Have you read…?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions Have you read…?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Daeus
    @daeus
      • Total Posts: 4238

@Christi-Eaton Hmm, looks like I can reserve an ebook collection of it from my library, so I’ll give it a try.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Greta
      @gretald
        • Total Posts: 450

@Bluejay, No, I haven’t read Presumption, but I love Pride and Prejudice, so I’ll have to check it out. 🙂 I’ll have to read Fairest and the others you mentioned, too. I have so many books I want to read!!!

Sarah Hoven
        @sarah-h
          • Total Posts: 669

@Christi-Eaton It’s mainly the romance I was worried about, but if that’s not an issue, I’ll definitely read them. I really like novels about the Early Church, and I haven’t been able to find many.

Christine Eaton
          @christi-eaton
            • Total Posts: 306

@sarah-h, As far as I can remember the romance doesn’t go in depth. (And I’m rather certain it doesn’t) There might be a little more in the last book, but I can’t remember. However, in some of Francine Rivers’ other books, it tends to go a little further, so I would stay away from Bridge to Haven and Redeeming Love. What you could do is have your mom or someone read it first and then tell you if you can handle them. That’s what I did.

@daeus
            I hope you enjoy them.

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

BlueJay
            @bluejay
              • Total Posts: 1622

@clairec Have you read the operation series? There are five books in the series and they are wonderful. The titles are Foxtrot Five; Delta Bravo; Alpha Papa; Tango Two Two; Uniform Echo. The author is DJ Stutley. If you haven’t read them, you should look them up. They are set in Australia too.

Sarah Hoven
              @sarah-h

@Christi-Eaton Thank you. I’ll steer clear of those two. 🙂

Sarah Hoven
                @sarah-h

@bluejay — The only series I’ve read set in Australia is Adventures Down Under by Robert Elmer. Have you read them? They’re set in the 1800s. I want to read more Australian books; your homeland is so intriguing.

BlueJay
                  @bluejay

@sarah-h Yes, I have them. Wow! You’ve read them? That’s amazing. 🙂 They are great books, but I didn’t like what happened to Jeff. 🙁 And there a few too many snakes in there. 😉 The Billabong series are great Aussie books. And really good books. Mary Grant Bruce is the author if you want to look her up.

ClaireC
                    @clairec
                      • Total Posts: 628

@bluejay, Thanks for the recommendation! They look really interesting. 🙂

@sarah-h
                      . I have read them and love them. Actually I have only read the first two. My great grandparents actually came out from Ireland, so that’s basically where I come from. The other side of my family is full Scottish and English. In fact, apparently the Scottish side owned/part-owned the Scone (said Scoone) Palace, the palace from which the Stone of Scone was taken by England. Basically it was stone that the Scottish crowned their kings on, but when the English took over Scotland, they took the stone and put it in their coronation throne, to symbolize that when they crowned a king of England, they were also being crowned king of Scotland. We went to Scone Palace last year, which was really interesting.
                      Sorry, that was a bit of a ramble, but it’s something I’m interested in. So, yeah. 🙂
                      By the way, if you wait a few years, there hopefully will be another Aussie book out there…Hmmm! 😛

Official Member of the Certified Club of Aussie Kapeefers

Sarah Hoven
                      @sarah-h

@bluejay I know, the ending with Jeff was terrible. Have you read his other two series, the Young Underground and the Promise of Zion? They are really good too, although Promise of Zion has a similar tragic ending. I found the Billabong series! I can’t wait to read it; thank you for suggesting it. 🙂 And…speaking of snakes…I have a really dumb question, but I’m so curious I can’t help it. Where you live, do you see animals like koalas and kangaroos?

