is that a story? Involving a raven who’s also Mr Raven who’s also Adam? That was by George MacDonald, not Chesterton. But it’s a good story in its own right.
            Orthodoxy is really good. So is Manalive. We have the Complete Father Brown, which isn’t a small volume. Which do you like better, Father Brown or Sherlock Holmes?
            The Man Who Was Thursday is a good story, but very misunderstood. The subtitle is “A Nightmare” and if you know that the story makes a lot more sense than it otherwise would, but hardly anybody notices the subtitle. The Napoleon of Notting Hill and The Ball and the Cross are two of my favourite novels of his.

Emma Flournoy
            @emma-flournoy
              • Total Posts: 1352

@Widdrim Hey! Glad to have you.
              Read any Tolkien? How ’bout Les Miserables?

Widdrim
              @widdrim
                • Total Posts: 16

@graciegirl Good for you!

@dragon-snapper
                Rogue One was fantastic! How dare the characters make me care and then do THAT?

@emma-flournoy
                I love Tolkien! I, a terrible English major, have never read Les Mis unless you count a little abridged version. The story is beautiful though.

@northerner
                Oops! George MacDonald did write that. The consequences of reading too many authors who influenced each other haha 🙂 I would vote Father Brown because it’s fun detective stories, but the way he presents apologetics of the Catholic Church makes me a bigger fan of the good father than Sherlock Holmes (even though he’s pretty good too).
                Interesting. I’ll keep that in mind.

Snapper
                @dragon-snapper

@widdrim Agh! Or as @graciegirl would say: Zikers! So mean. I wasn’t expecting any of that. Thank goodness for the comic relief droid!

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Gracie
                  @graciegirl
                    • Total Posts: 889

@widdrim @dragon-snapper Ah, yes. Rogue One…that ending. *chokes back tears*.

But K2 was hilarious! I loved him. *gulps back tears again*

Ah, you’ve caught on to the zikers thing, huh? ☺️ What can I say? I’ve always wanted to have my own exclamation thingy.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Gracie.

*is probably geeking out about something*

Emma Flournoy
                    @emma-flournoy
                      • Total Posts: 1352

@Widdrim You should read the whole Les Mis if you ever get time. It’s so good. 🙂

I like your profile pic, btw. Such pretty leaves.

Widdrim
                      @widdrim

Okay 🙂

Aw, thank you! I like yours too; it’s bright and calm.

Snapper
                        @dragon-snapper

@graciegirl Yes, K2! Where would anyone be without K2?

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Ethryndal
                          @ethryndal
                            • Total Posts: 1013

@Dragon-Snapper I find that answer vague and unconvincing…

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Snapper
                            @dragon-snapper

@ethryndal
                              *IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN ROGUE ONE: SPOILERISH INFO AHEAD*
                              Hmm…without K2, there’d be no Jyn. With no Jyn, there’d be no plans. With no plans, there’d be no rebellion. With no rebellion, there’d,,,,be,,,,,,no,,,,,,STAR WARS!!! AAAAHHH! *runs from the Death Star*

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Northerner
                              @northerner
                                • Total Posts: 244

@Widdrim, so are you Catholic then? I prefer Father Brown too, because he looks at people as people and not just collections of facts, and he uses the knowledge he’s gained “by being a celibate simpleton, I suppose”, in his own words, to understand them. Probably my favourite of his is The Blue Cross. “You attacked reason,” said Father Brown. “It’s bad theology.” That quote comes in handy quite a lot.

Ha, famous authours get mixed up a lot. Moses has been said to have written part of 1 Cor. 15; Paul, it seems, had a hand in Psalm 90; Jonathan Edwards and G. K. Chesterton have seemingly both laid claim to writing The Abolition of Man, which is everywhere else attributed to Lewis. And that’s just from my own experience and what I’ve overheard.

Oh, and where does your name come from?

Widdrim
                                @widdrim

@graciegirl and @dragon-snapper I was internally screaming the last 5-10 minutes of Rogue One. So many tears. A lot of laying on the floor afterwards.

@northerner
                                  Well, doctrine-wise I’m pretty Protestant, but I have a lot of respect for a lot of Catholicism, especially their architecture, writing, and theology of beauty and art. So… aesthetically Catholic? Maybe?

Widdrim is Old English actually 🙂 It means a state of confusion or madness/great mental excitement.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >