Have you ever fallen out of love with writing?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week Have you ever fallen out of love with writing?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen
    @kathleenramm
      • Total Posts: 635

Have you ever fallen out of love with writing? What do you think was the reason?

I’ve fallen out of love with writing a few times, and after some reflection, these times usually happened when my life was mundane and too comfortable.

And on the flip side when life was hectic or when I going through something super different, way out of my comfort zone, or hanging around new (or even mean) people, that is when I’m most inspired to write.

I’m not sure how I should feel about that. XD On one hand, it forces me out of my small comfort zone which can be pretty anxiety inducing, but on the other hand I get so many great story, character, and theme ideas.

It is a bit poetic that the worst/hardest times of my life create the best stories, haha. When I’m filled with stress, sadness, hurt, or loneliness that’s when I want to write the most. Because it really helps me think through all my thoughts and emotions when I piece all this pain in a beautiful and meaningful story.

Sorry about my little emo rant, but I’d love to hear if you’ve ever fallen out of love with writing and what you think the reason was.

Linyang Zhang
      @devastate-lasting
        • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm Ah, I’ve heard that the best stories are all written by people who’ve suffered. So, well, I guess when we’re going through trials, we can see it as something good for our writing.

Me… I’ve had times where I didn’t write, usually burnout. But never really fallen out of love with it, like I do with piano. I mean, maybe there have been times where I hated what I was writing, how awkward my words felt or how undeveloped the characters were. But I guess mainly that was me annoyed with imperfections.

Lately, it's been on my brain
        Would you mind letting me know
        If hours don't turn into days

Keilah H.
        @keilah-h
          • Total Posts: 3875

I’ve never stopped liking writing. In fact, the only experience I can think of is the fact that I could always tell great stories using drawings, but hated writing when I was younger. I learned to write better (long story about that) and soon came up with the Tesla anthology, about an electric eel. Then came my first fanfic, which doesn’t really have a title, and then came MANY more stories, fanfic and otherwise. (Oh yeah, and I still like telling stories with drawings.)

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Elanor
          @elanor
            • Total Posts: 186

@kathleenramm

Personally, I find that I also write the very best when there’s stuff going on in my life when I’m in a new place, or a new friendship, something I’ve discovered more recently in the Bible or in my schoolwork, etc.

When life settles into being monotonous I have absolutely no aspirations or desires to write anything. All the inspiration seems to have disappeared at those times.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf

Elfwing
            @elfwing
              • Total Posts: 486

@kathleenramm

well… I don’t think I have fallen out of love of writing… granted, I’ve only been seriously dedicating time to writing the last two years and before that, I hated anything that required a keyboard or a pencil, but now my keyboard has grooves worn in the keys from me using them so much! XD

I get bored with my stories sometimes, but I still like writing. I use my emotions and struggles to my advantage and so far it has worked pretty well; I go to different scenes in my book that are somewhat related to what’s happening and let my emotions filter into a similar event I was trying to write about before Although… it often means the emotions I was struggling to write before automatically seep into the scene and are almost dripping out of the pages XD

I agree that my writing is also better in hard times, but I have learned to use it; when I’m spiritually struggling, I write a story, and usually by the end I am doing better. That was the case with my short story ‘The Current’; I started out frustrated and confused, and by the end of letting it out I realized I wasn’t really lost. I was just not trusting God’s will, and I trying too hard to make my way in life without God.

I have no idea if what I just wrote made sense. Sorry! XD

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Anonymous
                • Total Posts: 1379

@kathleenramm

I experienced a time just very recently when I fell out of love with writing. I love my novel, The Apostle’s Sister, so much, and it’s held my heart captive, so I know I’ll never be able to work on any other novel until this one is out in the world as is God’s will. And I’ve just recently accepted it’s His will.

That hits the nail on the head. I “fell out of love with writing” because I wasn’t working on what God was calling me to work on. I knew what He wanted me to do, but I was set on ignoring that because I “wanted to work on something else.” So I wondered why I found myself unable to write and why I had no passion. That’s why. God was telling me to work on the story He’s called me to write, and I was ignoring Him.

Once I decided to follow His calling, I realized that since I write for His glory, that’s what will bring me the joy in writing. And I was right. I’m even more excited about TAS than before, and I feel joy every time I think about it and work on it (doing character profiles right now!). I have so many new ideas and know God will take it where He wants it to go.

Ribbonash
                @ribbonash
                  • Total Posts: 97

@kathleenramm

Wow, perfect timing with this topic because I just happened to realised the other week that I had fallen out of love for writing. I’m just now recovering from a year and half of not being as in love as I was when I was younger, when I first started. I have several reasons.

(1 I had to restart and get new ideas with God more in the process

(2 Study

(3 Started my WIP too soon, needed to brainstorm more first

(4 Mental health issues

So yeah, it’s been a rough journey, but it has taught me so many things, stuff that I can use to write into the my main WIP and into my real life as well. 😀

Kathleen
                  @kathleenramm

@devastate-lasting

I totally get that now. My short life so far is so blessed and comfortable, but there have been some pretty low points in which my writing inspiration was most high.

Has something different ever happened to you in which you were particularly inspired to write?

@elanor

Yeah, that’s exactly how I feel sometimes. But the good news is that usually the most crazy things happen after a period of monotonous time. Well, at least from my experience.

What’s the most recent thing that has inspired your writing?

@keilah-h

That’s so cool. I absolutely love art along with writing. At some point of time I’d love to publish a graphic novel.

Does the art or story come first for you?