@ClaireC
                        Really!?! That’s amazing! I love Irish and Scottish history; it’s one of my favorite things to study. Did your great grandparents come over when Australia was still a prison colony, or was it after that? Have you read the Galway Chronicles by Bodie Thoene? It’s set in Ireland in the 1850’s, and I learned a lot from it about how difficult life in Ireland was. In one of the books, the MC is sentenced to go to Australia, but is shipwrecked- sort of- off Africa. It’s so cool that you’ve been to Scotland! I had heard about the Stone of Scone, but I didn’t realize it was taken from a palace. And please ramble all you want! I am very interested. 🙂

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Sarah Hoven.
                        ClaireC
                        @clairec
                          • Total Posts: 628

@bluejay, I can’t believe you’ve read the Billabong series! My older sister started collecting them when she was 12. We now have the whole series, and they have come from all over Australia! I’m savouring them, so I’m only on the 9th one. I want them to last as long as possible, so I’m reading them REALLY slowly! 🙂

@sarah-h
                          . My great grandparents came out from Ireland in 1909. They were immigrants. 😉 *evil laugh* We’re not convicts…um, well, maybe on one side of the family…!
                          And to answer a question that wasn’t really asked of me (but I don’t think you’ll mind), In the cities we don’t (which I guess kind of goes without saying), but when you get out a little ways, you do see koalas and kangaroos…and enchidnas, kookaburras (we do have them in the city/suburbs), snakes (we regularly have carpet pythons in our yard, but they’re perfectly harmless), emus, seals, green turtles, quokkas, wallabies, wombats, tassie devils (only in Tasmania) AND…very rarely, platypuses! Sorry, I couldn’t help it! 🙂 But seriously, we have a lot of wildlife, and we really do see it. Mind you, I traveled around Australia when I was six so, we probably ended up seeing more than your average, I’ve-lived-in-the-same-city-all-my-life Australian. There I go rambling again! I digress. 😛
                          Oh, by the way, that was a perfectly logical question. 🙂

Official Member of the Certified Club of Aussie Kapeefers

BlueJay
                          @bluejay

I have read the entire Promise of Zion and one or two of the other one. I don’t mind the ending so much for Promise of Zion. It’s better than Jeff’s end. 🙁
                            Great, you’ll have to tell me what you think when you finish them. 🙂
                            Not a dumb question at all. And you like rambling…here goes. 🙂
                            I live near the bottom of Victoria and it’s and awesome place. We have live here for 19 years. In 2009 a bushfire can through, but thankfully God spared our house. Our shed, cubby, swings and slide, sandpit, gardens went. Neighbours both sides lost their homes.
                            Before the fires we got birds of all sorts. And wallabies, koalas, goanna (once) SNAKES!!!! (still get them) lyrebirds, wombats, and echidnas.
                            After the fires we got a few of those animals back but not many.
                            It’s been about 7 years since the fires now and we have had a wombat or two, a few wallabies and the usual bird life. But nothing like what we use to see, which is sad.
                            When we drive into town (about 20 minutes away) we see kangaroos and wallabies. Wombats at night and Mum just saw a koala cross the road. So they’re still about.
                            Does that answer your question? 🙂 Feel free to ask me more. I’m more than willing to tell you what I can. (maybe, if you do ask more questions, move it into “where do you live” forum, so we don’t fill this one up with the wrong information) 😉

@sarah-h

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by BlueJay.
                            Sarah Hoven
                            @sarah-h

@claireC @bluejay I shall move to the “where do you live” topic, as you suggested…

Anonymous
                                • Total Posts: 1486

@christi-eaton I’m a bit late on this but I’ve also read the Fiddlers Gun. I don’t really have anything writerly to say about it, except I was impressed with the authors ability to make me root for Fin even though I didn’t agree with her view of God and life in general.

I was sucked in by the writing style, but by the end of the book I was really sad. I was waiting for Fin to find redemption the whole book, and didn’t realize her character arc was a negative one until it was too late to turn back. (I don’t really like negative character arcs cause they are so depressing, but I have to admit, the author pulled it off really well).

Oh yeah and SPOLER ALERT Tan! At the very end my favorite character has to die! That was also one of the reasons I was extremely sad after reading the book.

Over all, I actually didn’t like the book that much because of the lack of redemption. Am I allowed to ask if Fin finds hope in the second book?

Anonymous
                                  • Total Posts: 1486

@Bluejay Those books sound interesting! I’ll have to add them to my need to read list.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 72 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >