Hello!!!

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Hello!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Fernweh_Grace
    @fernweh_grace
      • Total Posts: 70

*timidly tiptoes in*

Hello, peoples. I’m obviously new here, and will most likely start this out feeling extremely awkward. Here goes nothing.

My name is Kathryn, and I am a young Christian writer who tells stories for the Kingdom. I write fiction, fantasy, poetry, liturgies, a few songs, and all the little in-betweens. I love to explore, garden, draw maps, read, stare at moss, and play the piano.

I love old stories with old souls, and new ones too. My favorite authors are C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, George MacDonald, Andrew Peterson, and S.D. Smith.

I like to listen to piano music, instrumentals, soundtracks, a handful of song artists (many of whom are connected to The Rabbit Room), Celtic music, a handful of Irish folk, Keith&Kristen Getty, and um… Afrikaans Christian rock.

I am a missionary kid and third culture kid. *waves* I hail from the Kingdom in the Sky. Seriously. But hey I claim at least 3 countries as my ‘home’: The United States, South Africa, and Lesotho. I’m legally American, but like slowly morphing into part Basotho, and dream of being part Afrikaans. It would be an understatement to say that I love geography, culture, languages, and crazy new foods. And if you want to know my African name, I go by Ausi (sister) Lendewe. I also play the role of ‘tannie’ (auntie) for 2 honorary nephews and 6 honorary nieces. They’re all adorable and you can’t convince me otherwise. (:

My favorite drinks are rooibos tea and hot cocoa. Concerning foods, I am head-over-heals in love with feta cheese, koeksisters, bobotie, shepherd’s pie, and dark chocolate. I will also consume whatever random fruit I find in sight that I deem edible. My favorite flowers are proteas, sunflowers, and cosmos.

I write to make nests for those in need of a home. I don’t have a physical home that will always be there for me, but I have found my home in Christ, and it is a deep, safe, warm home full of wholeness.
      How can I not follow my Father by making nests for those who come behind? I write to make nests for the Kingdom, though they are temporary.
      It was once said- I believe at Hutchmoot- that the most homeliest stories draw you in near the fire into a cozy haven, but the reader isn’t meant to stay forever. They have to leave the nest, but the stories they carry inside prepare them for what is ahead.
      My prayer is that others would be drawn into the nests I’ve prepared and find rest in their souls.
      I want to give them the hope I have in Christ. I want to love people into the Kingdom, and God has equipped me with stories.
      Yet I also want those same souls to rise up from the haven and leave, more readily equipped for the adventure that lies ahead.

hybridlore
      @hybridlore
        • Total Posts: 1359

@fernweh_grace

Hi Kathyrn, welcome to Kingdom Pen!

I’m hybridlore, or Hybrid, a Christian homeschooled teenager, violinist, and writer. I mostly write science fiction or dystopian ideas, and I love Andrew Peterson and instrumental music as well!

That’s awesome! How long have you lived in Africa? I really like geography and learning other languages too (I’m taking Spanish right now for school) but I’ve never been out of the US, lol. I’m sure it’s a lot different there!

What’s your WIP about?

And I know you mentioned a bunch of your favorite authors already, but do you have a favorite book/series?

There is always light behind the clouds.
        - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

-GRCR-
        @grcr
          • Total Posts: 949

@fernweh_grace

*busts through door crazy-laughing and looks around* Oh, um… hi!

I’m GRCR! I’m a fiction writer and artist (and a journalist for my fictional newspaper lol)

Welcome to KP, Kathryn! 😁

Three countries?! Thats really cool! Which one do you like best?

Do you have any characters? If so, how many?
          Which perspective do you enjoy most: first person (I walked), second person (You walked), or third person (He/she walked)?
          If you were going to write an entirely original and new book, what would you create first: the world or the characters?
          Alright, thats enough from me! Hope you enjoy KP, and I’ll see you around! 🙃

...i see the world in my head every time i close my eyes...

Fernweh_Grace
          @fernweh_grace

Hello @Hybridlore!

I’ve lived here since 2018, but my family has been to the States once since then. Yeah, living here is a lot different then America, but I love it. I love mountains and we live in sight of the Drakensburg/Moloti mountain range, so whenever I see the mountains on a clear day, it makes me happy. (:

My WIP is something I’ve been working on for over a year now. It’s… very unique, I’ll say that. I built a world where the cultures, people, geography, and even some language terms are built around southern African tribes, some Middle Eastern cultures, and whatever else I throw in. Because I draw from real things, it makes my stories and places feel real. I love to write about the place I live, but in story form, so that when someone picks up my words, they feel drawn into the culture and place without even realizing that what they are experiencing was written by an MK who wanted to show others her world.
            Anyway… long ramble there… but my story is currently called The Chronicles of Ellislan. I have a blurb of it floating around somewhere, but yeah I need to find it first.

hmm… favorite books…

Phantastes by George MacDonald

The Chronicles of Narnia

Out of the Silent Planet

Lord of the Rings

The Light Princess

The Wingfeather Saga

The Green Ember Series

The God of the Garden

Mere Christianity

And there’s a lot more but I think I can stop there. 😆

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by Fernweh_Grace.
            hybridlore
            @hybridlore
              • Total Posts: 1359

@fernweh_grace

Oh, okay! Really? I love mountains too XD I’ll have to google that range, but I did see pictures of Lesotho and it looked really pretty! Is it very remote where you live?

Ooh, okay, awesome! It sounds pretty cool, I would love to hear about the plot if you want to share it! Is it fantasy?

I loved the wingfeather saga, narnia, and out of the silent planet too! Mere Christianity was also pretty good, but some parts went over my head xD

I’ve never heard of Phantastes or the Light Princess, but I have read the Hobbit and half of the first LOTR book. It ended up being due at the library so I never finished it, but I’ve been meaning to for a while xD Someday I’ll get to it. There is a lot of fans on here, though.

There is always light behind the clouds.
              - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

Fernweh_Grace
              @fernweh_grace

Hi @grcr!

*laughs* goodness, you sound like a Ydubber… you wouldn’t have to be one, would you? I was a member of the Young Writers Workshop for awhile, but I had to leave. You just sound exactly like some people I know… idk maybe just teen writers act like that in general. I wouldn’t know the difference. XD

Favorite country…. eesh I don’t know if I could choose. Each country has its benefits, and each has its problems but I will say that the geography in all three is awesome.

I’ve been writing stories since 2018, so I have plenty of characters…. at least a hundred last time I counted, which was last year, but that was counting every single person with a name that ever showed up in any story. On average, I have 2-3 main characters in my different stories, or sometimes side main characters will transition roles while the one character stays in the center of the story.

So that’s the crazy thing…. I’ve done some massive worldbuilding in my current WIP, whereas I had to backtrack a lot for the MC, I have also been known to create two characters and their backstory based off a handful of songs and a crazy dream I had. Usually the characters come before the world, but both develop pretty quickly. Sometimes I have a random idea or feeling, and start off from there.

Cloaked Mystery
                @jonas
                  • Total Posts: 2624

@fernweh_grace
                  Welcome!
                  I’m Jonas, alternatively (and more interestingly) known as “Cloaked Mystery.” I’m a homeschooled, Christian writer. My main genre is fantasy, and my main project is an interconnected fantasy universe involving multiple planets.

Questions (I’m like the fourth newest person here, so I haven’t done this before, but here goes.):

What’s your favorite genre to write/read?

Have you included magic systems in any of your fantasy writings, and if so, do you prefer hard magic systems or soft magic systems?

See you around!

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                  ✨ Magic System Creator
                  🎭 Character RPer
                  📚 Appreciator of Books

-GRCR-
                  @grcr
                    • Total Posts: 949

@fernweh_grace

lol! No, I’m not a Ydubber. 😅 It must be a teen thing.

I agree.

Same, I’ve been writing since then too (or around that time anyway).

I see. 🙃

...i see the world in my head every time i close my eyes...

Fernweh_Grace
                    @fernweh_grace

@Hybridlore

Yeah, it’s really pretty, especially in the rainy season. We’re not really remote, though I do live in a village. I live close enough to the capital city, Maseru, that I can see it off in the distance.

I had another synopsis for the prologue story… but for the life of me I cannot find it. *groans* But I found this one that I wrote.

Darius is labeled as a traitor among his own people, yet if he was a traitor, why did he come back? Ellislan has been on the verge of a second war for the past two centuries since the alpha tribe split, but now the scales have tipped, and no one can stop the bloodshed from happening again.