@elfwing

That makes total sense! Although I mainly write stories in chronological order, I also love utilizing what I’m feeling to the advantage of my story. It can be so cathartic.

I love that your story The Current helped you through a difficult time. When you compare it to your other works does it stand out story wise from the rest because of what you were going through?

Kathleen
                    @kathleenramm

@joy-caroline

That’s wonderful how you pursued writing the story that God wanted you to do. It could even be that God lessened your passion for writing so you would focus on writing the story that really mattered to him. It could be so easy to forget about it and let it go, but it’s so cool that you went through with it.

I think God has recently called me to write a certain story, the idea came to me out of nowhere, and I am now more excited to work on it than any other story before. It’s really interesting.

Was there a particular sign from God that let you know that he wanted you to work on The Apostle’s Sister, or was is just a deep feeling inside you?

@ribbonash

Yeah, what I’ve learned from all the years I’ve written, it definitely not linier path. Although I may not always write consistently, writing is always there to fall back on. All I need is a piece of paper, a pen, a imagination and the stories are there .

So don’t be too hard on yourself if you have fallen out of love for now. When the time is right, something will happen or you’ll see something or hear something and you’ll be so inspired to write again and it will feel more right than ever. I’ll be praying for you!

Elfwing
                      @elfwing
                        • Total Posts: 486

@kathleenramm

id say… it doesn’t necessarily stand out in my mind at first thought; my struggle has been health, a degenerative tissue disease and it’s been ongoing since I was about thirteen, so for about four almost five years and comes with chronic pain every day.

the story does summarize my journey in life very well, though. So I suppose it so stand out because it’s me acknowledging that when I’m in a really low place it’s usually I’m trying too hard to control everything when God has a plan. If that makes sense lol. Most of my other stories or writing focuses right on how I feel in that moment and doesn’t end with the encouraged note that The Current does because by the time I’m done complaining I’ve forgotten being upset already  XD it’s more of a vent it and be done sort of thing If that makes sense lol

but I’m a tigger kind of gal most days.

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Anonymous
                          • Total Posts: 1379

@kathleenramm

Thank you! I really think you’re right – it was God lessening my passion for writing so I would realize I already had a story He wanted me to write.

Oh, that’s wonderful! I totally think you should write it. <3

Hmm, interesting question! While there was always that conviction deep inside that I should be writing TAS, God did give me some particular signs. During that time of burnout, I actually used to make a literal daily prayer asking Him to give me a story I was passionate about and would honor Him. The irony, haha, and all the while I just heard his answer like, “Girl, the answer to your prayer is right in front of your face.” XD Also when friends would ask me, “Are you still working on the story about Paul and Temira?” and I always felt really sad telling them I was taking a hiatus, as well as seeing the disappointment on their faces. XD

Linyang Zhang
                          @devastate-lasting
                            • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm Mm…I don’t think that watching movies and reading other books really are considered something different, ha… But after my teacher died my writing changed a lot, I think.

Lately, it's been on my brain
                            Would you mind letting me know
                            If hours don't turn into days

Elanor
                            @elanor
                              • Total Posts: 186

@kathleenramm

Well most recently my inspiration for writing was my experience of moving almost all the way across Canada. I used to live in Alberta and now I’m in Nova Scotia so going that far, seeing, experiencing, and feeling so many things inspired me to write some.

I write mostly poetry.

One I’ve written I called “A Tree” and it was about the seasons we go through in life. I have written many others about how I see the majesty of God on all of His creation. The ocean, the sunsets, the innumerable creatures all made uniquely. I just can’t look around without being awed by all He’s made.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf

Anatra
                              @anatra23
                                • Total Posts: 211

@kathleenramm

This is a good question. So I find that I fall out of writing or lose my love for it when my life seems to be going well. Or, I should say, when my emotions are in check. My love for writing has come to depend on my emotions, and the emotions of my family. I was in a dark place two years ago, and so was my family. We were all struggling, and it was only when I went to my room and screamed for a minute that I realized I needed a vent for my emotions. So, after dropping it for a while, I picked writing back up. I felt that because I couldn’t feel God, I needed something to take my mind off of my pain, conflicting emotions, and what felt like the loss of my loving heavenly father. It was the wrong mindset, and I have a much better mindset about God and my relationship with Him now, but It’s when I am mad, or upset, or sad or happy when I rediscover my love to write. It’s a struggle to keep it going day by day, but God has provided me with the materials to do what I love, and has given me this love as well.

Basically, I’ve come to a point where my writing is my therapy, my love, and my outlet to emotions.

That was a little bit deep, sorry abt that.

Everyone else, that was some food for thought. Lol this is a deep topic.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Anatra.
                                Precious Y
                                @precious-y
                                  • Total Posts: 27

@kathleenramm

This is such a great discussion topic. The truth is that I’ve never fallen out of love with writing because I haven’t written consistently enough. I think the reason why is that I put so much pressure on myself that I gave up before giving myself a good start. What’s your advice for this issue? So I think that now this summer that I’m trying to grow my writing muscle I look at that. And I’ll try to figure out if it’s because of writer’s block.

It makes sense that you’re writing inspiration increases in difficult situations. I mean I feel more motivated to journal and reflect on my day when I’m sad or things aren’t going well. It’s nice you pointed this out because most people think that inspiration only comes when you’re happy or more stable. Writing can either be an escape during difficult times or the opposite. If it’s the opposite i think the best advice would be not to panic and understand that you’re in a phase that will pass away.

This gave me a lot to think about so thank you. I’ll definitely use these tips when I get into a writing rut 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >