Hello!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ben Dykes
    @ben-dykes
      • Total Posts: 6

So, my name is Ben, and I joined this community a few days ago. I am looking forward to participating. I write Adventure fiction and Sci-Fi. My goal as a writer is to fill in the lack of action in books. I have written 1 full-length novel and a series of 5 short stories.

If anyone has any advice on how to navigate this community, I’d like to hear it!

Linyang Zhang
      @devastate-lasting
        • Total Posts: 1700

@ben-dykes Hi there, welcome to the Kingdom! I’m Linyang, though most call my Lin here. Lovely to have you!

My advice? Always check the recent topics tab, and comment on whatever recent threads you wish. Oh yeah, and when replying to people, copy and paste their tag from underneath their name on the left. It helps.

On that note, do you think that pineapple belongs on pizza?

Lately, it's been on my brain
        Would you mind letting me know
        If hours don't turn into days

Ben Dykes
        @ben-dykes

@devastate-lasting Nice to meet you, and thanks for the advice! I’ve never tried pineapple pizza before, so I have no opinion on that.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Ben Dykes.
          Elizabeth
          @lewilliams
            • Total Posts: 252

@ben-dykes Hello and welcome to Kingdom Pen! We’re very glad to have you here. I love your profile picture, by the way; it’s very cool. As for advice, I would echo what Lin said. There are a few threads where people gather just to chat; the Writer’s Corner, for example, as well as the WIP Chat thread tend to be helpful. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! Looking forward to seeing you around 😀

“Seven seconds till the end. Time enough for you. Perhaps. But what will you do with it?”

ella
            @nova21
              • Total Posts: 604

@ben-dykes

Hey Ben!  I’m Ella.  Welcome, welcome!  Ooo, cool!  You want to write more action in books?  Cool.  I like to write YA dystopian and thriller/suspense mainly.  My WIP synopsis is:

24 miles off the Island of Camino, a commercial airline goes down in the Pacific. Only one passenger survives.
              Dylan, an orphan-turned-foster child, was living with his uncle when he got the chance of a lifetime: travel to the ideal vacation destination, Camino, for a three-week internship. It’s the chance of his dreams, but it all goes terribly wrong when his plane crashes and he’s stranded alone on the ocean, fighting to stay alive.
              Drifting in and out of reality, Dylan wakes up on a beach with two strange girls standing over him. This island isn’t Camino——in fact, it’s the opposite of the lush, high-end place. And as it turns out, the girls aren’t the only inhabitants. This island is a clock-work mechanism, with each member doing their job to keep it in order. But after Dylan’s appearance, disastrous events begin to happen on the island. Inexplicable and far too coincidental, the inhabitants begin to turn hostile.
              Soon, Dylan is not only trying to get home, but fighting for his life.

What’s your WIP about?

Some tips… ummm.  If you like writing sprints/word wars (aka competitive writing) then you should check out the “Official Writing Sprint Leaderboard.”  You just tag people and hope they’re writing. 🙂 That’s pretty fun.  Also, if you tap “forums” underneath the “recent topics,” you can see which users are online, so you know who to tag if you want an immediate response.

Anyways, have a good time on KP!

what we do in life echoes in eternity
              -gladiator, 2000

Anonymous
                • Total Posts: 1379

@ben-dykes

Hi, Ben! I’m Joy, and I write Biblical fiction. I think Adventure fiction is awesome, and sci-fi is also super cool!

As for tips, I’d recommend just joining any conversation you’d like. 🙂 We’d all be very happy to hear your thoughts and get to know you better, so don’t be afraid to participate in all the topics!

Precious Y
                @precious-y
                  • Total Posts: 27

@ben-dykes

Hey Ben! I’m Precious and I’m also kind of new here. I’m also interested in writing science fiction and fantasy and I’ve read some cool adventure fiction. I think that Brandon Sanderson brings the best of these worlds together. I’d recommend The Reckoners series (I read the first one and it’s great). I’ve also heard that Mistborn is a heist based fantasy which seems cool. So you might want to check that out.

What are you favorite adventure and science ficiton books. Or books in general? Can’t wait to hear from you!

Kathleen
                  @kathleenramm
                    • Total Posts: 635

@ben-dykes

Hey! Nice to meet you! It’s Awesome to have you here in the Kingdom!

How long have you been writing?

Also, congrats on writing your first full length novel! The first one is definitely the hardest. ( At least from my experience).

As for tips on the forum, every week on Friday the forum moderator ( aka me) asks a writing related question in the “topic of the week” category for any and all to answer. It’s a fun way to get to know each other and our stories better.

Before I head, I have one last and extremely important question to ask you… McDonald’s or Wendy’s?

Ben Dykes
                    @ben-dykes

@lewilliams Thanks for the advice!

Ben Dykes
                      @ben-dykes

@nova21 Your WIP sounds cool! My WIP is sci-fi, it is just about a big war. Thanks for the advice!

Elfwing
                        @elfwing
                          • Total Posts: 486

@ben-dykes

Hi there!! Good to meet you! As far as advice, I’d say don’t be shy to ask anything you want answers for, the people on here are very friendly and even though I’ve only been on here a couple months its been so so helpful for my writing journey

I don’t bite unless provoked and am generally amiable and happy unless I’m too hot, too cold, around people I don’t like, haven’t slept at least eight hours, haven’t had morning coffee and tea or am otherwise lacking in comfortableness. (mostly kidding)

I like writing and reading about wars; not that I think they are a good part of history per se, but they have an unexplicible fascination for me.

So… *cracks knuckles * what is your least favorite flavor of ice cream?

What kind of music do you like?

By the way, if you like sad-ish music, check out Fare Thee Well by the Rankin family.

Also, check out Homecoming by Florian Bur; it is one of the most beautiful songs i have ever heard in my life. I highly recommend it.

Do you like dogs or cats better? or neither?

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Lydia S.
                          @lydia-s
                            • Total Posts: 399

@ben-dykes

Well, I am unfortunately quite late, but welcome to the KP forum!

Wonderful genre choice! I’d love to attempt writing sci-fi someday; what do you enjoy most about it? And congrats on finishing a novel!!! It takes a lot of work and determination to get to that point.

Here are a couple questions, if you’d like to answer them:

1) What are yourtop three favorite books?

2) What is your favorite mythical creature?

3) (This is my favorite question to ask XD) Who is your all-time favorite book character?

Ben Dykes
                            @ben-dykes

Sorry I haven’t replied yet everyone; but I’m still alive and will get to it soon!

Beth Darlene
                              @beth-darlene
                                • Total Posts: 34

@ben-dykes

Hello!! I don’t know you at all 😉

Jominkreesa!
                                #justiceforadamtoledo

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              >