Tamara’s brother, Xavier, is the future heir of Dragon, the alpha tribe of Northern Ellislan. She knows that he’s strong and that his heart wants peace, but when he leaves for war, she is suddenly faced with ruling alone. Her greatest fear is that he won’t come back. Violence took her father’s life and she’s afraid that the same monster will take Xavier too.

Xavier has all the missing pieces in his hands. He knows the truth, he’s heard the whole story, but he’s running out of time. The future of his tribe rests on his shoulders, but the only way to reconcile his people is to put his life on the line for a traitor- the traitor who is his friend.

Yeah, I really loved reading Mere Christianity, but I found it’s best to read it in like, 1 chapter doses, and away from noise when you can actually focus.

Phantastes and the Light Princess are both stories written by George MacDonald, and he was one of the major writers who influenced C.S. Lewis. I love reading his stuff. The Light Princess is a short story or novella, and Phantastes is a novel.

Fernweh_Grace
                      @fernweh_grace

@Jonas

Hello!!

Hmm, my favorite genres to read are probably fiction and fantasy, and those are also the genres I write in the most. I also like historical fiction and some nonfiction.

Yes, I’ve had some magic systems. When I first started writing, I was invited to pro-create in a world two other MKs had been working on. We eventually became best friends, and even years later we sometimes still write together.

My current WIP doesn’t really have a magic system at all, but I’ve also been working on a story with my best friend where we based the entire magic system off of the lunar calendar and faerie magic. It’s pretty complicated but a lot of fun.

Cloaked Mystery
                        @jonas

@fernweh_grace

Cool! Fantasy is definitely my favorite too. What exactly do you mean by “fiction”? Wouldn’t any sort of novel be fiction, as opposed to nonfiction?

That lunar magic system sounds cool! Would you say it’s a hard magic system or more soft?

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                          ✨ Magic System Creator
                          🎭 Character RPer
                          📚 Appreciator of Books

Trailblazer
                          @trailblazer
                            • Total Posts: 600

@fernweh_grace

Welcome! I’m Janessa, aka Trailblazer, and I’m still fairly new here, too! I write a lot of contemporary fiction and also historical fiction, and I’ve tried my hand at mysteries, too. I’ve done some journalism, and I enjoy photography, especially when it involves mountains! I like to get out and hike, but unfortunately I don’t live close to real mountains (just hills that I’ve discovered can’t really be called mountains lol).

My parents have both been involved in missions before I was born, and my dad is currently the missions pastor at my church so I’ve had more exposure to different cultures than a lot of my peers. There’s not really one country I’m drawn/called to, but I love exploring cultures and learning about different parts of the world!

Also, your WIP sounds interesting! I’m excited to hear more about it!

"Real love is for your good, not for your comfort." -Justin Whitmel Earley

HighScribe
                            @highscribeofaetherium
                              • Total Posts: 2230

@fernweh_grace

I posted from my phone, but apparently it lost its way *facepalm*

Anyway, hello! I’m Jonas Cloaked Mystery’s (younger and infinitely more mature) sister. You can call me Bridget, or HighScribe. I love literally EVERY SINGLE one of those authors you mentioned, and the books, too (except for Mere Christianity and Phantastees, which I haven’t read ((yet))). I, too am a fantasy writer. Your WIP sounds amazing, plz tag me if you share more 🙂

I can’t think of any questions at the moment, so I guess I’ll see you around.

It's harder to make a square evil than it is a triangle.

Annoying side character of the KP cast.

Cloaked Mystery
                              @jonas

infinitely more mature

Oh really? 🤨

except for Mere Christianity and Phantastees, which I haven’t read ((yet))

Weren’t you supposed to do Mere Christianity for school, but you revolted? (Retaliation complete.)

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                                ✨ Magic System Creator
                                🎭 Character RPer
                                📚 Appreciator of Books

HighScribe
                                @highscribeofaetherium
                                  • Total Posts: 2230

@jonas

Yes 😁

And Mere Christianity was on the schedule, yes, but due to a variety of events, we decided to wait until next term.

It's harder to make a square evil than it is a triangle.

Annoying side character of the KP cast.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >